Thai Baht

randysavage

oh it breaks my heart to see the pound is so low against the thai baht i can remember the giddy heights of 70bt to a pound 3 to 4 years ago, or the asian crisis a decade ago when for a short while you could get nearly 90bt to a pound. i keep reading in the papers that the thai goverment might cut intrest rates which would improve the exchange rate but nothing has happened yet. oh how i crave a strong pound so i can get more bang for my bucks abroad

But how high will it go? I for one have been following it for 6 months & we transfer when we think it's high but then are blown away by another jump - currency forecasting is the stuff of wizards!

JBL

The Briish pound has lost a lot of value against ALL major currencies (USD, EUR, CHF, JPY).

See the 10 year charts:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=10Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=CHF&view=10Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=JPY&view=10Y

Not much that the Thai government can do about.

I am afraid I have to tell you: get a reasonable government!

And the thread title would be: British Pound

I wonder what the feelings and commentary would be if you fellows were making and spending Baht as your principle income dependency. Hypothetical.

There has always been this underlying angst regarding the make-believe [and extraordinarily manipulated] world currency exchange. Even with the recent rising cost of living here, one still can have a much better [less financial strenuous] quality of life than compared to any industrialised Western country. Of course, we are talking of living within the foreign currency exchange lifestyle.

But how high will it go? I for one have been following it for 6 months & we transfer when we think it's high but then are blown away by another jump - currency forecasting is the stuff of wizards!

JBL

I can load you my crystal ball. It s kinda murky. Might need to give it a polish.

I treat it like a long term investment. Ride the waves, keep withdrawing consistently and forget about exchange rate. Unless there's a pending large transfer. Then I'll take notice of exchange rate but it's still educated gambling.

IMO you have the right approach, i.e., treat it like reverse dollar cost averaging in stock purchases.

You have to laugh at the cowboys on a forum like TV that claim to make a sustainable living on FOREX. Yeah, right, they are going to crystal ball it better than large entities like Deutschebank. But it does make for good entertinment, i.e., reading about some who apparently get their financial and medical advice as well as visa advice from posters on TV.

I treat it like a long term investment. Ride the waves, keep withdrawing consistently and forget about exchange rate. Unless there's a pending large transfer. Then I'll take notice of exchange rate but it's still educated gambling.

IMO you have the right approach, i.e., treat it like reverse dollar cost averaging in stock purchases.

You have to laugh at the cowboys on a forum like TV that claim to make a sustainable living on FOREX. Yeah, right, they are going to crystal ball it better than large entities like Deutschebank. But it does make for good entertinment, i.e., reading about some who apparently get their financial and medical advice as well as visa advice from posters on TV.

I make an incredibly good living trading forex full time. Some know how to profit on this market. I also manage funds for large investors. Of course this isn't something you just start doing one day and make a huge sum of money. Like anything else there is a learning curve and losses are part of the learning.

I make an incredibly good living trading forex full time. Some know how to profit on this market. I also manage funds for large investors. Of course this isn't something you just start doing one day and make a huge sum of money. Like anything else there is a learning curve and losses are part of the learning.

So you say, and some run Ponzi schemes and other scams. Others make a small fortune at it by starting with a large fortune. Which are you ... maybe also ex-CIA/SAS/Delta Force/Green Beret? I met one "Currency Trader" visionary last week in Udon Thani who was "teaching" English on the side. He was probably also managing large funds for others .... yeah.

Financial whiz on a TV Isaan forum. You just can't make this up or get better entertainment on the web.

So you say, and some run Ponzi schemes and other scams. Others make a small fortune at it by starting with a large fortune. Which are you ... maybe also ex-CIA/SAS/Delta Force/Green Beret? I met one "Currency Trader" visionary last week in Udon Thani who was "teaching" English on the side. He was probably also managing large funds for others .... yeah.

Financial whiz on a TV Isaan forum. You just can't make this up or get better entertainment on the web.

I don't have anything to prove to you. I'm not asking you for money nor would I manage your funds. Believe what you want. It's your life. Not sure what forex trader vs Issarn forum connection you have in your mind. Also, thailand is full of US ex military. Not sure if you are aware of this but Pattaya was a small little fishing town before the US mil came here and changed the scene. I too am ex US mil and my 1st visit to Thailand was when the C130 I was on landed on a small base in NE Thailand (Udon). It's no secret that that base was an old cia base from Vietnam war era (see air america). Believe what you want. Trust whom you want. But understand that if you go making ignorant posts that chances are someone will step up and correct you.

The baht-pound rate has traded in a narrow band of roughly 47 to 50 for the last 18 months. No point in wishing for a return to heady days, given prospective relative growth rates in the UK and Thailand. Just monitor the rate carefully (at least weekly) and when it spikes (albeit spikes are very modest) hit it with a transfer of some substance. I managed to get at least one year's spending accross here at a rate of 50 in 2010. Last year it was 49.5. I'll hit it again this year if and when it goes over 49. Yes - one year I'll get caught out and it will continue to rise above my target rate but like all investing it's sensible to strike when it's toasty-warm, rather than waiting and hoping for a red-hot day.

No use as a suggested strategy obvious;ly if you have to bring money into Thailand on an as-earned basis.

• Like 2

Jayman,

Please, please tell me about Thailand. I've been here since the mid-70s and I am a slow learner. Please oh please step up and correct me.

The Force is weak in this one as is his googling skills. You might try Wikipedia Princess.

dam_n, you just can't get entertainment like this outside of the internet; financial whizs and GI money managers in Isaan, but you can try and step up and correct me on that.

Jayman,

Please, please tell me about Thailand. I've been here since the mid-70s and I am a slow learner. Please oh please step up and correct me.

The Force is weak in this one as is his googling skills. You might try Wikipedia Princess.

dam_n, you just can't get entertainment like this outside of the internet; financial whizs and GI money managers in Isaan, but you can try and step up and correct me on that.

Can't teach an OLD dog new tricks. I'm not going to even try. You just keep thinking/believe whatever you want. I'm sure that's working out fine for you.

You make a lot on very incorrect assumptions.... Just cause you are in Issarn doesn't mean I am. You could check my profile on TV to see that.. no need for you to task google on it old timer.

Edited by Jayman

Jayman,

Can't teach an OLD dog new tricks. I'm not going to even try. You just keep thinking/believe whatever you want. I'm sure that's working out fine for you.

You make a lot on very incorrect assumptions.... Just cause you are in Issarn doesn't mean I am. You could check my profile on TV to see that.. no need for you to task google on it old timer.

Yes, thank you. It is working out fabulously for me, i.e., reading TV for entertainment, especially for the financial advice comedy and relying on a mix of US stocks, bonds and real estate for income. It is good to not be spending anything on a fee to have any of that "managed" by a poseur on a website. Financial manager .... yeah, right ... but then again you can be anyone you want to be on the web.

Why would anyone bother with a TV profile? Anyone that includes personal information on an entertainment site such as TV is a can or two short of a 6-pack. Ah .... your target customer. Good business plan.

Jayman,

Yes, thank you. It is working out fabulously for me, i.e., reading TV for entertainment, especially for the financial advice comedy and relying on a mix of US stocks, bonds and real estate for income. It is good to not be spending anything on a fee to have any of that "managed" by a poseur on a website. Financial manager .... yeah, right ... but then again you can be anyone you want to be on the web.

Why would anyone bother with a TV profile? Anyone that includes personal information on an entertainment site such as TV is a can or two short of a 6-pack. Ah .... your target customer. Good business plan.

ROTFL.. living in Issarn and making money on the stock market. get real. No one that lives in Issarn can make money on the stock market. What a joke. Now I see what you mean by entertainment. I'm sure glad your Social Security check is enough to pay for your internet or you'd be bored to death up there.

Jayman,

I have my profile on, nothing to hide, think if I want someone to take notice of what I write, they should be able to see who I am. Those who hide behind aliases and avatars are often not who they try to make others believe they are.

Off to Pattaya in a few days and will no doubt be sitting drinking with a bunch of millionaires and ex special forces guys who are working as international security consultants. Don't find many factory workers or truck drivers here. Jim

Jayman,

I have my profile on, nothing to hide, think if I want someone to take notice of what I write, they should be able to see who I am. Those who hide behind aliases and avatars are often not who they try to make others believe they are.

Off to Pattaya in a few days and will no doubt be sitting drinking with a bunch of millionaires and ex special forces guys who are working as international security consultants. Don't find many factory workers or truck drivers here. Jim

Well all I was trying to say about my TV profile is that is says I live in Banglamung and not Issarn like vpi78 assumes. I know it's hard to believe but there are a ton of security personnel, ex-special forces (from many countries) and such living here. The way I see some of these russians throwing around money and such I wouldn't be surprised if they were millionaires.

Not all of us are cheap old men on a fixed income trying to relive our youth with a young bird.

As for the factory workers and truck drivers.. if they don't make enough money to live outside their countries and retire then you won't find them here. I know of truck drivers that made money in Iraq and are living here. Maybe the "ice road truckers" make enough money to come spend time here without working. Most factory workers prob only get a few weeks off a year and so you won't find them living here unless they are retired and living off of social security up on the farm in Issarn.

Edited by Jayman

Jayman,

Don't forget the currency speculators - oh I forgot the congregate in the remote provinces

See u soon Jim

JBL

Don't forget the currency speculators - oh I forgot the congregate in the remote provinces

See u soon Jim

JBL

Oh yes.. of course the forex traders are here as they can work from Thailand without a work permit and live on a smaller income than they don in their home countries. Thanks for making my point for me..

Jayman,

ROTFL.. living in Issarn and making money on the stock market. get real. No one that lives in Issarn can make money on the stock market. What a joke. Now I see what you mean by entertainment. I'm sure glad your Social Security check is enough to pay for your internet or you'd be bored to death up there.

Actually, I split time between the US and Thailand. Lots of us do that who have managed their money well and avoided the scam artists, "internet financial planners", and other poseurs out to separate others from their money.

Yes, Social Security will be nice when it comes in a few years but I'm not counting on it since Obozo and the Dems will eventually include means testing.

I like Nong Bua Lam PHu and the Loei area and I do have a place up here but don't get to spend as much time here as I would like, too much to do to stray in any one place for too much time. You probably travel frequently as well to avoid the people you scam.

Have you tried comedy Jayman. You are a natural. Truck Drivers in Iraq, yeah there were a few working for Haliburton/KBR at first. The switch was made to locals very quickly. You won't find many Iraqi/Kurdish/Pakistani truck drivers in Isaan.

I worked in Iraq from May 2003 through 2006. Regale me and others with your vast expertise about Iraq. You are just a true Renaissance man .... at least on the web.

Jayman,

Indeed, on the internet there are all sorts of miscreants ... or "financial advisors", "Forex traders", and even Democrats.

I wouldn't put anything in a profile on any site on the internet that has value to such a scammer, especially a birthdate, but then I guess folks can fill it in with an incorrect date.

If I did use Facebook and had included a lot of personal data there it would make me nervous now that the IPO is in process.

Have you tried comedy Jayman. You are a natural. Truck Drivers in Iraq, yeah there were a few working for Haliburton/KBR at first. The switch was made to locals very quickly. You won't find many Iraqi/Kurdish/Pakistani truck drivers in Isaan.

I worked in Iraq from May 2003 through 2006. Regale me and others with your vast expertise about Iraq. You are just a true Renaissance man .... at least on the web.

My family are Iraqi. I am also a US vet. I also live in the same village as an American that works in Iraq as a manager of truckers. As it turns out, I was in AFSOC. I also trade forex (successfully). I'm in my 30's. I don't live out in Issarn. I'm also the IT/tech guy for a local security outfit started by expats that all work or have worked in Iraq. As for what it is you think you know about all things.. I don't give 2 shits. But if you go posting your thoughts as facts and I know otherwise I will certainly be posting to correct you.

Edited by Jayman

Actually, I split time between the US and Thailand. Lots of us do that who have managed their money well and avoided the scam artists, "internet financial planners", and other poseurs out to separate others from their money.

Yes, Social Security will be nice when it comes in a few years but I'm not counting on it since Obozo and the Dems will eventually include means testing.

I like Nong Bua Lam PHu and the Loei area and I do have a place up here but don't get to spend as much time here as I would like, too much to do to stray in any one place for too much time. You probably travel frequently as well to avoid the people you scam.

You sure do make a lot of assumptions about things. I made it clear I don't live in Issarn. Just because I mange funds for a few people certainly doesn't make me an "internet scammer". All the people I manage funds for are very close friends. I would never manage funds for strangers as I would rather spend that time making money for my own friends and family. You can serach high and low through all my posts and you will never once see me soliciting anyone for anything. In fact, this thread was the first I even mentioned I trade forex and now I know better than to ever do that again on TV as there are too many old farts like yourself that have their heads up republicans asses.

My family are Iraqi. I am also a US vet. I also live in the same village as an American that works in Iraq as a manager of truckers. As it turns out, I was in AFSOC. I also trade forex (successfully). I'm in my 30's. I don't live out in Issarn. I'm also the IT/tech guy for a local security outfit started by expats that all work or have worked in Iraq. As for what it is you think you know about all things.. I don't give 2 shits. But if you go posting your thoughts as facts and I know otherwise I will certainly be posting to correct you.

So correct me Jayman. What part of my posts do you think are incorrect, i.e., that the internet is full of poseurs and scam artists, particularly the Forex and currency "traders" or the part about dismissing that you are a "money manager."

I don't live full time in Isaan either but I know the Loei and Nong Bua Lam Phu area fairly well. I haven't met too many Social Security/penshioners eeking out a living there but then again very few wannabe Forex traders also. There was a guy that claimed he made his living playing poker online but he seems to have slinked off to Pattaya.

I worked in Baghdad at Daura, Basrah at the airport, and in Mosul. We used ArmorGroup for security but interfaced often with USAID and other agencies who used Blackwater. I doubt if you are conencted in any way to any of those fellows.