Marriage Requirements

I understand that to get married I need a certification from the UK embassy that I am not married. Does this mean that I need to show them copies of my divorce decree etc. or does it merely take the form of an affadavit?

If I need to show copies of my decree etc. will the documentation from them indicate my previously married status? Basically I ask so that I know how much I need to tell my prospective in laws about my past relationship (my Fiance is knows the situation).

Hope someone can help.

I just went through a marriage ceremony at my wife's hometown, but the local Gov't office wouldn't register us without my birth certificate and a single certificate! I'm having a friend who's coming from the US bring the birth certificate and, according to a previous reply in this thread, I can get a single certificate from the US Embassy. Does anybody know if I will need anything else?

TIA

I just went through a marriage ceremony at my wife's hometown

Not really. In Thailand the only legal marriage is a civil signing of paperwork done by government officials. To qualify for this you must visit the US Embassy and fill out a form listing your income/references/that you are single/home address and such. pay fee and have it notarized by a Consular Official (in Bangkok this is done at the American Citizen Services Unit in the old Embassy compound). It then must be translated into Thai and then. fee paid, registered at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After this is completed you take a copy, with your passport, wife to be and her ID and present yourselves at a district office to register your marriage. You should also bring a Thai/English speaker with you to act as translator. Official will cover your backgrounds/time you have been together etc and then decide if they will register marriage. Small fee involved.

Now the real paperwork starts. Are you planning on her moving to USA or you moving to Thailand?

Thanks Lopburi3! My wife already has her single certificate, etc... and I'm going to try to get to the US Embassy tomorrow to get the single certificate. I've got faxed copies of my US tax returns and I have a Thai friend (school teacher) who is an official translator who has offered to make Thai copies of the English documents. My wife speaks English pretty well and I poot par sar Thai nit noy. I should have all of the paperwork together within a week!

Of course that's when the work really begins! :o

On an unrelated subject, does anyone know how to get a 3 month visa for my wife to visit the US with me? The only information I can find is about fiance visas. We are already married (unofficially) and will be registered in a week or so.

A standard tourist visa requires her to be a Thai millionaire before she can enter the US. I can sponser her, but I'm working as an English teacher in BKK, so my income is currently well under the US poverty level!

does anyone know how to get a 3 month visa for my wife to visit the US with me?

Like any other tourist she must first visit a post office to pay fee/get receipt and then take it and paperwork to the visa section of the US Embassy (next door to where you will go tomorrow). You can download application/information from the website or pick up. An interview will then be scheduled I believe.

She does not need to be rich but she will/with you have to prove ability to fund the travel and strong reasons to return to Thailand (as if not the immigrant visa process is required). This will probably require proof from you that you have contract to remain in Thailand and no plans to leave. It can be done but be aware officials will be suspicious of a tourist visa right after a marriage to an American. The fear being that you are trying to shortcut the system and she is not planning to leave.

If this is to meet the family and you have problems perhaps they could visit you? But nothing, but application fee, at risk in trying for a visa now as long as wife understands it could be a hard road.

O.S.57, It is gonna be very tough to get her visa,if you are married then it is tough to get a tourist visa for a wife as they don't think she plans to return,and they told me that it can take up to 2 years, But you are not married in the eyes of any government,so a fiencee visa is the easiest and cheapest to get,but will still take about 6 months. you will be married according to both Thai and USA when you have completed the trip to the Amphur in her district.

And I had with me the origional divorce decree and the gal at the embassy didnt even want to see it,just asked if I was single and never asked about anything else, and I filled out the form,she notorized it, I went across the street and got the translation,came home to Phetchabun,went to amphur with my wife she had her house papers and divorce papers,I had the form,passport,and we walked out in 15 minutes,married.