Does Anyone Have A Static Ip From True Online?

HardenedSoul

I need a static IP address. My ISP is True and, currently I have a dynamic IP. As many of you will be aware, Bangkok's electricity supply rivals that of South Africa in terms of inconsistency so power cuts are a regular occurence. Often, my IP address will change from one starting with 58.xx to one beginning with 115.xx or 61.xx.

This is playing havoc with a particular application I want to use. The support team for this application suggested I ask True for a static IP but I wanted to run it by folks who can comprehend my English first before embarking on a mission that's likely to require several Xanax pills to temper the frustration of dealing with Thai-style customer service.

I'm loathe to discuss the application because, frankly, I just can't be arsed to check Thaivisa's mickey mouse rules but suffice it to say it's 100% kosher.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3 years ago I forwarded a demand on a fixed IP to True, circling around the customer services for months. they come back with an outrageous price, with unknown service level. they tried to convince me for a LEASE line for better protection, what ?

my solution eventually - Dynamic DNS, from Dynamic Network Services ( http://dyn.com ). various service plans available, from free to USD200 enterprise level.

Eventually got a call back from True. The girl said a fixed IP would require a new package which is usually targeted at SMEs rather than home users. Needless to say, the cost was ridiculous. I'm currently on a 14Mbps ADSL package paying around 1,900THB per month but the same speed with a fixed IP would run me 10,000THB per month. Needless to say, I declined.

The application/service is called UnblockUS and allows one to watch UK TV without geolcation challenges. It worked when I signed up for the trial but when I rebooted my computer, it wouldn't work. Their support team told me that my ISP (True) has "some kind of selective transparent proxy or DNS hijacking for some IP's and don't have it for others. Last week your IP was 58.* and everything was working, but it stopped working once you've got 115."

Probably cheaper to get a VPN, I guess.

Thanks for the responses anyway guys. Much appreciated.