They Ate The Cat!

yougivemebaby

Well my TGF's brother lives about 50km NE of Ubon R and having been there can confirm it is a typical Isaan area. Anything that can be considered protein is fair game. There is still a lot of chicken, fish and pork eaten, but this may be supplemented with anything from rice beetles to tortises. The thing to remember is that this is a very poor area and historically not much money was available, and if the rice failed then things became desperate, hence the need to be very flexible in what goes into the pot. Last time I was up at her village up near Yasothon last month, I was eating fried crickets, a nice nutty taste, but the legs get stuck in your teeth, and no I am not joking.

The village will have a market or be near a bigger town that does have a market. A bit of an experience in itself going to the market, especially if you have never been to a wet market in Asia before. But you can buy fresh food there and if you want get some nice chicken grilled over a charcoal fire, guaranteed there will be someone selling that somewhere near the market.

If she is now delaying you going to the village the reason may be she is not quite ready to introduce you to the family, or worried about the culture shock to you. I had known the GF for nearly 2 years before venturing to the village, is a big step for them to make so take it slowly. Nothing worse for a Thai than loss of face, take a Falang BF to village and then later get the flick would be big loss of face. Even now before going to the village the GF has to check that she has all her jewellery on and that it is not less than last time as this will be noticed and commented on by the village locals.

Look at life as a book to be filled with different experiences. Going to Isaan is definetly going to fill a few pages. Isaan is not as bad as China though, in China you go to supermarket for fresh chicken and it is still clucking, which one you want?

Cheers

my wife still retains a lot of the country village girl influence even now that she has become big time booshwah in our 12000 population market town...she holds out a handful of fried grubs and sez: 'have some...'

tutsi, who now is the local falang boulevardier after 10 years residence, pops a few of the grubs and sez: 'sublime, my darling...'...and with a tip of the top hat and a twirl of the walking stick and a sashay on down the road...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 1 month later...

I'm new here, so go easy.

This whole thread is a pisstake isn't it.

Please tell me it is.

Surely it has to be.

I mean I have a girlfriend from Isaan now, should I be worried, if I get her back to Oz, or more so should Mr. Whiskers!

I'm reading what you wrote about cat, gone for 50 baht, and I'm thinking no, surely not.

Did your neighbours really eat the cat?

I have plans to visit Ubon with her, and I'm wondering if I have been leading a sheltered life.

I don't understand what people are going on about, what's the big deal?

The main problem is they don't have much meat on 'em and it's as stringy as an old chook.

But the chances of getting a disease are far below say pork.

The whole idea of "pets" is IMO fubar, most of the world is just a couple bad crops away from starvation. Would actually be most productive to allow cannibalism. But I guess that's going too far. . .