Foodland Restaurant (Took Lae Dee) Menu Recommendations

jehricaholic

Hi Guys...

I've been wanting to try this very busy place in Foodland for a while now and finally have. I've been twice and have found 1 menu item worth returning for: Fried Noodles with Beef (#26 @ 61 Baht), authentic Chinese-style fried flat rice noodles.

There have been a few duds however: milkshakes, apple fritter, Indian-style chicken curry & Tonkatsu

Based on the % of 'hits', I'd rather stop exploring the menu and try some items that TV members can recommend, based on quality rather than price

Edited by jehricaholic

Chicken cashew nuts, sweet and sour pork, the full breakfast at 3am, the lemonade with crushed ice , banana fritters (not on menu)

if you want something cooking especially then buy it in foodland and they will cook it and serve for you

stir fried shrimps for instance, with a stir fry you can get yourself from the salad bar

all the foods from the shelves of foodland so its always fresh

its a great place, i have eaten there frequently over the last ten years or so

it should be noted that the owner of the foodland group eats there too when he is around

that ought to tell you something.............

• Like 1

I agree with the first 2 recommendations made by Timekeeper. I haven't tried the other items he mentioned. I also like their club sandwich, and the wonton soup. Took Lae Dee is, in my opinion, an excellent value. It's certainly not for the "elite"; but you find many places where you get this level of quality for the prices they charge.

One thing on their menu that has always amused me is the "American Fried Rice". I lived in several cities in various areas of the USA for most of my life. I have never seen fried rice served in the way they do it here. I've also seen a couple of other places serving essentially the same combination of items, and calling it "American Fried Rice". It's fried rice, with a fried egg on top, a chicken leg, and a terrible excuse for a sausage. I suggest that you pass on that one! :-)

• Like 1

There have been a few duds however: milkshakes, apple fritter, Indian-style chicken curry & Tonkatsu

Based on the % of 'hits', I'd rather stop exploring the menu and try some items that TV members can recommend, based on quality rather than price

If you've had that many duds, why are you so keen to persevere? To what do they owe the sort of loyalty in which a customer says, "well yes, that was crap, but i'll keep coming back until i stumble across something that isn't"?

I occasionally shop at Foodland. When I first started doing that, I did sample their restaurant about five times. It reminds me of a lunch counter in 1950's America. It's really not bad but nothing special. Given I am rarely in the neighborhood and there are MANY nearby restaurants that serve more interesting food, I won't be eating there again.

Edited by Jingthing

Good comparison with the "50's diner" comparison, JT. The only times I eat there are the occasions when my wife is in Foodland for a "major" shopping visit, and it's around dinner time. I wouldn't go there specifically as "restaurant" trip. As you said, there are far better options available when your primary objective is to go out for a good meal. But, as I said, I find most of the food that is "my type of food" to be pretty well prepared, and good value. They'll always be an option for me for a quick meal during shopping trips.

The yard long sausage they did was delicious ! I wonder if they still do that,,,, I tried it about 8 years ago.

It's not on the actual menu, but it is shown on a mini billboard adjacent to the restaurant. I'll definitely give it a try along with the suggested chicken & cashew, S&S pork, & wonton soup

If you've had that many duds, why are you so keen to persevere? To what do they owe the sort of loyalty in which a customer says, "well yes, that was crap, but i'll keep coming back until i stumble across something that isn't"?

Like I stated in my OP, I could go for the Fried noodle with beef a few times a week (it's my favorite Chinese dish from back home in Canada), although I may ask them to not use fish sauce (not very Chinese) and only use soy sauce.

I'm a big eater and need 2 items to satisfy me, thus I'm looking for that 2'nd hit. Foodland is about 4 min drive from my home by motorbike so I don't need to strictly go their for their superior food shopping (the much larger & closer Big C Extra sucks in comparison for anything fresh, especially vegetables).

Edited by jehricaholic

Like I stated in my OP, I could go for the Fried noodle with beef a few times a week (it's my favorite Chinese dish from back home in Canada), however I'm a big eater and need 2 items to satisfy me, thus I'm looking for that 2'nd hit. Foodland is about 4 min drive from my home by motorbike so I don't need to strictly go their for their superior food shopping (the much larger & closer Big C Extra sucks for for anything fresh).

Fair enough. The beef dish sounds a bit like a black bean stir fry. One of my favs too.

Typical TV post - someone wants quality food but does not want to spend money. Think what you can make fpr 50-100 baht and that is the quality of food you should be expecting. Nothing wrong with eationg cheap but dont expect Gordon Ramsay to be doing the cooking.

I occasionally shop at Foodland. When I first started doing that, I did sample their restaurant about five times. It reminds me of a lunch counter in 1950's America. It's really not bad but nothing special. Given I am rarely in the neighborhood and there are MANY nearby restaurants that serve more interesting food, I won't be eating there again.

Don't get excited by the 50's diner comment, they pack you in there like sardines.

Typical TV post - someone wants quality food but does not want to spend money. Think what you can make fpr 50-100 baht and that is the quality of food you should be expecting. Nothing wrong with eationg cheap but dont expect Gordon Ramsay to be doing the cooking.

Typical snobbish TV post, only comprehending what he expects to read.

I'm just looking for the best items on the menu, not looking for perfection for under 100 baht

I'm just looking for the best items on the menu, not looking for perfection for under 100 baht

the food can't be all bad, i often see the Mayor eating there and paying his bill

i expect he could eat for free in many other places..........

• Like 2

Like I stated in my OP, I could go for the Fried noodle with beef a few times a week (it's my favorite Chinese dish from back home in Canada), however I'm a big eater and need 2 items to satisfy me, thus I'm looking for that 2'nd hit. Foodland is about 4 min drive from my home by motorbike so I don't need to strictly go their for their superior food shopping (the much larger & closer Big C Extra sucks for for anything fresh).

Fair enough. The beef dish sounds a bit like a black bean stir fry. One of my favs too.

Nope, there are black bean or garlic/black pepper variations, but the flavoring in this dish is only fish/soy sauce.

Then visit regular and try all items. Only you can decide what is best for you and to your taste.

Mine too. If you are expecting a real Chinese tasting black bean stir fry there, forget about it. I tried it, it was meh. I can't find any place in town doing anything close to a good Chinese black bean dish. So I cook that stuff myself. They do sell the fermented black beans to make the dishes in their store though (among other places in town).

Nope, there are black bean or garlic/black pepper variations, but the flavoring in this dish is only fish/soy sauce.

Well then i stand erected.

They have fried noodles with fish &black bean sauce @ 81 baht (yes I took their paper menu home with me for signthaivisa.gif posting purposes)

They have fried noodles with fish &black bean sauce @ 81 baht (yes I took their paper menu home with me for signthaivisa.gif posting purposes)

Maybe they are serving you crap because they have spotted your menu thieving antics.

The paper menu and the paper place mat are one and the same, single use just like a napkin

You have to understand that there are many cooks in there. Any particular dish can go from very rough to very nice depending on luck and who's cooking it. Even the same cook doing a good job one time can mess it up another time.

Some (probably most) of them cook very heavy on the oil too - you have to watch this if you don't want to eat an oil slick. At one stage I had to ask them to go easy on it. It's better to chose quiet times when the cooks aren't under so much pressure - unfortunately it's so popular there aren't many quiet times.

For me it's a good place to eat late at night on a shopping trip but during the day there are too many better options. I can't stand eating elbow to elbow with total strangers. It's just too cramp.

Flames and counter flames removed. Enough already!!

If you wish your posts to remain on the board please use members correct names only otherwise they will be deleted and a posting suspension will be the order of the day. Likewise any suggestion of stalking.

• Like 1