C Fireworks Display In Suphanburi

jonnyscot

Hi, terrible scenes tonight here in Suphanburi at the fireworks display at the temple where the big dragon is located, I didn't attend myself but from what I've heard more than 30 injured, and at least a couple of fatalities, still hearing the fire trucks passing our house, looks like they are taking extra fire trucks from Ayuthaya to help,, many vehicles burnt out and homes on fire,, hopefully they will get things under control soon as I believe there's also a gas station in the vicinity,, Condolences to anyone affected by this tragedy.

Hi fredo, thanks although our family are not directly affected, we live about 3 km from the area, the display was for the Chinese new year, latest are 3 fatalities and more than 30 injured, I just watched local tv reports saying 20 + homes burnt out and 30 cars burnt out, the authorities have now put a no go area of 1 km around the scene.

Hi fredo, thanks although our family are not directly affected, we live about 3 km from the area, the display was for the Chinese new year, latest are 3 fatalities and more than 30 injured, I just watched local tv reports saying 20 + homes burnt out and 30 cars burnt out, the authorities have now put a no go area of 1 km around the scene.

Another well organised display. When will the local's learn about health and safety. I'll get the G/L to look at the news today and see that they say about it. If it's as big as you say it'll more than likely be in the paper's BKK post tomorrow. Update's as and when please.

Another well organised display. When will the local's learn about health and safety. I'll get the G/L to look at the news today and see that they say about it. If it's as big as you say it'll more than likely be in the paper's BKK post tomorrow. Update's as and when please.

Update Have just looked at the morning news seem's there are at least 50 house's on fire. I didn't realise how big the festivities were, so called Film star's local dignitary's quite a show well until it all went pair shaped, and all caught on camera. As you know Thai's don't mess about when it come's to showing us the gory detail's. By the look of thing's this will take month's to clear up.

Just visited the site this morning, total carnage,, I saw more than 15 homes that were severely damaged(roofs, walls gone etc), and many more with roof tiles or windows broken, many of the severely damaged accomodation were the monks living quarters, I saw at least half a dozen cars that were burnt out completely including a fire truck that had been on the scene, some of the temple buildings had many roof tiles gone from the roof, the immediate area where the display was has been closed off to the public with barrier tape, I saw a couple of what I assumed were bomb disposal experts from the military checking whether any of the remaining fireworks were still live,,, the force of some of the impacts I saw on some of the damaged buildings,, some which were more than 300 metres from the display position made me think that it's only by sheer luck that the casualty count wasn't even higher.

A large number of people had been made homeless due to this tragedy and I noticed a few camps set up around the temple to give them shelter and food stations set up to provide them with food, I thought about offering a donation but I decided maybe best to return later in the day with a food or clothing donation.

This fireworks display has been held by the same organisation/company for the last 4 years without major incident,, but my feeling is considering the close proximity to surrounding buildings(some wooden homes were at a guess less than 100 mtr from the fireworks positions) this to my thinking was an accident just waiting to happen.

I took a few photos of the scene on my iPhone but unsure if I can upload and post directly from it.

oh, man...don't tell me...down here in Songphinong there were few fireworks and no incidents...about half the vendors down the market in Bang Li are chinese and I said 'bpii mai' to the folks down The Big Store...

a goddam stinkin' tragedy when folks are just tryin' to have a good time...my condolences to those affected...

Hi Tutsie, yes, it sure was quite a tragedy for the area, that along with the minivan accident in the area and just a couple of days apart, still it didn't seem to dampen the spirits of the Chinese festivities here in Suphan only 2 days after the injury and loss of life at the fireworks display at the dragon temple, they started the festivities with a fantastic stage show outside the temple, according to the MIL I even got myself some airtime with the kids with national TV's channel 3 reporting of the event,,, Guess the white face in the crowd must've stood out like a sore thumb,,, hehe,,