When Is The Best Time To Convert Multi Non-O To Extension Based On Retirement For Frequent Traveller?

The more I read up about this the more confused I am becoming. I thought we had it all worked out but now I am starting to have doubts.

Under the visa banner on Thaivisa it states the following regarding non-immigrant visas:

“Your best choice is to obtain a multiple entry Non-Immigrant visa which valid for 12 months. With this visa type you will need to exit and enter Thailand at least every 90 days to get a new entry stamp allowing you to stay a further 90 days.

If you utilize your visa the last time just before it expires, you will get an extra 3 months "bonus", so the total validity will be nearly 15 months.”

Our situation: Husband and myself have just been issued non-immigrant O multiple entry visas which expire in January 2013. We will make our first entry into Thailand using those visas on 27 Feb 2012. Ok – so as I understand it, our passports will be stamped with a 90 day stay stamp (not sure of the correct terminology) hence we are allowed to stay until 27 May or thereabouts. Husband is a frequent traveller. He will leave Thailand once a month at least and would be away for about 2 weeks each time. He already has trips booked for 13-20 March and 1-18 April.

I will not travel overseas that often and I am aware of the 90 day reporting requirements for myself.

In light of all of this when is the best time to convert the non-O visas to extension based on retirement? He qualifies for the retirement extension and I will be added as a dependant. I believe one should only apply for the retirement extension during the last 30 days of one’s valid stay. Therefore, should we convert soon - in May 2012 (which is the last 30 days that our collective first 90 day entry stamp is valid for) or can we wait until the last 30 days of his last entry stamp from one of his trips while the non-o visa is still valid? (Which probably means I will be in Thailand illegally if I don’t also exit the country and get a further 30 day stay each time?)

I get the feeling that a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing and am worried that we are going to stuff up the dates. Help --------- pleeeeeeaaaaaaase!

Thanks

+ 5,000 toolbar pleading smileys

You can not extend unless you show 800k in bank account 2 months (if actually over age 50) but it seems you will not be doing that but using dependent status so must wait until husband extends. He can extend during the last 30 days of any 90 day entry but if he travels frequently he may wish to wait until the end of this current one year visa and you having the same one year visa can just exit every 90 days on a border crossing and extend after he gets his extension. Most people find a single entry visa the best choice for retirement as it provides the 90 days needed if using bank deposit and the non immigrant visa entry at less cost than the multi entry. But for those with frequent travel the choice you made fits well. But having a dependent foreign wife (most do not) makes the difference; so you will have to decide what is best for you.

"I will not travel overseas that often and I am aware of the 90 day reporting requirements for myself."

Just to be clear: if you are using the multi-entry visa you cannot make a 90 day report, you must leave the country at least every 90 days.

When on the annual extension then you make the 90 reports to your local immigration office and do not have to leave the country (but get a re-entry permit if you do!).

"I will not travel overseas that often and I am aware of the 90 day reporting requirements for myself."

For those with multiple entry visas, there is no 90 day reporting requirement.

The reqiorement is to leave the country at least every 90 days.

Once you have a yearly extension, then there is a 90 day reporting requirement.

All rightie then - seems like frequent shopping trips to Singapore or Hong Kong is on the cards during the first 12 months of our stay in Thailand. Will check what international flights operate out of Chiang Mai.

So, when the multiple non im o visa is activated when we arrive at end of Feb does that mean I have to have a trip planned before end of May, and must the return date be before the 90 days are up (ie. before 27 May).

Thanks also for clarifying the 90 day reporting requirement. Guess it will all become more clear once we are there and in the thick of things.

There is no activation of a visa - it is valid from date of issue. When you arrive you obtain a 90 day permitted to stay stamp. You either leave before that date or obtain extension of stay (if qualified). You will not qualify until your husband decides to extend for retirement. You do not have to go out to another city unless you wish to do so - a day trip to Burma or Laos and return getting a new 90 day stay is possible. You do not need proof of travel and you can leave and return at any time - each new entry prior to expiration date of visa will get a new 90 day permitted to stay stamp from date of entry.

licklips.gif Hopefully, I can make this clearer.

With a multi-entry non O visa which is good for a year from issue you do not need to report every 90 days,

When you use that visa to convert to an extension of stay based on retirement the day that extension is approved you start 90 day reporting...and your first reporting date is usually 90 days from the date of that approval. You will have a card stapled into your passport with a reporting date on it at that time. You then keep to that reporting schedule.

Now for your husband, because he travels often it might be an advantage for him to wait until the last posssible entry on his multi-entry visa...because as long as his multi-entry visa is valid he will get another 90 day entry stamped in his passport every time he re-enters Thailand,

For you, however, this might be a problem....because your extension will be based upon him also getting a retirement extension...you are "piggy-backing" on his extension.

This can be done for both of you on the same day at your local immigration if you both have the correct paperwork ready.

However, until he gets his extension, you will have to do "border runs" every 90 days...so you can exit Thailand, getting stamped out of the country...and then re-entering to get another 90 day permission to stay stamp in your passport,

Now let me explain what a "border run" is. What you can do is go to the nearest border, exit Thailand, then immeadiately turn around and re-enter Thailand. There's no need to stay in that neighboring country overnight unless you want to.

Here in Bangkok, for example, there are services that do daily "border runs" to the Cambodian border just for that purpose.

From Bangkok it is about a 12 hour day trip by (usually) a 16 passenger air-conditioned minivan. The one I used was 2900 baht all inclusive...Cambodian entry visa included in the package also. They left Bangkok early in the morning...made two stops for toliet breaks amd/or food breaks in both directions...and gave you a little over an hour at the border to get your exit stamp from Thailand....crossing over a little bridge into Cambodia....then turning around and coming back into Thailand for another 90 day stamp in your passport. The border run service took care of everything except the physical crossing into Cambodia and back into Thailand.

I don't know where you'll be living in Tailand, but most places where there are enough foriegners living have some service like that available to whatever the nearest border is.

So you don't HAVE to go to Singapore every 3 months...but of course you can if you want to.

licklips.gif

"Now let me explain what a "border run" is. What you can do is go to the nearest border, exit Thailand, then immeadiately turn around and re-enter Thailand"

You sort of skipped an important detail. You have to enter and exit the other country, getting the appropriate stamps.

Laos, Burma and Cambodia will all require you to have a visa to enter. You can get them at the border, but there is a cost.

Thank you - a lot clearer. Suppose I should go back to Australia in May to clear the mail as I have a flexible return ticket with Thai Airways. Subsequent trips will try to go to KL direct from ChiangMai. No visa issues in Malaysia for commonwealth citizens I understand. Seems less complicated than the the actual organised 'bus border runs' (for now).

Yes you can go to Australia no problem just do it before the 90 days are up. Be sure to enter the visa number on your arrival card and check the stamp that you are on your non-o and not a 30 day visa exempt, This does happen at airport immigration as well as land border crossings.

Re. organised bus runs:

Just in case anybody is put off by the thought of sitting in a cramped 16-seater minivan for 12 hours, it should be pointed out that some services run a coach and others 9-seater minivans, which are a lot more comfortable. Also, the time it takes to reach Aranyaprathet (on the Cambodian border) from Bangkok is roughly 3-4 hours and the same on the return trip, depending on the time of day. Driving there in a car is another option of course.

Edited by inthepink