How Many Thais Drive Without Insurance?

Eastender

I didn't realize there was a motoring forum until now!

I know a Thai who occasionally borrows a friends car for quite long distances, and thinks nothing of driving without insurance.

Firstly, am I right in thinking it's the same as elsewhere, the driver needs insurance, not the car.

Secondly, is this the norm, or the exception?

Actually, I thought this too, but I was corrected by my wife. Most insurance policies in thailand follow the car, rather than the person, as is the case in the US.

So if you loan your car to a friend or family member, they have the insurance tied to that vehicle. That being said, if you choose to get just an insurance policy for yourself, or you and your wife, it is slightly cheaper than the "everybody's ok" policy.

Peace

Yeah you'll find out, maybe, in the case of a crash.

If they don't have insurance then they have to pay themselves.

If they can't they go to jail and spend a day for every 200 baht.

Driving in Thailand, especially upcountry is a big risk and gamble.

Always expect the unexpected!

You will find out quick enough after you/he/they/them have an accident. :o

It's easy enough to find out whether a car is insured. By law all cars must display a valid insurance sticker on the windshield, which clearly displays the valid date similar to the vehicle tax sticker, which must also be displayed.

No3 insurance (the minimum) doesn't cost that much and is used as a third party insurance to cover anyone involved in an accident, but not the vehicle itself. Police are frequently looking for invalid and non displayed tax & insurance stickers, particularly in Bangkok at the tollways, and out of town at roadblocks. Motorbikes also have to have the insurance & tax stickers fixed to the bike.