Affimation Freedom To Marry - How Long Is It Valid?

I need to make a trip to the British Embassy + Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get passport verified and was wondering if I should also get an Affimation Freedom To Marry document at the same time as I rarely get to Bangkok. Not getting married for 6 months.

Any Ideas?

My understanding is there is no exact time limit set, but it will come down to the discretion of the officer at the town hall that you are lucky enough, or unlucky enough, as the case may be, to encounter. My guess would be though, if it can be shown in your passport that you have not returned to you home country since the affirmation document was made, you could not possibly have got married in the meantime, and therefore whether it be one week old, or one year old, it should remain valid. Hopefully someone will come along with a more exact answer for you. Good luck.

Those papers are generally used within a month and in most cases almost straight away. I wouldnt try it after 6 months.

The above post raises a valid comment about having proof you havnt left the country BUT it doesnt mean you havnt married someone else since it was issued.

Its also fair to say that not all offices/Amphurs are the same and may well havnt different standards.

My advice would be to get one when its needed and within 30 days of use.

Those papers are generally used within a month and in most cases almost straight away. I wouldnt try it after 6 months.

The above post raises a valid comment about having proof you havnt left the country BUT it doesnt mean you havnt married someone else since it was issued.

Its also fair to say that not all offices/Amphurs are the same and may well havnt different standards.

My advice would be to get one when its needed and within 30 days of use.

The document only shows that you aren't registered as being married in your home country and if you have not been back since the document was produced, that status can not possibly have changed.

I agree though that sooner the better would be best, and if it is more than a month or so, prepare yourself to have problems - after all, it doesn't require a lot for those to arise when dealing with government offices, now does it!

My understanding is there is no exact time limit set, but it will come down to the discretion of the officer at the town hall that you are lucky enough, or unlucky enough, as the case may be, to encounter. My guess would be though, if it can be shown in your passport that you have not returned to you home country since the affirmation document was made, you could not possibly have got married in the meantime, and therefore whether it be one week old, or one year old, it should remain valid. Hopefully someone will come along with a more exact answer for you. Good luck.

The officer at the town hall has nothing to do in reaity with the affirmation to marry. I think you mean the person at the MFA who sees it translated into Thai and then certifies that it is legal and that the person can get married in Thailand

The officer at the town hall has nothing to do in reaity with the affirmation to marry

Try getting married without it; he is the person directly involved who will check the contents with both MFA for registration and interview with person. As this is "the" requirement they take it very seriously and I suspect they would have serious doubts about any that were not very current as it is there job on the line.

The officer at the town hall has nothing to do in reaity with the affirmation to marry. I think you mean the person at the MFA who sees it translated into Thai and then certifies that it is legal and that the person can get married in Thailand

The officer at the town hall has everything to do with whether the affirmation to marry document is deemed acceptable. It is he or she who will scrutinize it and allow you to marry or not - it is he or she who will look at the date the document was produced, and make a decision on whether he or she thinks too much time has elapsed. It will come down to his or her discretion, as there seem to be no hard and fast rules on when the document expires so to speak.

The authorization is done by the MFA, if they deem it to be too old they will not marry you.

Not to put down many Government officials, of which my mother in law is one, but how many of them can read English, they ask the partner the names of the persons parents and do not take a good look at it, so would not see the date, as long as they have the authorisation from the MFA then they will do it.

But to the OP, always have a recent one, as unless you do the MFA being your first point of call will say no.

The authorization is done by the MFA, if they deem it to be too old they will not marry you.

Not to put down many Government officials, of which my mother in law is one, but how many of them can read English, they ask the partner the names of the persons parents and do not take a good look at it, so would not see the date, as long as they have the authorisation from the MFA then they will do it.

But to the OP, always have a recent one, as unless you do the MFA being your first point of call will say no.

Authorisation from the MFA is the first step yes, but just as important is getting authorisation from the local government official, as these people have the final say. And there is no language issue for them as you are giving them the translated version.

The question from the OP as i read it, concerned how long one has from having got authorisation from the MFA, to when one goes to the town hall to do the deed. The question was not how long one has from getting the Affirmation to Marry document translated, to having it authorised by the MFA.

I believe the poster is talking about the document/translation/MFA registration taking place long before it being presented to local office for actual marriage. The content of the document is in Thai - the MFA only confirms it was issued by Embassy and the translation appears accurate thus making it a legal document under Thai law. Local office can read Thai and they are who make the decision to accept for marriage purpose or not.

Quote from the ACS at the US Embassy regarding freedom to marriage document:

"There isn’t a time limit on the affidavit, however, we have found that the Thai MFA and sometimes the Amphur Office will hesitate to take an affidavit that is more than 30 days old."

Quote from the ACS at the US Embassy regarding freedom to marriage document:

"There isn’t a time limit on the affidavit, however, we have found that the Thai MFA and sometimes the Amphur Office will hesitate to take an affidavit that is more than 30 days old."

Thanks for all your replies. I think that 30 days sounds logical from the buracratic nature of the paper work freaks.

Yes I did mean once I have the AFM document from the MFA how long can I have it in my possession before I present it to the Ampur who will then allow me to marry there and then.

Thanks All