Thai Airways Dropping The Nonstop Flight To/From Los Angeles

Sam Drucker

I am scheduled for this flight on 31 May (BKK/LAX), I wonder when TG is going to bother to inform me of the change so I can change my onward reservations mad.gif

Their online booking check won't recognize my confirmed reservation number and "CheckmyTrip.com" just spins and spins........

Hm. I have taken the non-stop flight many times and always had to stop over in LAX because it arrived too late for onward flights. With the new schedule, arriving at 11am, I would not have this problem and actually save a lot of money, as I don't need to pay for the hotel near LAX airport and waste all the time.

By the way, to check your flight, you can always call 02-356-1111 if their website doesn't work to your satisfaction.

That said, I agree that they should have informed you.

True arriving early is a benefit if you are terminating on the West coast but if going to the East cost you will be arriving there after 11 PM. Since someone has to pick me up at the airport I still have to stay overnight in LA anyway to depart at 06:00 to arrive at 4 PM. Coupled with the fact that when returning to Thailand you will never arrive in LAX in time to make the 1 PM departure, from the East coast, you will now incur two hotels during the trip (3 if you stay the night before in BKK)

This now puts TG in line with all the other US carriers that insist on trying for the business crowd with their god awful early morning BKK departures

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm. I have taken the non-stop flight many times and always had to stop over in LAX because it arrived too late for onward flights. With the new schedule, arriving at 11am, I would not have this problem and actually save a lot of money, as I don't need to pay for the hotel near LAX airport and waste all the time.

By the way, to check your flight, you can always call 02-356-1111 if their website doesn't work to your satisfaction.

True arriving early is a benefit if you are terminating on the West coast but if going to the East cost you will be arriving there after 11 PM. Since someone has to pick me up at the airport I still have to stay overnight in LA anyway to depart at 06:00 to arrive at 4 PM. Coupled with the fact that when returning to Thailand you will never arrive in LAX in time to make the 1 PM departure, from the East coast, you will now incur two hotels during the trip (3 if you stay the night before in BKK)

This now puts TG in line with all the other US carriers that insist on trying for the business crowd with their god awful early morning BKK departures

I think they are targeting the travellers going to the West rather than the East, because there are simply more Asians going to the West. I agree that the morning departures are not nice, I much prefer to fly to Europe with departures around midnight.

Funny thing that, now that you mention it. TG has only one flight to the Americas, while they operate to many destinations in Europe. CI on the other hand, operates to many destinations in North America but have only one (?) flight to Europe (Amsterdam, if I'm not mistaken). OK, Taiwan is a bit closer to the US but still, I wonder why this is.

...This now puts TG in line with all the other US carriers that insist on trying for the business crowd with their god awful early morning BKK departures

Many of the Asian carriers have flights leaving LAX and SFO between Midnight and 2 a.m., getting you to BKK, after making the connection, by late morning. On the return you leave BKK in the late afternoon or early evening and arrive back in LAX or SFO in the early evening. Makes for much better use of one's time, IMHO.

I am scheduled for this flight on 31 May (BKK/LAX), I wonder when TG is going to bother to inform me of the change so I can change my onward reservations mad.gif

Their online booking check won't recognize my confirmed reservation number and "CheckmyTrip.com" just spins and spins........

I've used the TG nonstop to LAX for onward flights to east coast USA several times. In my case, I took redeyes on UA to Chicago and had plenty of time to connect. As I recall, UA actually have two redeye flights to ORD, so it's easy to get a seat.

Getting back to LAX from the east cost to LAX in time for a 1PM flight will be impossible. This will certainly cause me to use a carrier other than Thai now for trips to east coast USA, as I really don't want to do a night at LAX just to make the TG connection.

Getting back to LAX from the east cost to LAX in time for a 1PM flight will be impossible. This will certainly cause me to use a carrier other than Thai now for trips to east coast USA, as I really don't want to do a night at LAX just to make the TG connection.

Check to see if SG still has Singapore-Newark non-stop.

I've flown this flight a couple of times from LAX to BKK, and once from BKK to LAX. Sitting for 16 + hours on a jet is a bit tiresome, lots of time to sleep if in business class, otherwise hope there are a lot of new movies to watch.

The biggest problem with this flight is LAX, a third-world airport in a first-world country - One of the world's worst airports. No place to sit, no place to eat, no place to shop except for the tired little duty-free shops with nothing interesting, huge security lines, then people sitting all over the floor in the boarding gate areas.

Last time I went to the British Columbia, I went BKK - Narita - San Francisco - Victoria on United Airlines.

San Francisco airport is now a much better gateway to the USA, with lots of connecting flights from Asia.

I recommend it.

Still trying to find a flight Bkk-Lax r/t for July. I was on expedia and they have now updated their results with the 1 stop Thai flight via Seoul. The price? $2300...for economy crazy.gif

EVA currently shows R/T BKK-LAX for July at about $1900 for Elite (Premium Econ. seating). I'll be going back to using EVA since Thai is dropping the Non-stop (and more importantly, the Prem. Economy) flight.

• 2 weeks later...