PM Yingluck Forced To Speak To Virtually Empty Seminar Room

webfact

but i'd rather someone question my sexuality than accuse me of mass murder.

Huh?

As you have declined to be specific, i am left to use my imagination as to the "beyond personal" insults that Yingluck faced to which you refer. The only thing i could think of was people questioning her sexuality in that period in which she was secretive about her common-law husband. Perhaps this is what troubled you? I don't know.

Either way, i am struggling to think of an insult that comes close to the accusation of mass murder - particularly insulting if without foundation of course!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The worst part is even her own people shunned her, "Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittirat Na Ranong refused to attend the event, claiming he had an important meeting with the SME Association." Looks like they are treating the window dressing with due respect, doesnt bode well for her future.

Maybe bad wording by the journalist, maybe a bad translation: I don't know why the word "refused" is used. Not every minister is required to attend every event the PM goes to. It would be rather inefficient. And he had to attend another meeting. Doesn't sound like shunning to me.

Your clutching at straw there with conjecture and imagination, its entirely possible that the word refused is used because they actually refused to attend. Consider that the PM gives a speech on financial issues and the "Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittirat Na Ranong refused to attend the event". In addition reporter and business leader fail to show. An area that should be of intense interest to the all, sounds like a big shun to me.

The wording was intentional because this is a propaganda piece translated by one PAD "news" agency from a piece done by another PAD "news" agency. It is just PAD trying to stick it to the gov't which they do on a regular basis. It's not a big deal.

The real journalists present actually reported on the speech's content.

And, so again.. the Thai voters got, where they voted for... a bunch of nothing.

So, waiting till the next election to get theri 20-50THB election money, to get in persons, who can steel their investment for therio parliament seat back a dozen times at least from the tax money..

And the flooding... will come back just as since 1942 and 1995... with also this time.,,,. NOTHING done.

Who is to blame: the politicians or those who gave them their mandates = voters ?

imageaspx-1.jpg

The More She Speaks, the Worse Things Get

The image and competency of Thailand's first female prime minister are once again under fire after less than an impressive number of business leaders bothered to turn up to hear her speech on Thailand's economy in 2012. Some even say, the more she speaks the less confident investors become.

It could be the spillover effect from her less than stunning performance at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

On the world stage, in front of political and business leaders, the premier had failed to restore confidence in Thailand after its economy was devastated by one of the worst flood crises in decades. In fact, one could even go as far as saying her performance did the opposite.

Her delivery of the speech had garnered a lot of negative opinions from the public, especially those who do not favor her brother Thaksin Shinawatra or the Pheu Thai Party.

The anti-Yingluck camp said her speech was impossible to understand even when it was translated in to Thai. Her speech was so poorly received with her political opponents saying she was better equipped to participate in a fashion show rather than sharing her vision.

If you look at her past performances, the dismal responses she garnered from Davos and the 2012 economic forum at home should not have come as a surprise.

Yingluck's surface value is a product of 'speculative trading' by her brother, Thaksin. Her brother had painted such a wonderful picture of Yingluck, creating false perception of her professionalism and made it possible for her to be elected to Thailand's top political position.

Public speech blunders are nothing new for Yingluck.

There were incidents when she mispronounced key Thai words which had distorted the entire sentence's meaning. Once, she pronounced concrete as "con-nok-rete." Online VDO clips of the PM's public speech debacles have garnered hundreds of thousand of hits.

Her political opponents are pointing to the VDO evidence and embarrassing responses to the premier's public addresses as solid proof that she is merely a puppet on strings. She was given the moniker of "parrot" by Government House beat reporters, referring to her tendency to repeat whatever she's been 'taught' to say.

During her 6 months in office, the premier had failed to instill confidence or pride in Thailand. Her poorly assigned Cabinet has failed to server the country's interest, focusing more on their own. The cost of living skyrockets during the term of the Yingluck government. The state is now trying hard to rein in the steep food prices including the price of the popular read-to-eat dish of stir-fried Thai basil chicken or pork with rice.

The government could also face a major backlash if the Constitution Court ruled against its endorsement of the executive bills dealing with the 1.14 trillion baht debt of the Financial Institutions Development Fund (FIDF) and the Finance Ministry's ability to take out 350 billion baht loan to spend on projects that will supposedly prevent a repeat of 2011's flood crisis.

All of the above are reflections of the prime minister's poor performance. Not to mention the biggest debacle of all, the attempt to amend the 2001 Constitution. The public has become impatient as the embattled premier faces more tough questions as her political opponents weave a wicked web to link her name, and Pheu Thai's, to the movement that aims to amend Article 112 of the Criminal Code, that deals with lese majeste law, by the Nitirat group.

Translated from Manager.co.th

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-02

footer_n.gif

imageaspx-1.jpg

The image and competency of Thailand's first female prime minister are once again under fire after less than an impressive number of business leaders bothered to turn up to hear her speech on Thailand's economy in 2012. Some even say, the more she speaks the less confident investors become.

It could be the spillover effect from her less than stunning performance at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

On the world stage, in front of political and business leaders, the premier had failed to restore confidence in Thailand after its economy was devastated by one of the worst flood crises in decades. In fact, one could even go as far as saying her performance did the opposite.

Her delivery of the speech had garnered a lot of negative opinions from the public, especially those who do not favor her brother Thaksin Shinawatra or the Pheu Thai Party.

The anti-Yingluck camp said her speech was impossible to understand even when it was translated in to Thai. Her speech was so poorly received with her political opponents saying she was better equipped to participate in a fashion show rather than sharing her vision.

If you look at her past performances, the dismal responses she garnered from Davos and the 2012 economic forum at home should not have come as a surprise.

Yingluck's surface value is a product of 'speculative trading' by her brother, Thaksin. Her brother had painted such a wonderful picture of Yingluck, creating false perception of her professionalism and made it possible for her to be elected to Thailand's top political position.

There were incidents when she mispronounced key Thai words which had distorted the entire sentence's meaning. Once, she pronounced concrete as "con-nok-rete." Online VDO clips of the PM's public speech debacles have garnered hundreds of thousand of hits.

Her political opponents are pointing to the VDO evidence and embarrassing responses to the premier's public addresses as solid proof that she is merely a puppet on strings. She was given the moniker of "parrot" by Government House beat reporters, referring to her tendency to repeat whatever she's been 'taught' to say.

During her 6 months in office, the premier had failed to instill confidence or pride in Thailand. Her poorly assigned Cabinet has failed to server the country's interest, focusing more on their own. The cost of living skyrockets during the term of the Yingluck government. The state is now trying hard to rein in the steep food prices including the price of the popular read-to-eat dish of stir-fried Thai basil chicken or pork with rice.

The government could also face a major backlash if the Constitution Court ruled against its endorsement of the executive bills dealing with the 1.14 trillion baht debt of the Financial Institutions Development Fund (FIDF) and the Finance Ministry's ability to take out 350 billion baht loan to spend on projects that will supposedly prevent a repeat of 2011's flood crisis.

All of the above are reflections of the prime minister's poor performance. Not to mention the biggest debacle of all, the attempt to amend the 2001 Constitution. The public has become impatient as the embattled premier faces more tough questions as her political opponents weave a wicked web to link her name, and Pheu Thai's, to the movement that aims to amend Article 112 of the Criminal Code, that deals with lese majeste law, by the Nitirat group.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Ouch, ouch and ouch!!!!

Still, this article is far from perfect..... 2001 Constitution? Is that some kind of a compromise between the 1997 and 2007 versions?

imageaspx-1.jpg

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Ouch, ouch and ouch!!!!

Still, this article is far from perfect..... 2001 Constitution? Is that some kind of a compromise between the 1997 and 2007 versions?

Looks like Sondi's team is working overtime. Go PAD! Go!

• Like 1

What a surprise, unhappy with the source, but nothing critically constructive to say about the content whatsoever.

Your comment is misplaced. I've already commented in this thread regarding (1) the propaganda source, and (2) the actual content of the speech.

Yet here is a new piece of propaganda posted which doesn't serve any purpose other than to promote the agenda of the PAD. Exactly like the lead article.

Webfact did post a real report in this thread and others have pointed out other sources of information regarding the event. Those efforts are appreciated.

Your comment is misplaced. I've already commented in this thread regarding (1) the propaganda source, and (2) the actual content of the speech.

Yet here is a new piece of propaganda posted which doesn't serve any purpose other than to promote the agenda of the PAD. Exactly like the lead article.

Webfact did post a real report in this thread and others have pointed out other sources of information regarding the event. Those efforts are appreciated.

I maintain, you haven't offered any constructive criticism of what has been levelled at Yingluck in the articles, nor have you provided any reasoning for why you believe what they are saying is not true. All you have said is 1) you don't like the source 2) the idea behind the speeches is good. Neither of those comments address or rebut comments made in the articles.

What an odd report.It is odd because there are not very many economic reporters in Thailand and the association isn't that big. I think it has less than 50 members. The primary journalists association is The Thai Journalists Association (TJA). The TJA is the result of the Reporters' Association of Thailand and the Thailand's Newspapers Association merger in part due to the reduced numbers of journalists in Thailand.

Is this the same Journalist Association on Soi Aree that I've seen festooned with Thai Rak Thai banners during the early noughties?

If so, then, I guess they would ensured the attendance was alot higher! Kent Brockman, eat your heart out!

but i'd rather someone question my sexuality than accuse me of mass murder.

Huh?

As you have declined to be specific, i am left to use my imagination as to the "beyond personal" insults that Yingluck faced to which you refer. The only thing i could think of was people questioning her sexuality in that period in which she was secretive about her common-law husband. Perhaps this is what troubled you? I don't know.

Either way, i am struggling to think of an insult that comes close to the accusation of mass murder - particularly insulting if without foundation of course!

OK that's it for me:there's a limit to my ability to participate in this kind of exchange.I don't think most people have any difficulty in understanding the meaning of "sexist abuse" or distinguishing it from accusations of "mass murder".

OK that's it for me:there's a limit to my ability to participate in this kind of exchange.I don't think most people have any difficulty in understanding the meaning of "sexist abuse" or distinguishing it from accusations of "mass murder".

Sexist abuse comes in so many different forms, and as we are not talking about men groping ladies bums, not talking about any physical acts, but about people writing stuff, i'm struggling to imagine exactly what it is that has been said that you feel crossed the line, and what you feel is more insulting than what the past four male PMs have had to deal with - which as i say, includes being called mass murderers. Insults don't get any greater than that in my book, and Yingluck has yet to be accused of that, as far as i am aware, yet she is the one you feel has been treated particularly badly on here?!

I maintain, you haven't offered any constructive criticism of what has been levelled at Yingluck in the articles, nor have you provided any reasoning for why you believe what they are saying is not true. All you have said is 1) you don't like the source 2) the idea behind the speeches is good. Neither of those comments address or rebut comments made in the articles.

Rixalex, I am surprised that you want me to spell it out for you. The "criticism" comes from a corner of the political spectrum who, if they didn't like the way Yingluck did her hair in the morning would report "PM embarrasses Thailand with new coiffure".

And what criticisms, concretely, are leveled against the PM in the lead article? Including the title, there are 11 sentences. The only facts were the first 2 sentences after the title. Most of the vocabulary is purposefully negative : "forced to speak", "bothered to come", "unwillingly took the stage", "refused to attend"... all of which would have you believe that the person reporting this was an "insider", but how would they know? The reporter is also the PM's personal assistant and follows her everywhere, of course not. in fact, the writer was perhaps not even present - the give away is "accounts from reporters on the scene".

And you and I both know how conscientious TAN and The Manager are regarding the truth and accurate reporting.

I thought after all this time you wouldn't this explanation.

Coming back to what has been leveled at the PM - the only thing really described is that there was a speech and not many people showed up. Not one single news source reporting on this speech (that I have seen) mentioned the low turn-out or anything else written in this "article". And in return, this "article" doesn't mention any of the news from the speech which was reported in other sources.

But TAN feeds into the mentality here as you can see - 7+ pages of speculative drivel and insults generated by a fluff propaganda piece.

So, the only facts are that there was a speech by the PM and it was at the Dusit Thani Hotel. TAN managed to spell the name of the organizing group correctly, but never got so far as to correctly give the title of the talk much less ONE WORD about the content of the speech.

So tell me, why should I waste more time on "constructive criticism" of this article?

• Like 1

So tell me, why should I waste more time on "constructive criticism" of this article?

Well for what it is worth, i found that response much more interesting to read than your usual one-line "more propaganda crap" response, so hopefully not a total waste of your time.

What a surprise, unhappy with the source, but nothing critically constructive to say about the content whatsoever.

And no way to deny it either. Just blow it off as propaganda? What? We've seen her speeches, so no need to defend her since she cowers away from speech, or screws it up like Tonya Harding screwing up a triple axel.

Her speeches are like that beer commercial years back: It was the Miss Universe pageant, and for her final question they said: "How would you change the planet?"

She replied, "Uhhh which planet?"

That's Yingluck in her unexposed little world that never knew a challenging or difficult day. And now it's all finally knockin' on her doorstep.

She's just a little show pony with no knowledge or experience, and it's definetely showing! She's gotta be the weakest and most pathetic politician I've ever seen.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

But he's got enough waffling skill and free time to open a "waffle shop". Or maybe preach to hoodlums and motorcycle taxi drivers when good ol' Yingluk can't fill the room.

Edited by gemini81

Well for what it is worth, i found that response much more interesting to read than your usual one-line "more propaganda crap" response, so hopefully not a total waste of your time.

I appreciate that. Seriously, not meaning to offend, but it seems like you could have already figured out these things since you know as much or more than I do about Sondi and his media outlets.

Take care - Tom

The worst part is even her own people shunned her, "Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittirat Na Ranong refused to attend the event, claiming he had an important meeting with the SME Association." Looks like they are treating the window dressing with due respect, doesnt bode well for her future.

Maybe bad wording by the journalist, maybe a bad translation: I don't know why the word "refused" is used. Not every minister is required to attend every event the PM goes to. It would be rather inefficient. And he had to attend another meeting. Doesn't sound like shunning to me.

If this was supposedly set up Months In Advance,

then her finance mister could have scheduled the SME

Small and Medium Enterprise meeting for later or another day, well in advance.

Getting a confirmation of attendees 'well in advance' also

doesn't mean they will show, just that they said they would at the time.

Things change, and if the people just don't show, then the host is

left in the lurch, but not nearly as much as the speaker they

no longer had interest in listening to.

What an odd report.It is odd because there are not very many economic reporters in Thailand and the association isn't that big. I think it has less than 50 members. The primary journalists association is The Thai Journalists Association (TJA). The TJA is the result of the Reporters' Association of Thailand and the Thailand's Newspapers Association merger in part due to the reduced numbers of journalists in Thailand. My understanding is that the EJA was supposed to send out the invitations to busines leaders and it seems they didn't tell people the PM was speaking. Putting aside one's bias, it really is unusual no one was there because businesses will typically send a couple office workers to sit and represent the company. Aside from the EJA dropping the ball here, I expect that the PM's press secretary is going to get a smack down over this. It is inexcusable prep work.

On the other hand the PM was a success in Davos and drew a large crowd;

Thai Night draws CEOs at Davos WEF The Nation January 28, 2012 2:54 pm

The Thai Night at World Economic Forum in Davos was well attended by global corporate leaders.

The event was attended by more than 600 guests who braved the cold weather and many other competing events.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra hosted the event with Thai foods, fashion show, boxing and Thai dances.

She assured guests that Thai government was on top of the flood problem and Thailand was back in business as premier investment hub in the region. The event was well attended by Thai corporate leaders including CEOs of PTT, Thai Airways International, Bangkok Bank, Thai Bev, etc. Both foreign and finance ministers joined the event with foreign guests stayed into late night

My point in posting the Davos article is to show that the M's office can get the bodies in the seats when necessary.

I'm sure if they had offered free "Thai foods, fashion show, boxing and Thai dances" the attendance would have been better. Yingluck alone apparently isn't attracting a lot of interest.

it's about prep work. In this case I believe the EJA didn't send out the invitations properly. The PMO press secretary relied on the EJA instead of checking. I wouldn't be surprised if the press secretary is shown to an inactive post somewhere in Chiang Rai.