Why Is Thailand So Uptight When It Comes To Tourist Visas?

When I go to Malaysia, they welcome me with open arms and give me 90 days visa.

When I go to Singapore, they are happy to have me there and give me 90 days visa.

When I go to Kambodia, Hong Kong, Japan, Philiphines, Taiwan or other countries nearby, they too give me 90 days visa, pretty much without any hassle!

When I go to Thailand, they give me 30 days, and if i'd ask for more they will give me a big fat no. Only option = jump out and jump back in. But what is the dam_n point?

Most other Asian countries are happy to have tourists staying there for long periods, while spending their money.

Why is Thailand so different? What do they know that their neighbours dont know?

I would love to know if there is any real reason to why Thailand has these strict and uptight visa rules? There must be more to it than just bureaucracy.

And yes, I am upset because I have to go on a visarun tomorrow. coffee1.gif Laos, here I come again.

Edited by ricku

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every country administers its visa waiver program with the goal of reciprocating other countries' terms when possible but the priority is always on limiting the negative effects of easy entry.

Statistics show that Thailand attracts far too many travelers who choose to stay here despite insufficient means. So, even USA and EU tourists only get 30 days on a waiver.

But, it's pretty easy to get a multiple-entry visa from your home country. For a while now it's even been free, and each 60 day entry can be extended for 30 days more.

Plus, of the countries you mentioned, only Malaysia and The Philippines have any provision for retirement visas, so on balance, Thailand seems to rate fairly well.

The op does not say which passport he holds but generally it comes down to reciprocity.

For example,Singapore and Malaysia passport holders can visit the UK or EU countries for periods of 3 or 6 months without a visa, which is why UK ,EU citizens can visit Malaysia and Singapore similarly. Thais cannot visit UK or EU without a visa so I would suggest you pressure your own government to conclude a reciprocity agreement with Thailand if it worries you that much. As a further example S. Koreans get 90 days on arrival in Thailand, no visa, and Thais get 90 on arrival in Korea, again no visa.

Amusingly I note op is doing border run to Laos, again don't know what passport you hold, but for UK and EU passport holders a visa for a 30 day stay is required and you have to pay for it.

• Like 2

Thais, Philippinos, Israelis, Russians all have trouble getting through to Australian authorities because they are perceived as having a greater potential for trying to circumvent immigration laws, than say Poms or Seppos.

Consequently Thai authorities, like many others, enact the little known reciprocal FK-U clause in their immigration policy statement.

Works a treat, but its a pain in the bum.

licklips.gif

Then you DON"T have a visa. What you are geting is a (free) stamp on entry...which is good for 30 days.

A Tourist visa is obtained at a Thai consulate or embessy, and is good for 60 days with a 30 day extension possible. Both of them require a fee...from which Thailand gets some income.

I may not agree with it either....but it's what the Thai government wants to do...and it won't change soon, if at all.

Unless my math is suddenly wrong (60 days plus 30 days) is also 90 days....but the Thai governemnt wants you to pay for it up front.

And the real reason for them being so uptight is because they know about the so-called tourists who are working in Thailand without a work permit and doing visa runs to every nearby Thai consulate for another "tourist" visa.

O.K.. not everyone is doing that, only a small group...but that's just enough farangs to tarnish the reputation of all of us.

So the way they look at it, if those "tourists" are going to scam them anyway, they will at least get some revenue out of everyone.

But no one in the Thai government dares admit that publicaly.

licklips.gif

Oops....the quote didn't take.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thai government nets nothing from illegal workers. Thai business love illegal Khmer and Burmese workers.

Thai government is throughly incapable of coming up with a plan that rids Thailand of illegal Western workers while retaining long-stayers. I don't know why, I have a few.

Many people do come to Thailand and do carry out illegal activities directed here and abroad. Again, the government can't seem to get a handle on it - so it kills visas for everyone.

Many other countries have equally ridiculous requirements for expatriates, longstay and retirees. Philippines comes quickly to mind.

Thailand has zero appeal to the wealthy outside of watersports (yachting, diving [dead activity]). Thailand is decidedly LOW BROW you need only look at the people in the airport to affirm this.

In the end, people should vote with their feet and go to these other places. Thailand is an old story, long finished. Many expats refuse to accept that becasue it affords them women and a reasonably good lifestyle with reasonable access to western food. They choose Thailand over Philippines by and large for the simple reason that Philippines is downright dangerous. Smart guys will start looking at Malaysia, Vietnam and Cambodia.

You are always a visitor here no matter what visa yo are on - don't forget it! Extention of stay.

• Like 1

<p>Did nt they make drastic changes to visas after FREAKS like Mark Carr and Chris Paul Neil were caught in the Kingdom? But lets not kid ourselves here, we all know there are a lot more lurking freaks in LOS. For gud or bad, all sorts arrive to Never Never Land.

Edited by TheKeeNok

I don't understand except for the crass arrogance of those who constantly condemn the visa runners. While many of these guys sit in Pattaya at Dolphin roundabout, contribute nothing save for serving as a collective eyesore. Many other visa runners are involved in all sorts of things that contribute to Thailands financial bottom line. Many people PREFER a life of mobility and freedom. You would think Thailand would embrace it. Some of the cheapest people I have ever me in my life are pensioners married and stuck/staying here in Thailand. Now don't get me wrong, I love cheap charlies - I am just saying...

Being a visa runner makes you no less a human being than some clod that has put 800k into a shonky Thai bank and Thailand has given him permission to stay yet another year. BFD. As we well know that ability to stay is constanly yanked away from good, decent people in places like Samui and Phuket for not coming up with the adequate "compensation".

Thailand's day in the sun is long gone and if Thailand has not realized it, they better. This is not only for expat retirement, but for tourism in general. Western tourism is toast. Thailand will now fill up with Chinese, Russian and E Europeans as well as Arabs and none of this lot has any money. So, to think TAT is targeting the wealthy is simply not borne out by facts.

Thailand can retain a sizeable expat population, but it will need to work at it. It shows a total unwillingness to do so. Now, Westeners are having problems at their home embassies and consulates as well.

Thailand a long time ago made a decision not to educate its populace and become a tourist paradise served by low wage/educated work force. Neo feudalism if you will. It has followed this course for decades while Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore have all progressed nearly to 1st world standard. Tourism is said to be somewhere 6-8% of the formal (!) economy.

For some bizarre reason Thailand only recognizes or is interested in tourism that provides state revenue. If it helps the good folk - it might be good, but it is not important. Its about Hotels, Airports, etc...

Failed US Presidential candidate many years ago Ross Perot once said: We need to make computer chips, not potato chips. This is Thailands thinking. Thailand needs to make both, especially when it is the potato chip crowd that is attracted to Thailand.

To get this back on track - yes, a lot of creepy people come to Thailand to do creepy things that they were most likely doing in their home countries anyway. You can stop this lot from working (through checks) and entering (if proir records) but in the end - if it is available and if the system can be gamed or bought off, it will remain a haven.

The reason no one is going to Malaysia, Singapore, HongKong, Taiwan or even teh Philippines and doing a bunch of drugs is that they will KILL you. For most of these countries any child-crimes problems, well you might wish you were dead. But its just not that - remember the arms dealer that Thailand refused to extradite? So, it is a haven becasue corrupt elements allow it to be really.

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 2

The OP was asking a few weeks ago where he could find a private, secluded beach in Thailand where he could have intimate fun in the sun sex with his girlfriend. Since the fine, upstanding, respectable and legitimate foreign 'residents' of Thailand would not dream of sullying the Thai culture in such a way, we must assume the OP indeed is just a perpetual tourist, albeit one of the lowest order.

I don't understand except for the crass arrogance of those who constantly condemn the visa runners. While many of these guys sit in Pattaya at Dolphin roundabout, contribute nothing save for serving as a collective eyesore. Many other visa runners are involved in all sorts of things that contribute to Thailands financial bottom line. Many people PREFER a life of mobility and freedom. You would think Thailand would embrace it. Some of the cheapest people I have ever me in my life are pensioners married and stuck/staying here in Thailand. Now don't get me wrong, I love cheap charlies - I am just saying...

Being a visa runner makes you no less a human being than some clod that has put 800k into a shonky Thai bank and Thailand has given him permission to stay yet another year. BFD. As we well know that ability to stay is constanly yanked away from good, decent people in places like Samui and Phuket for not coming up with the adequate "compensation".

Thailand's day in the sun is long gone and if Thailand has not realized it, they better. This is not only for expat retirement, but for tourism in general. Western tourism is toast. Thailand will now fill up with Chinese, Russian and E Europeans as well as Arabs and none of this lot has any money. So, to think TAT is targeting the wealthy is simply not borne out by facts.

Thailand can retain a sizeable expat population, but it will need to work at it. It shows a total unwillingness to do so. Now, Westeners are having problems at their home embassies and consulates as well.

Thailand a long time ago made a decision not to educate its populace and become a tourist paradise served by low wage/educated work force. Neo feudalism if you will. It has followed this course for decades while Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore have all progressed nearly to 1st world standard. Tourism is said to be somewhere 6-8% of the formal (!) economy.

For some bizarre reason Thailand only recognizes or is interested in tourism that provides state revenue. If it helps the good folk - it might be good, but it is not important. Its about Hotels, Airports, etc...

Failed US Presidential candidate many years ago Ross Perot once said: We need to make computer chips, not potato chips. This is Thailands thinking. Thailand needs to make both, especially when it is the potato chip crowd that is attracted to Thailand.

To get this back on track - yes, a lot of creepy people come to Thailand to do creepy things that they were most likely doing in their home countries anyway. You can stop this lot from working (through checks) and entering (if proir records) but in the end - if it is available and if the system can be gamed or bought off, it will remain a haven.

The reason no one is going to Malaysia, Singapore, HongKong, Taiwan or even teh Philippines and doing a bunch of drugs is that they will KILL you. For most of these countries any child-crimes problems, well you might wish you were dead. But its just not that - remember the arms dealer that Thailand refused to extradite? So, it is a haven becasue corrupt elements allow it to be really.

gud points, but I don t view Taiwan and HK attracting any sizable retirees.  If anything ppl in HK are wanting to leave.  It s said that it's a gud place to make $$,but not a place to retire.  Taiwan?  SG does not seem to have the "edge" that makes Thailand exciting, at least for some. Da Phils is just scary!  U can get used to it, but I'd have to always belookin over my shoulders if I lived in Manila.  Beside, I don't find DaPhils to be very good value for ur $.  In this regard, Thailand has got to be a pretty gud place to settle down! IMHO'Drugs are very easy tto find in Malaysia. don t be put off by that "DEATH TO DRUG TRAFFICKERS" message stamped on ur customs card! :) Just ask aany Indonesian worker or well connected chinese guy! just sayin...

Edited by TheKeeNok

I cannot believe that virtually any 'Tourist' would find the Thai visa system for them 'uptight'.

My family are tourists as they come here on holiday a few times a year. They simply show up at the airport and are granted 30 days. This is longer than what, I'll guess at about 90% of tourists stay in Thailand for per visit.

Should they ever visit for longer they'll very easily be able to stay here for 180 days! With a double entry tourist visa, two extensions at an immigration office and a border run in between.

What else do tourists want?!? huh.pngblink.png

Edited by hehehoho

Thai government nets nothing from illegal workers.

Incorrect from the get go.

Everything they purchase generates tax revenue.

Point being illegal workers generally don't have very substantial discretionary income. The burden and wear and tear they impose on the resources generally exceed their contribution to the "general good". They do benefit those who hire them illegally, but not many governments around the world like to be seen as catering to illegal workers, given many of them are pretty much 21st century slaves.

I'm in agreement with many here. If you stay more than 30 days, there's good reason to question whether you're actually a tourist. If you are a genuine tourist, there are many ways to easily stay longer. If you're not, they probably want a simple mechanism to send you to your next stop.

Regardless, I'd rather be a European, Aussie, Kiwi or American trying to get into Thailand than a Thai trying to get a visa into any of those areas....

Thai government nets nothing from illegal workers. Thai business love illegal Khmer and Burmese workers.

Amidst his doom and gloom announcements, I take it BB has never heard of the Migrant Labour Scheme for neighbourning countries, where the government has actively encouraged workers from those countries to become legal...

Thais dont want foreigners in their country, they only want your money.

Again, the logic fails me. If they didn't want foreigners they'd stop visa runners and make it hard to get visas, which is hardly the case. Sounds nice on a web-board I guess.

• Like 1

Thailand's visa system has its advantages and disadvantages, but it is true there are a number of countries that encourage tourism that offer instant three month or even six month visa free stays to many nationals.

And there are many, many more that require visas of EVERYONE.

I am talking about countries that are ACTIVELY promoting their tourism business. Thus, I think you are wrong.

You said I was wrong. I was not.

China, India, Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Russia, Brazil, etc. etc. etc.

There are dozens and dozens of countries clamoring for tourist dollars that do not allow visa-free entry (though some give visa on arrival for a fee) like Thailand does.

By world standards, Thailand's visa rules are ridiculously loose. Just about anyone can come and stay forever with ludicrously minimal hassle.

Just look at the flotsam and jetsam from all over the globe inhabiting the likes of Nana and Pattaya.

You can call me "dude" all you want, but that's the way it is.