If I Buy A New Modem/Router, How Straightforward Will Setup Be?

MaiDong

I've tried again and again to connect certain laptops and mobile devices to my home network and I'm just about at my whits end!

I changed from the slow True-provided modem to my own older setup a few years back, although it increased speeds and reliability, it's left me without support from True when it comes to network problems and I really don't know what I'm doing, at all.

For example; in my office I use a desktop PC, a netbook & now my new Samsung Note; the PC is connected to my router by cable, the netbook is on wifi but the Note is unable to connect to my wifi.

Is it possible that my modem/router setup is just too dated for my Note?

I've always been worried about changing modem/router in fear of not being able to set it up and get all my devices networking smoothly, so how easy is it?

If I went to the IT mall and bought a modem/router would I be able to come home, plug it in(wired correctly, hopefully) and off I go? Or will I have headaches?

Thanks for your patience :(

MD

I bet your modem router is fine - most are the same in the end - it is a standard of comunication that is followed in each mode. You may have modes crossed up causing problems. Put the type model of your modem up here and someone that uses the same model can maybe send you a set up list. LAN via cable is almost plug and play wireless can have issues but the model of the equipment is almost never the problem.

I bet your modem router is fine - most are the same in the end - it is a standard of comunication that is followed in each mode. You may have modes crossed up causing problems. Put the type model of your modem up here and someone that uses the same model can maybe send you a set up list. LAN via cable is almost plug and play wireless can have issues but the model of the equipment is almost never the problem.

I'll put the details up in a minute, I just want to say that I want to try calling true to get my password reset, I'm 100% sure what the password is but I thought that might help, but as I was in my modem settings I saw a 'change password' link, I clicked through and it was asking for my old password, and my desired new one, I have tried entering my old password but it doesn't seem to be working, that's the problem though, True will only reset your password, they won't tell you the old one, so how do I get around entering the old pw?? it's all looking a bit silly to me :(

Modem is a THOMSON ST536, router is an SMC BARRICADE SMCWBR14-G2

Don't get the password for the internet service and the security password (WEP/WPA, etc.) for the router confused.

If your Note can not connect to the Wi-Fi because of the password, True will not be able to help you.

So it's a security password I need to change myself? Is this image showing where I should change it?...

post-78826-0-35248700-1328005070_thumb.j

Don't get the password for the internet service and the security password (WEP/WPA, etc.) for the router confused.

If your Note can not connect to the Wi-Fi because of the password, True will not be able to help you.

So it's a security password I need to change myself? Is this image showing where I should change it?...

post-78826-0-35248700-1328005070_thumb.j

No. I'm not familiar with the Thomson products, but I would guess that's the password to get into the admin settings (yes, I know, another password!). Either way, you don't need to be fiddling with the Thomson at all. As you wrote, it is your modem - any connections to the Wi-Fi would be made through your Router.

I've checked for drivers/updates/firmware on the SMC website, only came up with 3 firmware results, a data sheet & 7 manuals, no drivers, what should I do?

Why are your checking for this stuff?

Let's go back to the start. You say your Note "is unable to connect to" your Wi-Fi; at what stage is it failing, and what does the dialogue box say alerting you to this?

I would not be downloading and installing a load of stuff. You need to list

a. type of internet service

b. type of modem

c. router and or switchs if it is not an all in one type modem

d. number and types of PC's to connect and which is wireless desired or wired and the operating system but I would assume it is windows.

I've checked for drivers/updates/firmware on the SMC website, only came up with 3 firmware results, a data sheet & 7 manuals, no drivers, what should I do?

Why are your checking for this stuff?

Let's go back to the start. You say your Note "is unable to connect to" your Wi-Fi; at what stage is it failing, and what does the dialogue box say alerting you to this?

The Note is failing to connect when I select my SMC router from the available WiFi networks and am asked for a password

The Note is failing to connect when I select my SMC router from the available WiFi networks and am asked for a password

OK, good. The password it is after is your security password. This will either be WEP, WPA, or WPA2 (your laptop should tell you which it is), and will be something you or whoever helped set up your Wi-Fi originally entered.

It should be noted - although you may know this already - that the BARRICADE SMCWBR14-G2 is a 'Wireless Broadband Router'; meaning it is also a modem and can be configured to connect directly to True, thus removing the need to have the Thomson in there at all. Not that doing this will help your current situation.

Edited by jamesbrock

OK, good. The password it is after is your security password. This will either be WEP, WPA, or WPA2 (your laptop should tell you which it is), and will be something you or whoever helped set up your Wi-Fi originally entered.

Any of these? huh.png

post-78826-0-19070800-1328008114_thumb.j

post-78826-0-00978600-1328008120_thumb.j

post-78826-0-10821600-1328008134_thumb.j

It should be noted - although you may know this already - that the BARRICADE SMCWBR14-G2 is a 'Wireless Broadband Router'; meaning it is also a modem and can be configured to connect directly to True, thus removing the need to have the Thomson in there at all. Not that doing this will help your current situation.

That is a bloody good point! See how clueless I am!?

So I'll need to get round the back and unplug the Thomson, thinking about it though, I think I might have originally set this lot up and there was a reason for using both the SMC & Thomson together...

That is a bloody good point! See how clueless I am!?

So I'll need to get round the back and unplug the Thomson, thinking about it though, I think I might have originally set this lot up and there was a reason for using both the SMC & Thomson together...

Yes, best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Any of these? huh.png

post-78826-0-19070800-1328008114_thumb.j

post-78826-0-00978600-1328008120_thumb.j

post-78826-0-10821600-1328008134_thumb.j

No. Again, you don't need to be fiddling with the Thomson at all. Any connections to the Wi-Fi would be made through the Barricade.

I know that already, I was just pointing out the numbers that I've rubbed out to see if they might be what I'm looking for

No problems.

The default IP address for the Barricade is http://192.168.2.1/ - type this into your browser to get into its management interface. The default password is 'smcadmin' (all lowercase). This might bring you to the Setup Wizard - just click 'Home' at the top right of this screen.

From the Home screen, navigate to Security > Wireless - you will see there what type of security you have (WEP, WPA, or WPA2) in the Allowed Client Type drop down box. Hopefully, seeing this screen will jog your memory for the passphrase you used. If not, you could try to turn off the wireless security by selecting 'No WQEP, No WPA/WPA2' from the Allowed Client Type drop down box - this might not let you do it without the existing password, but it's worth a try.

If all else fails, you will need to reset the router to its factory settings. Do this by pressing the Reset button on the bottom panel, and holding it down for at least six seconds. Considering you're just using it as a Wireless Router, the reconfiguration would be as simple as turning back on the wireless security and setting up a new passphrase.

Gotta go out. Sorry if this was a bit hastily written, but I'm just going through the user manual for this device for the first time myself! Good luck!

Edited by jamesbrock

No problems.

The default IP address for the Barricade is http://192.168.2.1/ - type this into your browser to get into its management interface. The default password is 'smcadmin' (all lowercase). This might bring you to the Setup Wizard - just click 'Home' at the top right of this screen.

From the Home screen, navigate to Security > Wireless - you will see there what type of security you have (WEP, WPA, or WPA2) in the Allowed Client Type drop down box. Hopefully, seeing this screen will jog your memory for the passphrase you used. If not, you could try to turn off the wireless security by selecting 'No WQEP, No WPA/WPA2' from the Allowed Client Type drop down box - this might not let you do it without the existing password, but it's worth a try.

If all else fails, you will need to reset the router to its factory settings. Do this by pressing the Reset button on the bottom panel, and holding it down for at least six seconds. Considering you're just using it as a Wireless Router, the reconfiguration would be as simple as turning back on the wireless security and setting up a new passphrase.

Gotta go out. Sorry if this was a bit hastily written, but I'm just going through the user manual for this device for the first time myself! Good luck!

Unfortunately this http://192.168.2.1/ doesn't work, I get the 'Problem loading page' message :(

Hmmm... That's right - your PC isn't connected to the Wi-Fi. Dolt!

Unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the Thomson and plug it into the back of the Barricade; then try connecting to it with the above IP address. (This won't affect any of the settings the Thomson, but you will be without Internet while ever it's unplugged.)

Just a short note: if it is a 'Wireless Broadband *Router*' then it is a *Router* and not a *Modem*.

It says 'Broadband' because it knows how to do PPPoe and similiar 'broadband' protocols that are needed on top of an ADSL modem.

To find the IP of your router, follow one of the zillion tutorials on the internet: http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+find+my+router+ip

However, your setup might be problematic because the SpeedTouch is not only a modem but a router as well. From your screenshots I can tell that it is still in router mode - as opposed to 'bridge' mode where it only works as a modem and the router part is disabled.

If your SMC is in router mode as well (as opposed to 'Access Point' mode where it only acts as a wireless hot spot) you have two routers in a cascaded setup. This is not a good thing.

You will have to dedicate some time on your end if you want your problem sorted out guided by the forum only.

welo

I'm absolutely rushed off my feet with business so I've got to leave this for a while, thanks for the suggestion, I'll get back here with results just as soon as I find the time smile.png

No problems at all.

Just a short note: if it is a 'Wireless Broadband *Router*' then it is a *Router* and not a *Modem*.

Wrong. Having the word 'router' in the name of the device does in no way preclude it from also acting as a modem.

It says 'Broadband' because it knows how to do PPPoe and similiar 'broadband' protocols that are needed on top of an ADSL modem.

It says 'router because the word 'router' is a generic term used for either a combination modem/router or a pure router (whether it be wired or wireless).

For example, if you were go to Netgear's Wireless Internet Router page, or Billion's Wilreless ADSL2+ Router Series page, you will see that both companies use the word 'router' in reference to both routers and modem/routers.