How Much Should I Be Paying For A Gardener

egdirb

I live in a small moobaan. I pay a gardener 1000 baht per month to maintain the garden. For this he is suppose to come three times a months, rake the leaves and mow the lawn when necessary. It is in fact quite a small garden and doesn't require much maintenance at all, maybe mowing once a month and leaves raked here and then. The gardener obviously knows this as I hardly ever see him (except pay day of course when I can set my watch by him). So on average he comes two times a months where he spends 20 minutes or so, then on the odd occasion that he mows he spend about 45 minutes. Over the course of a month he would spend 1 1/2 hours here maximum.

I would be very interested to know what others pay (happy for a recommended gardener too) and what I should be expecting for 1000 baht per months.

Thanks

• Like 1

I pay 400 baht a day I think. But then for almost a full day. Depends on the season how often we do that, probably once a month. The small stuff the maid does, like watering the garden.

I think this is one of those 'up to you' things, where you decide what you want to spend.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I pay ours 300 baht per visit for trimming, cutting the lawn and sweeping/discarding the remnants and leaves. Would say our area is a little larger than mallmagician's. I will give more when there is more significant work needed such as trimming some of our really tall trees. Probably around 1.5-3 hours per visit. This is out towards Hang Dong.

We pay 1000 a month, they come 3 times a month cut the grass, trim the trees and bushes and a long hedge.

remove fallen leaves etc.

They come with 5 or 6 people and equipment and do our plot 190 sq. wa and my neighbours 140 sqw in about 3-3.5 hours

Very satisfied with their work, I think they only work in our moobaan.

1,000 baht per month. His team cuts the grass, trims and other stuff maybe 2 or 3 times per month or as required. What's most time saving for us though is that he waters the garden every day. This is a good 45 minutes and I don't have the time or inclination to do it.

I think that you are paying a reasonable amount but I think that you might have him do a few more things. Perhaps more weeding. Just give a list and he will do more stuff.

In our country home we have a guy come 3 times a week 3 rai of land. He turns the water on, rakes the leaves and does the odd bit of pruning and shaping. He gets about 3K a month but he more than earns it. He is also 71 and probably only will be doing it for another year. It is hard to find reliable people that work as hard and are as humble as the older generation.

The crew that does our city home (3 old women) comes once a month and it is only 350 baht for 100+ talang wah. They don't do any pruning of the trees though. Our old crew did everything and charged the same. Usually about 2 hours work for 3.

We pay 1000 a month, they come 3 times a month cut the grass, trim the trees and bushes and a long hedge.

remove fallen leaves etc.

They come with 5 or 6 people and equipment and do our plot 190 sq. wa and my neighbours 140 sqw in about 3-3.5 hours

Very satisfied with their work, I think they only work in our moobaan.

That's good, we pay 1000 per monthly visit for the same on 140 sq wah for around 5 hours.

90mins work for 1,000 baht from a labourer. I'd do it for that and properly at that! Op, you are being ripped off and anyone who says that's a good deal doesn't really know the score. Bet the dude tells his mates what a cushy deal he's on.

A team of four/five in L&H would do a 90Sq wah pad for 300-400, including removal/sweeping, with all their own kit. It's 1,000 baht a month for watering every other day and two full cuts a month, including trimming hedges etc.

• Like 1

300 baht .. in Bangkok

trimming, cutting the lawn and sweeping/discarding the remnants and leaves

once a month

We pay 500 Baht per Day x 4 times per month and we have a fair size garden and he does a great job and honest guy.Think he has a few days spare in one week if you need him.Rob.ps Hours 9am -5pm Edited by SausageKing

90mins work for 1,000 baht from a labourer. I'd do it for that and properly at that! Op, you are being ripped off and anyone who says that's a good deal doesn't really know the score. Bet the dude tells his mates what a cushy deal he's on.

+1

I pay my gardener a 1000 baht a visit, and she's only here for 90 minutes. But, then there's not much do do on a balcony garden, so she takes care of other chores.

Haha, good to see you back Ian

If anyone knows a good gardener in the Nong Hoi area (near Gymkhana Club), please PM me, available 2-3 days per week for the first month (rehab needed), and then once a week thereafter

thanks, ~o:37;

When I cant be bothered to do it myself, which is about 3 times a year, I use a local guy and he charges me 700thb for the garden (half a rai approx). He's usually here about 5 hours and takes all the cut grass, weeds and fallen leaves etc with him. But like I say I usually do it myself with a mower and strimmer.

1,000 baht for 3 visits a months seems quite reasonable to me.

OP said: "Over the course of a month he would spend 1 1/2 hours here maximum".

You (ODS), obviously don't have the need for a gardener, 1,000 Baht for 1 1/2 hours is waaay OTT!

1,000 baht for 3 visits a months seems quite reasonable to me.

For 1 and a half hour a month? A normal unskilled male worker makes 200- 300 per day, and that's at least 8 hours of work.

The Burmese guy that takes care of my garden and at least 50 other homes in the moobaan makes 1200 per day. He works his ass off and does a great job. He does a pro job, i.e. prepares the soil before planting, knows what plants need how much light, etc. You get what you pay for...

OP said: "Over the course of a month he would spend 1 1/2 hours here maximum".

You (ODS), obviously don't have the need for a gardener, 1,000 Baht for 1 1/2 hours is waaay OTT!

But haven't you heard, Uptheos? You get what you pay for! cheesy.gif