Non-Immigrant O Visa?

I'm currently staying in Thailand on a single entry 60 day Tourist Visa which I extended for 30 days yesterday. I wish to stay in Thailand long-term but don't want to stay on tourist visa's. I have recently married my wife (legally, going to the embassy etc.). I am under 50 and do not require to work here.

1. Am I correct in thinking I can apply, outside of Thailand, for a non-immigrant 'O' visa based on Thai spouse? For which I will need 400000baht in a thai bank account plus documents/pictures supporting our relationship, house papers/map and her ID card.

2. If the above is correct, I then can apply for a 1 year extension of stay?

3. Does she need to go with me to apply for the original visa or just the extension?

4.When the extension expires can I extend for a further year or do I start the process again?

Many thanks for your help.

Colin

Edited by colinp

You can either go to Bangkok immigration and ask for a conversion to a non-immigrant visa based on your Thai wife. For this you must be able to show 400,000 in a bankaccount in your name in Thailand or an income of 40,000 a monht. Income from abroad must be confirmed by embassy letter.

You will also need other paperwork, confirming that you are marreid and living togehter with your Thai wife. Your wife should also go with you.

paperwork includes marriage cewrtificate, copy of entry in wedding register (khor rhor 2 form from amphur), wife's ID card and household registration, photo's of you and your wife together in and outside the house, map to your house

If you don't meet the money requirement, you can get a multiple non-O in Laos, savanakhet.

Marriage Requirements for 12 month Extension at immigration.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Registry entry.

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

Thanks for the answers. Would like these 2 confirmed, especially no. 4

3. Does she need to go with me to apply for the original visa or just the extension?

4.When the extension expires can I extend for a further year or do I start the process again?

Thanks for the answers. Would like these 2 confirmed, especially no. 4

She doesn't need to go with you to apply for the Type-O based on marriage visa that you get outside of thailand. You will of course need to give a copy of the marriage cert and you'll also want to have a copy of her ID card as well.

There is not much need for you to leave the country to do all this if you are here and already married. You can go to immigration and have your current visa converted. For that you will need your wife with you.

As for what happens when the 1 yr extension is up, you go to immigration and apply for another 1 yr extension. All the same paperwork and pictures will be required given that the requirements don't change.

Also, I can tell you as an American that got my Type-O from the US I was never asked to show any money in the bank. As for the 1yr extension here in thailand all I needed to do for income proof was get an advidavit from the US embassy that states how much I make a month (must meet 40k min). I filled out the form and paid the money and the embassy signed it. It's all rather simple really.

Edited by Jayman

If you go abroad to apply for a visa, your wife doesn't need to accompany you. You just need the wedding certificate and a signed copy of your wife's ID and household book. A small note from your wife asking for a visa for you might also be nice.

If you apply for the conversion at immigration, your wife will need to go with you.

When the extension expires, you simply apply for a new extension. You can keep doing this as long as you meet the requirements (being married and have the money)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I did my 1 year extension to support Thai family today at Jomtien immigration and they accepted my affidavit from US embassy as proof of income without requiring any other supporting documents.