National Service For Thai's

STEALTH K3

Hi, yes it still exists. A Thai male must reach his 21st birthday and then in April he goes to a station where he picks a bit of paper out of a bowl. I forget which way round it is but the papers are black and red. One says you go.... the other not go. Two years service is the norm. There are ways to avoid National Service - bribery!

Seonai

Does this still exist and at what age are they called up, for how long and is it appliciable for eveyone.

I believe it is known as conscription and applies to all Thai males of twenty years of age. I think they are obliged to serve two years but if they are still studying their service will be deferred until the end of their studies.

I seem to recall something a while back in the press about katoeys etc being exempted but that was being reviewed.

As far as I know, 'conscription' is still current armed forces' policy.

Hi, yes it still exists. A Thai male must reach his 21st birthday and then in April he goes to a station where he picks a bit of paper out of a bowl. I forget which way round it is but the papers are black and red. One says you go.... the other not go. Two years service is the norm. There are ways to avoid National Service - bribery!

Seonai

That system rings a bell and I vaguely recall it being likened to the lottery.

Bribery Seonai? Surely not... :o

I thought I read last year that it was being phased out for a volunteer army and conscription was used only when they fell short on the numbers. But perhaps that was just someone's idea and it was never implemented.

Noel..... you cheeky person!!!!!!

SBK - well we have a huge ceremony on the island every April, crying from mothers, fashion shows etc. Then that's it, the boys are off !!! And a friend just told me her Thai husband is up for it next April. I suppose with all the 'strife' here right now they won't want to cut back on numbers!

I thought I read last year that it was being phased out for a volunteer army and conscription was used only when they fell short on the numbers. But perhaps that was just someone's idea and it was never implemented.

If you live in an area that meets the requirement without draft you luck out and avoid service. But there just are not enough to make it a volunteer army.

I think red means 2 years away from home, black means all-night party and perhaps แก้บน

A more common option to avoid this service, as I did, was to have 3 years of "ร.ด." (Ror Dor) training once a week (half day) in high school. Girls love this because they can go out to malls. At the end of the 3rd year, everyone must complete a dreadful training at "Kao Chon Gai" in Kanchanaburi (which IMO was not as bad as as the scary stories told before we went). This is optional, and many katoeys and rich kids opt not to do it since this can be bribed quite easily. Thailand is not going to be short of soldiers in a foreseeable future.