New Italian Restaurant Fills A Niche For Real Home-Made Food.

Oneman

New Italian restaurant -- tastes like grandma used to make.

Does Chiang Mai really need yet another Italian restaurant?

I would have replied to that question, "...[yawn]...".

But that was before I ate at Colosseo yesterday evening.

Colosseo fills an empty niche in the restaurant "scene" here, a niche that I didn't realize was empty until I tasted their food.

That niche is home-made, Italian, food.

Real home-made, not just a phrase in an advertisement.

This is the kind of food that grandma used to make for everyday eating.

What you get is simple food, from fresh ingredients.

What you *don't* get is food piled up in layers with a thin slice of something on a thick bed of strangely-colored something else.

Or food pressed into a round mold that comes out looking like a colored hockey puck.

No spikes of vegetable sticks sticking out at odd angles.

And no swirls of tasteless sauces swirled around to make small portions appear bigger on the pate

None of that artsy, fusion, nouvelle cuisine nonsense.

At Closseo you get food on a plate -- that's all.

I arrived early and was the first customer of the evening.

So the chef came over to my table to chat.

He proudly explained how he prepares each meal to order.

I started with prawns Marie Rose -- shrimp cocktail.

Grandma never made that for us, but, still, it was a very nice beginning to the meal.

The most generous shrimp cocktail I've ever seen -- a dozen good sized, shrimp.

Frozen?  

Yes.

The sauce?

Mayonnaise and ketchup -- remember, this is not exotic.

Then ravioli with spinach and ricotta filling in sage butter sauce.

It took a long time to arrive.

The chef was in the kitchen mixing up one serving of the filling and then making ravioli for just my  serving.

Freshly made?

Yes.

I've had better-tasting sage butter ravioli than this.

But that was at pretentious restaurant in San Francisco, and those flavors were so intense that you couldn't eat it everyday.

This ravioli you could eat every day.

Next, I should have ordered a "secundi" of eggplant parmigiana.

But I wanted to sample the Boulagnaise, so I ordered a second pasta.

The chef mentioned that he makes the fettucinni using the same pasta dough as the ravioli.

(But he doesn't make all the pastas, just a few, simple ones.)

It was a huge plate of pasta, more than I could finish.

The sauce was certainly home-made.

And I didn't have to endure the restaurant show of a waitress coming over with a lump of parmesan cheese and a grater.

None of that silliness.

Of course you will have parmesan on top, and it's already there when your plate arrives at the table, exactly the way grandma would have done it.

I was too full for any dessert, but to take home for my lunch today, I ordered pasta i fagioli soup with beans and bacon.

The chef told me the beans are already cooked, but the soup he makes from scratch when it is ordered.

I had smelled the aroma of bacon.

In every dish, the flavors were simple.

Nothing complicated, nothing exotic.

That is the niche that Colosseo fills: really home-made.

This is the kind of Italian food I could enjoy eating every day.

Colosseo is a tiny place, just one shop house.

Clean and neat, bright and cheerful.

But no air-conditioning.

I wonder what it will be like in the hot and smoky season here.

Probably exactly like every other open-air restaurant.

It is well-hidden behind Nimmanhaemin Road.

In a very small soi, on another road with a name that nobody can pronounce.

So, unless you've been there before it's impossible to find.

Besides that, it's only been open a few weeks, so nobody knows where it is yet.

Even I will have a problem to find again.

Here's the address:

17/4 Soi 7, Sirimangkalajan Road

That road (with the un-prouncable name) is parallel to Nimmanhaemin Road.

If you know the "Mac Zone" store, it is on Sirimangkalajan Road.

On the corner of Siriman-whatever and Soi 7 is a fancy car wash shop, "Car Bella".

Soi 7 is also the "back entrance" to Gad Suan Kaeo shopping center and the Lotus Bang Suan Kaeo hotel.

I don't know anything about hours open or days closed.

No web site that I know of.

Edited by Oneman

been twice,first i went food okay,garlic bread like card board,but thought i would give it another try,and took wife with me this time,as she likes italian food,but afraid wont be going agian,we both did not enjoy are meals,pity really owner is a pleasent guy,and place clean and pleasent enough.

Colosseo in located on the soi which brings to Central KaoSanKeo from the back

i have been there and was really impressed, for chiangmai this is the best place for nonexpensive italian food in a non pretentious place

try the spaghetti vongole, or the spaghetti seafood, the best in town for sure

pizza is quite small , same as other places..

ceasar salad is really good.. not the typical sauce that you would expect, but a very good variation of it

excellent place!

The OP wrote:

"I've had better-tasting sage butter ravioli than this.

But that was at pretentious restaurant in San Francisco, and those flavors were so intense that you couldn't eat it everyday.

This ravioli you could eat every day."

Since I don't want to eat this everyday, I'd love to know where I can get some Italian food with "intense" flavor. That sounds much, much better.

This place is located at the back entrance/exit road that leads to Kad Suan Kaew. You can take a short cut to it by entering the soi at Huay Kaew Residence apartments of Huay Kaew road before the Shell, if you take a car, there is a passing fee, no fee for bikes.

Been meaning to try it, how's the prices there? Everytime i pass by i see someone with a laptop, maybe they have free wifi too.

Edited by KRS1

This place is located at the back entrance/exit road that leads to Kad Suan Kaew. You can take a short cut to it by entering the soi at Huay Kaew Residence apartments of Huay Kaew road before the Shell, if you take a car, there is a passing fee, no fee for bikes.

Been meaning to try it, how's the prices there? Everytime i pass by i see someone with a laptop, maybe they have free wifi too.

the prices are normal.. i think there also is a 180B lunch menu, pizza (orpasta) + salad

Then ravioli with spinach and ricotta filling in sage butter sauce.

It took a long time to arrive.

The chef was in the kitchen mixing up one serving of the filling and then making ravioli for just my serving.

Freshly made?

Yes.

ohmy.pngshock1.gif

The kitchen has really much time to lose...

the prices are normal.. i think there also is a 180B lunch menu, pizza (orpasta) + salad

Im not sure what normal is, can you elaborate please? Some places i know are 55 baht for lasagne and others are 120 baht. If its good though i dont mind prices as long as it isnt over the top.

I tried Colosseo. The description as home-style Italian is fairly accurate. However the food was mediocre and the prices not very good. For example, my seafood ravioli was 280B. The general price level is not much different than Lapin or La Fourchette and yet the food in these two restaurants is in quite a different class. Chez Marco is another with better food at similar prices. For home-style Italian, the food at Noi's is better and the prices are half the prices here. I don't like to criticise new restaurants, but unfortunately Colosseo is not nearly good enough to be charging these prices.

I tried Colosseo. The description as home-style Italian is fairly accurate. However the food was mediocre and the prices not very good. For example, my seafood ravioli was 280B. The general price level is not much different than Lapin or La Fourchette and yet the food in these two restaurants is in quite a different class. Chez Marco is another with better food at similar prices. For home-style Italian, the food at Noi's is better and the prices are half the prices here. I don't like to criticise new restaurants, but unfortunately Colosseo is not nearly good enough to be charging these prices.

Thanks, Neirob. That's a most useful response. I was trying to figure out what the OP meant by homestyle. Noi's is the perfect example of what I would call "homestyle" in CM. "M Cuisine" in Prasertland is another. If Colosseo is charging double what M and Noi charge, then I would expect great food with excellent service.

I think the OP could have ended that long review with his second sentence:

"Does Chiang Mai really need yet another Italian restaurant?"

• May I suggest another restaurant, that I believe has not been mentioned on here, though I may be wrong - Susie Cucina, on Rachadamneon Rd, (Sunday walking street), Had lunch there with wife and daughter yesterday. Ceasar Salad, Tuna Salad and Aspargus as the 3 starters, followed by Confit of Duck leg and mash, Spaghetthi with scallops and mussels, plus a Pizza Romana. This was followed by a Tira misu and Choc fondant and ice cream. Without drinks it came to a total of 1800 th with a bottle of the house red, and a bottle of water the total bill was 2700 thb.
  • All enjoyed the food, the Pizza had a very thin base, which I had, and the toppings were very tasty. The tomato base I felt was superior to Mama Mia (on MeaJo rd), in that there was a little more substance/taste to it. The wine at just under 1000 bht a bottle was very decent to say the least.One thing I have noted about the Mama Mia reviews is that no one has mentioned the cost of drinks there, 80 bht for a large bottle of Ashai, (and 95 for a large bottle of Hienekin I believe), possibly the cheapest in any restaurant in CM
  • I'm sure quite a few people would enjoy the quality of the food there at Susie Cucina, I would look on it as similar to Chez Marco.
  • I have no business interest in any of the above mentioned restaurants.

Edited by mickmac

• May I suggest another restaurant, that I believe has not been mentioned on here, though I may be wrong - Susie Cucina, on Rachadamneon Rd, (Sunday walking street), Had lunch there with wife and daughter yesterday. Ceasar Salad, Tuna Salad and Aspargus as the 3 starters, followed by Confit of Duck leg and mash, Spaghetthi with scallops and mussels, plus a Pizza Romana. This was followed by a Tira misu and Choc fondant and ice cream. Without drinks it came to a total of 1800 th with a bottle of the house red, and a bottle of water the total bill was 2700 thb.
  • All enjoyed the food, the Pizza had a very thin base, which I had, and the toppings were very tasty. The tomato base I felt was superior to Mama Mia (on MeaJo rd), in that there was a little more substance/taste to it. The wine at just under 1000 bht a bottle was very decent to say the least.One thing I have noted about the Mama Mia reviews is that no one has mentioned the cost of drinks there, 80 bht for a large bottle of Ashai, (and 95 for a large bottle of Hienekin I believe), possibly the cheapest in any restaurant in CM
  • I'm sure quite a few people would enjoy the quality of the food there at Susie Cucina, I would look on it as similar to Chez Marco.

That works out to 600 baht per person for food. Yes, that's comparable to Chex Marco. i thought that this thread was about "homestyle" food. At M Cuisine or Noi's you can easily feed four very hungry people for a total of 600 baht and have enough left over for a generous tip.

That works out to 600 baht per person for food. Yes, that's comparable to Chex Marco. i thought that this thread was about "homestyle" food. At M Cuisine or Noi's you can easily feed four very hungry people for a total of 600 baht and have enough left over for a generous tip.

My apologies El Jefe, never had an Italian Grandmother to cook for me nor eat in any Italian households, so have nothing to gauge it by. Would you consider Boar stew and Pasta as "homestyle" which is also on their menu, or does "homestyle" just mean "cheap and cheerful"?

My apologies El Jefe, never had an Italian Grandmother to cook for me nor eat in any Italian households, so have nothing to gauge it by. Would you consider Boar stew and Pasta as "homestyle" which is also on their menu, or does "homestyle" just mean "cheap and cheerful"?

Actually, I need to apologize to you, Mickmac.

The OP started this by talking about a restaurant with homestyle food. His description is what I might consider homestyle, but even he described it as good, not great. My description would be simple cooking with few ingredients, something that grandma would cook if she went to the market that morning and bought what was available. It would have bold tastes (lots of garlic or chilis maybe) but wouldn't be as complicated as something you might get at Chez Marco. Usually that would mean inexpensive too.

I might have been the first one to take this thread off on a tangent when the OP said something did not have an "intense" taste. And I then asked where I could find something that did have intense taste. You were actually helping to answer my question. My only excuse is that this thread dragged on for so long I forgot what I asked.

So, I'm offering my sincerest apologies. And my thanks. I'll have to try Susie Cucina, even it it's not homestyle.