Images Of Chiang Rai.

chang35baht

Do any of you "pioneers of Chiang Rai have any pictures of Chiang Rai city From when you people arrived here. It would be nice to see the changes that have taken place over the years.

I myself have only been here 6 years or so. I couldn`t afford the digital cameras that where around then so I only have some 35mm snaps. But not too much has changed of late.

If you have any post them in the pinned images section and give dates please.

Cheers,

Chang35baht :o.

I only made pictures once with the purpose of preserving the present.

As we all know: To-days present is to-morrows past!

I made them in the old prison before they demolished it partly. I did this before I had a digital camera. Lousy pictures of a lousy photographer.

For many years the land-office of Chiang Rai, as somebody told me, made pictures of all houses in town which were going to be replaced by new buildings.

They must have had hundreds of pictures showing how Chiang Rai looked in the past.

Two years ago I asked where these pictures were.

They were thrown away, as somebody told me, the boxes which contained them were standing in somebodies way :o

The National Archive of Payao is the only institution that set up a project (among others an exhibition) to collect photo's from the past among the public.

It worked out well.

Three years ago the same approach was tried in Chiang Rai. There was a meeting at the Provincial Office under the chairmanship of the Vice Governor of that time. Present were representatives of the Cultural Council of Chiang Rai, the Rai Mae Fah Luang, the Sala of the local artists, the Alliance Française, the National Archive of Payao, the National Museum of Chiang Saen, the Tourist Authority Thailand and the Chiang Rai Hotel Club.

The Vice Governor was in favor of the plan.

What happened after the meeting?

Nothing ....

Limbo.

Thanks Limbo. I had this notion after browsing thru the images of Pattaya forum a day or two ago. There were a couple of picture from a while back. One from 1968 I believe.

Some people have the skill to transfer from celulloid to computer. I haven`t. let`s hope somebody up here has.

• 4 years later...

Thanks Limbo. I had this notion after browsing thru the images of Pattaya forum a day or two ago. There were a couple of picture from a while back. One from 1968 I believe.

Some people have the skill to transfer from celulloid to computer. I haven`t. let`s hope somebody up here has.

chang35, I got equipment to transfer from slides and from celulloid to digital. Also if you have 35mm snaps on paper. No problem!

Would be very interesting to see how Chiang Rai looked before!

:):huh::)

I think chang35 is an old man now,considering it's nearly 6 years ago he posted this.

So you think he has forgot all about this?

No no, chang35 is a young lad, he is not senile like you :blink: and me :huh: , he remember and he is happy it only took 6 years for someone to answere his question!

:D;):D

I think chang35 is an old man now,considering it's nearly 6 years ago he posted this.

So you think he has forgot all about this?

No no, chang35 is a young lad, he is not senile like you :blink: and me :huh: , he remember and he is happy it only took 6 years for someone to answere his question!

:D;):D

Older for sure, and maybe a little bit wiser I hope.

Glad you have time on your hands to trawl thru 4 1/2 year old posts DD.

Nice try with the pic Scue but not really what the topic was after. Thanks for your efforts.

See you in October Sven.

Still alive and kicking and waiting to unleash my wrath on a decent topic.

Personally, I think the forum has changed/morphed into a chatsite now instaed of a forum. Thats why I`ve taken a back seat of late, Just my honest opinion. And It`s not a slight on the intelligence/contributions by people of late. It`s just not my thing

Regards to all.

C35B.

Regards to you, as well, C35B.

We're working on a chat place where we can go and bother each other a little more than bothering others. We're still waiting on an answer from TV but I am confident that they are looking into it. I suspect that if it comes to pass, the forum will go back a little more like a forum than a chat room.

The current chat function on TV is sooooooo lacking, but even so, we use it as much as possible for our antics. We'll use it more if they improve it.

Snow in Chiang Rai

snow%20in%20chiang%20rai.jpg

Wow, snow in Chiang Rai! I guess this not happens very often. Sceadugenga, do you know which year this happened? My Thai is not good enough (yet) to read your newspaper clips.

I can imagine it snows sometimes in the mountains and it must make life very difficult for the hilltribe peoples but I never thought it snowed in Chiang Rai. In my country Sweden we are very used to snow, it can be -45°C in the winter and +35°C in the summer. But cold weather and snow must be very difficult for Thai people. In Sweden the houses are insulated and equipped with good heating sources but I don't think that's the case in Thailand.