Applying For A Non Imm O Visa.

Hi.

With the advice of a couple of senior members on this forum, I will try to apply for a Non imm O visa myself instead of using a Visa Agency.

I am traveling to Thailand for 7 months and want to apply for a Non Imm O Visa at the Thai Embassy in New York.

Since I am at the retirement age of 50+, I will apply for a retirement visa when I reach Thailand.

Reading the Thai Consulate website (New York) I will have all their required documents except it state under additional requirements, “Employment verification or a guarantor's letter from a U.S. resident”.

Question: Since I am retired what guarantor letter would they require?

I can provide the name/address relative as a guarantor. Would that be sufficient?

They also requests a reference person and address in Thailand?

Question: Could I provide a hotel porter (I know) working at a hotel in Pattaya?

Did anyone else have to provide similar info for their O visa? Or is this a requirement for countries other than the U.S.

They state two types of entry fees for an O visa.

1. $80.00 for a single entry 90 day.

2. $200.00 for a 1 year multiple entry.

Question: Since I am going to apply for a Retirement Visa in Thailand would it be best for me to just go with the 90 day single?

If the retirement visa fails (for whatever reason) can Thai Immigration extend my single 90 day visa into a 1 year visa?

Thanks.

Tom.

R1. a relative is ok

2. The porter is ok.

3. A single entry visa should be sufficient, but it depends on what method you are using for financial qualification.

If you are using the monthly inbcome method, all you have to have is a sworn affidavit from the US Embassy in Bangkok that you are making at least 65000 baht/month from outside of Thailand. Readily available.

If you are using the 800000 baht bank deposit, the money must be in a Thai bank in your name for 60 days before you can apply for the extension. So you have to open an account in Thailand and transfer the funds quickly. If you are going to use this method you should set this up with your bank in the US before you come to Thailand

As New York is an official mission of Thailand rather than Honorary Consulate I would suggest using Portland or other location by mail as official missions are expected to provide non immigrant O-A visa for retirement information. If you want to do in Thailand you only need a single entry non immigrant O visa (and failing that could come on a tourist visa and convert here for an extra 2,000 baht).

Thanks Wayned & Lopburi3.

I will be bringing my Bank Statement showing sufficient funds in my checking account.

If I use your method1, I should make appointment with the US embassy in Bangkok.

Show them my bank statement which will be authorized that I will have sufficient funds.

To obtain my Retirement Visa I need:

This affidavit showing proof of income along with:

Retirement visa form,

Passport(Having a Non O visa),

Medical checkup rpt,

Letter stating permanent address in Thailand,

3 passport photo,

Police report from US (not sure if I need this),

Thanks.

Tom.

If you will be using the 65000 baht/month income method, you will have to make an appointment at either the Embassy in Bangkok or the consulate in Chaing mai. No proof is requied. You fill in the form stating the amount of money that you are receiving from outside of Thailand in USD and the Embassy notarizes it. Cost $50.00. When you apply for your extension, Immigration will convet the USD to Thai Baht at the exchange rate on the day you apply. Google "ACS US Embassy Bangkok" to download the form and make an appointment.

If you are using the 800000 baht bank deposit method, the money must be in a Thai bank, in your name, for at least two months before you apply the first time, 3 months for follow-on extensions. You will have to get a letter from the bank stating the amount in your account, usually within a day from the date you are applying and a copy of your bankbook. Some offices require that the letter be issued the same day and also a token transaction be made on the account. You do not have to go to the Embassy.

You do not need the Medical Certificate, or FBI check if you are applying for an extension in Thailand. It is only requied for an O/A visa which is issued in the US.

You must apply for your extension at the immigration office that is responsible for the area where you live - the address on your proof of residence. The exact requirements differ slightly from office to office, mainly number of copies required and type of bank account (fixed or savings deposit).

Basically you will need:

1. TM 7 form, APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORAY STAY IN THE KINGDOM. It can be downloaded from the MFA website, but when you print it it must be printed double sided. It requires one picture. I would have at least an additional two of the same pictures in case they want more.

2.Copy of your passport: passport info page, visa page, arrival stamp, and arrival/departure card (fromt and back). Some offices require copies of all pages, so I would copy every page and let them give you back what they don't want

3. Proof of financial responsibility. Either the original letter from the bank and a copy of your bankbook showing the 800000 baht, or the original "Income Affidavit" from the US Embassy showing at least 65000 baht/month income. Even though the Enbassy doesn't require proof, some offices are requiring proof to back up the letter, so I would have it with you but don't show it unless asked.

4. Proof of residence. Rental agreement, utility bills, even letter from a hotel.

5. 1900 baht

As i said the number of copies will depend on the office used.

If I forgot anything, I'm sure that someone will come along and add.

Good luck!

Edited by wayned