60 Day Extension Based On Marriage

How many times a year can you get a 60 day extension based on a marriage to a Thai wife?

I ask because I may not have a job for several months and do not have the required amount to put in the bank for savings.

I have a Non B visa and have already had 2 yearly extensions based on my marriage.

I live in Phuket, I am a 58 year old American.

Thank you

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is unlimited.

Some people try to say that some immigration offices may have a cap at around 4 or 5 extensions, but I've never seen anybody, or even seen reports of anybody being refused because they have too many of them.

I personally know people with just under 10 of these in a row so far, no problem at all.

They enjoy a nice drive to Cambodia from Bangkok, a nice splurge on some nice wines in the duty free (they actually save money on the whole deal by not buying these in Thailand).

They re-enter getting a 15 day stamp, then go to immigration with the wife and extend it for 60 days, with none of the hassles and hoops that the 1yr extension requires.

It's called the 'unofficial Marriage Visa' btw. Plenty doing it, never heard of anyone being knocked back since the rules were amended a few years ago. smile.png

Edited by hehehoho

It is not called a marriage visa of any type (there is no marriage visa). And can not be used on itself but normally will be allowed on a new entry (there have been reports of limitations however). It might be a better plan to obtain multi entry non immigrant O visa. KL would only require savings of 100k. Or single from anywhere for 90 day stay followed by 60 day extension if required.

There is no official limit, but you cannot get more than 1 in a row.

Just to clarify this, as it doesn't read as 100% clear.

You cannot get a second extension without having left the country. So after an extension you have to leave the country and re-enter, you don't even need to re-enter on a visa, re-entering on a 15 or 30 Day VE is fine, as long as you leave and re-enter Thailand between the 60 day extensions.

crying.gif I have seen such reports on Thai Visa. But really do not have time to re-read every post. As I recall one was a yearly limit,

Can you try to search using keywords, I have and nothing shows up. And I have never seen a report despite being on numourous Thai forums for the past 6 years.

I have seen such reports with people telling about limitations too. Some offices even limit it to once a year.

Ciang Mai seems to limits it to 1 time per entry, even if you have multiple yearly extensions in between. While others will give a new 60 day extension after a 1 year extension of stay.

In Chiang Mai, I was allowed 60 day extension once after 1 yr multi non O expired. Left the country, returned with double entry tourist visa. 60 day extension was refused. Was advised if I applied for another non O out of country, it might be allowed, just the once again.

Hi Lopburi3,

Please re read my original post.

I said that I have a Non B visa and have already had 2 one year extensions based on my marriage.

I currently have a one year extension based on my marriage.

Does this change anything?

Thanks

Sorry we went off-track and mistook the marriage to mean the 60 day extension rather than both. You can remain on your extension of stay in that case as loss of job will not effect it (until next renewal if you can not provide financials). No need for 60 day extension unless it also coming up for renewal. So if you leave the country with a re-entry permit your current permitted to stay will be kept alive and if you find new job they should be able to issue a new work permit.

I said that I have a Non B visa and have already had 2 one year extensions based on my marriage.

I currently have a one year extension based on my marriage.

Does this change anything?

Thanks

Your original post was regarding the 60 Day 'Visiting Wife' Extension;

If you apply for a WP again whilst still on a current one year extension based on marriage with an original non B visa, then Phuket Labour will issue a new WP.

However if your one year extension ends and you then get a 60 day 'Visting Wife' extension then Phuket Labour will not consider your original non B status as 'preserved' and will thus not issue your new WP on application, until you have done a visa run and obtained a fresh non B visa/ 90 day entry to Thailand.

You would have the same problem in Phuket if you make the 60 day 'Visiting Wife' Extension to extend a 90 day Single Entry non B visa entry.

racyrick, just wondering how you got a one year marriage extension on a B visa. Do you make over the required 40k/month?

The category of non-immigrant visa doesn't matter (unless it is an Ed-class visa). You can get an extension of stay based on having a Thai wife if you have a non-B based on working in Thailand. The other way around is also possible.

• 1 month later...

It is unlimited.

Some people try to say that some immigration offices may have a cap at around 4 or 5 extensions, but I've never seen anybody, or even seen reports of anybody being refused because they have too many of them.

I personally know people with just under 10 of these in a row so far, no problem at all.

They enjoy a nice drive to Cambodia from Bangkok, a nice splurge on some nice wines in the duty free (they actually save money on the whole deal by not buying these in Thailand).

They re-enter getting a 15 day stamp, then go to immigration with the wife and extend it for 60 days, with none of the hassles and hoops that the 1yr extension requires.

It's called the 'unofficial Marriage Visa' btw. Plenty doing it, never heard of anyone being knocked back since the rules were amended a few years ago. smile.png

Please help me with this.

Unfortunally I had to stay longer then a year, so my year visa has expired. I went to the boorder for the 15 day stamp and now I would like to get me the 60 day extention based on marriage. Where should I go and is there a name for this kind of visa? How much does it cost? I am married to a Thai and I live in Suphanburi.

Thx for your help in advance.

You and wife visit immigration and ask for a 60 day extension of stay using the normal tm.7 application and 4x6cm photo and providing proof of marriage. If you need longer a multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for one year of 90 day stays is likely available with an overnight to Savannakhet in Laos using marriage certificate/wife ID card and home register copies.

Sorry if this is a double post.

Thx for the info. Does it matter which immigration office I choose? And in case of a Non Immigrand O, should I be registered in the tabiabaan too? I did not do yet....

• 3 weeks later...

There is no official limit, but you cannot get more than 1 in a row.

You might be better of applying for a mutiple non-O in Savanakhet, Laos. Curently they are issueing multiple non-O's there without the need for financial proof.

Mario - can you get a 15 day extension on the 60 days? I am on a 60-day extension now and was hoping to gain 2 extra weeks, due to my schedule changing, without leaving the country. I actually started a new thread here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/542224-getting-a-15-day-extension-on-a-60-day-extension/page__fromsearch__1 before seeing this related thread.

I asked this question earlier but a bit confused. I failed to get a re-entry permit on a few days trip out of thai. I had a 1 year extension based on marriage. Do I now just go to Chang wattana and do a conversion to non-o? will i need to leave the country to do the 1 year extension or not? When I go to CW immig can I put the 1 year extension app in at same time as conversion? please advise. Sorry if I trolling.

Thanks

Unless you have more than a week or two remaining (not clear how little they allow) you would first have to obtain a non immigrant visa entry or a longer permitted to stay. If you do have enough time to be accepted you appear at an office that can do conversion (Bangkok for most not able to do at there local office) with financials and paperwork for normal one year extension of stay for Thai wife extension and convert or obtain non immigrant visa entry for 2,000 baht and then after 60 days do the normal one year extension of stay again. Do not believe any office will accept both at same time anymore but you can ask (but only if office is your normal home province location). As you mention Chiang Watanna suspect you living in Bangkok so will do both here.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently have the 60 days. It's for family reasons and you can do this ONLY ONCE a YEAR.

Goodluck!

You should recheck this info because I have got them multiple times within a year. I've just never tried to get one back to back.

Edit: FYI, I am in Bangkok and use this immigration office.

Edited by Nisa