PC Tablets Involve Many Systems, Download Problems: Thai Education Ministry

webfact

A friend of mine who works in the I.T. industry here in Bangkok has seen the latest proposed dial up network diagram for the schools that are currently experiencing bandwidth problem vis a vis these tablets.

I have published a copy of the plan below for our general edification concerning the connection problems and the proposed format for solving said problems..

image9CP.JPG

Edited by siampolee

This project definitely has potential. Much depends on the execution.

One big problem at this point: the schools with satellite-only access are going to be in a world of hurt. I wonder how many of them can be converted to HSPA "3G"? The government may find it more cost effective to get HSPA out into the boonies, rather than trying wired connections.

(You cynics in the crowd should realize that Apple just proposed doing something like this in the US through its iCloud services and iBooks Author. At least in concept, it makes a lot of sense.)

Yes, but the US has a thousand times better telco infrastructure than Thailand will ever have.

You would think someone would have thought of connectivity issues for schools in Nahkon Nowhere prior to moving forward with such a program.

<snip>

You have to be off to work at 5:15pm? Obviously not a teacher then - so why the interest?

DOHHHHHHHHH...The fact that i'm off to work at 5.15pm (2nd job) Kinda shows that i am a teacher. If i was a rich expat i would have more time on here making stupid statements.....:D

And this is a surprise???? We all knew this last year, now they're just acknowledging it!!! I wonder when they'll launch their satellite for the other 16,000 schools???? Maybe that will big brothers saving grace?

Also, I don't see those kids reading books on those tablets.........

The few kids that have them at my school just play games with them - I asked them if they have MS office on them, but they don't!!

The principle of the idea is fine, but execution by teachers, software availability, Internet connection, maintenance of the units will be very problematic. They should instead focus on reducing class sizes (building more schools), better teacher training, more relevant curriculum, etc, before even thinking about tablets. Some schools don't even have properly functioning computers (such as my staffroom lol)

• Like 1

How about a new project to fibre connect all the schools? Sounds like lots of money to spread around and everyone will be happy smile.png

A bit like the government budget to pay the bail for the red shirts...

Edited by MaiChai

Having taught in Thai schools for 9 years, the kids are not lazy or inherently disinterested, in fact the vast majority are really nice little human beings who are willing to have a go at everything. That some get educated despite the system is a huge credit to those individuals.

The system is failing them (excuse the pun).

I can only conclude that there is a determined effort to keep them uneducated that stems from the ministry. Cheering, rote learning, compulsory passing, lining up, strict haircuts, hell 10 years ago most students were not allowed to ask the teacher questions - no, really! It was deemed to impolite to question one's superior.

Far easier to indoctrinate a population of their low standing in society by starting when they're young, then the ruling class can run roughshod over them to their hearts and wallets content.

This tablet policy was obviously not thought out, but then again, it never was intended for the betterment of the students.

It was intended for the parents and to get their votes. And it succeeded brilliantly and the objective has been reached and there will now be a light coating of whitewash applied - just enough so that the ruling class can proclaim that they tried and because the parents are conditioned not to question superiors, the whole self serving political patterns will repeat.

Sounds ridiculously daft doesn't it?

I invite any teachers out there to refute my beliefs though.

Edited by weka
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but the US has a thousand times better telco infrastructure than Thailand will ever have.

You would think someone would have thought of connectivity issues for schools in Nahkon Nowhere prior to moving forward with such a program.

Exactly. They are trying to build a seven-story building from the top-down.

I was an IT Program Manager for the Washington DC Government for the last six years and we spent a great deal of time shoring-up the network infrastructure of the DC School system before trying to do any kind of IT modernization in the classrooms. It makes absolutely no sense to start deploying network-dependent services when there is no usable network in place. I'm surprised that I even have to point this out; it should be a no-brainer even to the layman.

We deployed a great deal of fiber under the streets of DC, which probably isn't wise for a water-logged country like Thailand. I don't have the knowledge of the lay of the land here, nor do I know how far-flung the schools are from each other, but it makes sense to start deploying some kind of robust wireless technology like WiMax where each school can be a subscriber station. And WiMax isn't ungodly expensive and there are countries in Southeast Asia that can sell us the technology. I believe South Korea exports a good deal of WiMax hardware.

One big problem at this point: the schools with satellite-only access are going to be in a world of hurt. I wonder how many of them can be converted to HSPA "3G"? The government may find it more cost effective to get HSPA out into the boonies, rather than trying wired connections.

(You cynics in the crowd should realize that Apple just proposed doing something like this in the US through its iCloud services and iBooks Author. At least in concept, it makes a lot of sense.)

Woody, I thought sat connections were pretty good these days? What's the performance normally like now?

Regarding the USA, it is not everywhere. And some large communities only have a single provider. But that is not an issue for Thailand.

It is possible that the tablet project will push the braodband build-out in Thailand.

It is possible that the tablet project will push the braodband build-out in Thailand.

It should. The providers will probably be paid quite well to get the connections to all the schools. And even if they aren't (probably, especially if they aren't), once they are at the schools it won't take them much to get to a lot more houses, where they'll be able to make considerably more money.