Making Sure Land Markers Don'T 'Accidentially' Move

Got fed up with out and our neighbours Nor Sor 3 border markers being (re) moved at high pace and requested the Land Dept to Re-survey it and convert to Chanote.

The guys did quite a good job surveying, but the markers are just a joke; 30cm long, and put in freshly plowed land. Just waiting to get moved again.

How to make sure these things remain in place?

Was thinking to dig a 0.5x0.5x0.5 hole and fill it with steel reinforced concrete and put the marker in. However that would imply me 'moving' the marker a bit myself. Not sure if the Land dept appreciates this....

Definitely put them in concert , steel reinforced. Take photos before and after..... To be extra safe Pay an Land officer to come out and watch you do it. This is what i have done... And they will not be moved...

Surely if the survey is done correctly it will reference a number of other 'known' points to establish each individual marker location (irrespective if it is currently in the correct location or otherwise)? Would it not be illegal to manipulate these official govt entities (it is on most other countries)?

Get the govt to establish it as one of their reference markers (maybe with a little assistance), then they will be the one installing it & not you.

When an landowner request an survey the survey report which will created has the signed and accepted by the neighbors.

I had this with my neighbor who requested for an land survey so they could split up their Chanote.

Before the survey the officers contacted my wife to make a appointment together with the neighbor so they could the survey with us in attendance and so we could get a agreement about the location of the markers.

The survey can not be requested and done from one side only, in this case you can complain at the land department after which the survey has to be redone.

When an landowner request an survey the survey report which will created has the signed and accepted by the neighbors.

Interesting as this wasn't my experience when I split up my land a few years ago, in my case the surveyors didn't deal with my neighbour at all.

A word of warning tho, the surveyors are not always that accurate, although my chanote clearly shows a dead straight line along the boundary, the surveyor dug a hole for the new marker about 18 inches 'offline'..I new immediately as there was a fountain of water where he had peirced my water supply pipe!

The surveyors are a joke really.

First time we had a survey done they showed up with a metal rod with a pipe welded across the top as a view finder (this was their level/angle finder...lol)

They could not find several markers so they used the neighbor accross the street wall as the starting point...there was no investigation as to whether that wall was in the right place.

Seems to me that as soon there is a wall up...that's where the boundry line is...

In my experience this was not the case. They just post the survey results on a "survey pending" type of board at the land department, neighbor has about 30 days to complain/appeal the markers, after that waiting period the new markers are registered as permanent.

• 1 year later...

hello - new life to an old thread

March last year my wife bought a piece of land in a new subdivision - took till November till the survey had been confirmed, chanote available and she has since paid the full amount.

As this land is an investment and she is unlikely to build on it, concern is that as surrounding properties get developed, there will be 'creep' in their boundaries.

Welcome any recommendations/experience - my thought is to have eight 3m concrete posts installed - 3m long, sunk to 2m, one each corner one half way each boundary. They won't move easily, then plant the boundaries in line with these. As it's land on an existing commercial orchard we're leaving most of the trees meantime.

What do you think? Just trying to avoid any hassles in years to come, and the expense of the 8 posts won't be great.

thanks.