2012 Cbr 1000 Rr

SumetCycle

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Agreed 120hp is way more than enough for a first big bike, especially in Thailand. It can be de-restricted later. Personally I would rather spend an extra 100,000 thb for a new officially imported bike for which I can get dealer support for too, as long as it wasn't going to be ridiculously costly to de-restrict in the future.

I've checked to see how much it would be to de-restrict an 08CBR1000RR with Red Barron and was told that it would be 100,000Baht+. Lets also remember that the spec states 118hp (crank) for japan spec and 178HP (full spec) for the 08-11 model which i believe is the same as the new 2012 version. So you're probably looking at about the same as a CBR600 which is a good jump from the CBR250 but still a pain in the ass to de-restrict when you get sick of 600cc bikes blowing by you. One day at the track and you'll wish you got full spec.

Heh heh, so dude, I gotta ask, how are you enjoying the CB'r' 250 at the track? hit-the-fan.gif

Alot needs to be done with the little CBR250 to make it quick at the track, but i think it has help me drop my laptimes on the Superbike. I'll be taking it down to BIRA on saturday if you're around. I'll be trying some new gearing out and some more suspension upgrades, hopefully i'll drop a couple more seconds if i can get it right...Lapping at 1:16s on it now.

Cool Dawg! I'm going to hit the BRC tomorrow to blow off the cobwebs and then BIRA on Saturday and Sunday so look forward to seeing you there. Do you have any recomendations for decent places to stay near the track? I hate taking my trailer in to Pattaya... I don't doubt that riding the 250 is excellent practice for the bigger bikes! Ride On! T

Thanks for that. I just found this website: http://www.moto-work...converters.html Surely it can't be as easy as popping one of these on.

That will probably fix the ECU restriction but you'll still have to put full system exhaust and whatever parts are needed to change the air intake, sprokets

I thought I read somewhere that the Japanese CBR1000RR has different cams too?

Cool Dawg! I'm going to hit the BRC tomorrow to blow off the cobwebs and then BIRA on Saturday and Sunday so look forward to seeing you there. Do you have any recomendations for decent places to stay near the track? I hate taking my trailer in to Pattaya... I don't doubt that riding the 250 is excellent practice for the bigger bikes! Ride On! T

Looks like my buddy wants to take the CBR250 to thailand circuit on Sunday and tune the API TECH ECU, so i'll probably just take the ER6n down and ride it or the CBR1000 on saturday. Need to make some adjustments to the ER6n suspension and see if i can make it around BIRA without ripping up my tire.

Any idea what the total cost is for derestriction? I'm going to do it for sure when the warranty is up. Thanks.

How much of that 100,000 do you think is labor? Would using used parts reduce the price much? Thanks.

Brian/Sumetcycle

My thoughts are: since you want a brand new, legitimately imported CBR1000RR from Honda Thailand, just get the bike. Then look for parts on US Ebay from a crashed bike to derestrict. Or you could send an email to Sun Coast Cycle in the US and make a request for a 2012 CBR1000RR harness and ECU and they will notify you when they get one.

The problem you have is that your bike is brand new, and there is not enough time that has elapsed for salvaged parts to come onto the market. But as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, someone will wreck a 2012 CBR1000RR.

The 100,000 baht price I am absolutely sure is due to the cost of buying brand new parts from Honda. As a dealer, you should know how much Honda charges for a brand new ECU/CDI and for a wiring harness. Buying used from a salvage yard, the ECU and harness should be less than $150 a piece. I know this because in 2008 I bought a crashed 2006 CBR1000RR and that's how I got the parts to repair.

What you will need to do is

(1) open up the airbox when you get the bike and remove the extra plastic pieces which restrict airflow into the air filters? Cost=free.

(2) put a free flow exhaust on your bike, which you were probably going to do anyways because I don't think anyone with a sportbike keeps their factory exhausts.

(3) swap out the ECU. The cost is whatever you can pick up a used ECU for. The labor on this should be free . Just plug in a new one from a US spec bike.

(4) swap out the wiring harness. The cost of the harness is whatever you can find a used one for. The labor for this aspect is the most difficult of any of the other modifications, but I don't think it is that difficult.

With my bike, when I got it the fuse box was sheared off from the crash. That left the harness cut up in bits and pieces and it took time for my mechanic to figure out where everything was supposed to plug in. Note the dangle of wires hanging from the left side. That is where the fuse box should have been.

1725_45221366470_2999_n.jpg

Swapping out the harness on your bike should be simpler since you have a running, intact bike with the harness in place.

This is what a main harness from a 2008 to 2011 harness looks like:

$(KGrHqN,!n8E63WLoHU1BO+dLm46i!~~60_12.JPG

The labor involved would be to take the body panels off your bike. Start at one end of the bike, like the tail lights, unplug the factory ecu at the connector, and plug in the new harness. Go connector by connector from one end until all the old connectors have been replaced. Voila! You have replaced the harness. Not that difficult. You could probably do it yourself.

I don't think the cams are different, so they don't need to be replaced. The rear sprocket, the difference of one or two gear teeth is not going to make that much of a difference. The gearing ratio as it is set up now by Honda is designed to compensate for the reduced power.

If you're riding Superbike, you'll find out soon enough there is no substitute for power.

Heck my Mighty Tiger pumps more power now than a Thai spec CBR1000RR and it still ain't enough! :(

It not so much for outright speed, it more for sheer grunt, ie as you come out of a corner and get on the power. The more you squirt out of a corner, the bigger the thrill. :)

Any idea what the total cost is for derestriction? I'm going to do it for sure when the warranty is up. Thanks.

How much of that 100,000 do you think is labor? Would using used parts reduce the price much? Thanks.

Brian/Sumetcycle

My thoughts are: since you want a brand new, legitimately imported CBR1000RR from Honda Thailand, just get the bike. Then look for parts on US Ebay from a crashed bike to derestrict. Or you could send an email to Sun Coast Cycle in the US and make a request for a 2012 CBR1000RR harness and ECU and they will notify you when they get one.

The problem you have is that your bike is brand new, and there is not enough time that has elapsed for salvaged parts to come onto the market. But as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, someone will wreck a 2012 CBR1000RR.

The 100,000 baht price I am absolutely sure is due to the cost of buying brand new parts from Honda. As a dealer, you should know how much Honda charges for a brand new ECU/CDI and for a wiring harness. Buying used from a salvage yard, the ECU and harness should be less than $150 a piece. I know this because in 2008 I bought a crashed 2006 CBR1000RR and that's how I got the parts to repair.

What you will need to do is

(1) open up the airbox when you get the bike and remove the extra plastic pieces which restrict airflow into the air filters? Cost=free.

(2) put a free flow exhaust on your bike, which you were probably going to do anyways because I don't think anyone with a sportbike keeps their factory exhausts.

(3) swap out the ECU. The cost is whatever you can pick up a used ECU for. The labor on this should be free . Just plug in a new one from a US spec bike.

(4) swap out the wiring harness. The cost of the harness is whatever you can find a used one for. The labor for this aspect is the most difficult of any of the other modifications, but I don't think it is that difficult.

With my bike, when I got it the fuse box was sheared off from the crash. That left the harness cut up in bits and pieces and it took time for my mechanic to figure out where everything was supposed to plug in. Note the dangle of wires hanging from the left side. That is where the fuse box should have been.

1725_45221366470_2999_n.jpg

Swapping out the harness on your bike should be simpler since you have a running, intact bike with the harness in place.

This is what a main harness from a 2008 to 2011 harness looks like:

$(KGrHqN,!n8E63WLoHU1BO+dLm46i!~~60_12.JPG

The labor involved would be to take the body panels off your bike. Start at one end of the bike, like the tail lights, unplug the factory ecu at the connector, and plug in the new harness. Go connector by connector from one end until all the old connectors have been replaced. Voila! You have replaced the harness. Not that difficult. You could probably do it yourself.

I don't think the cams are different, so they don't need to be replaced. The rear sprocket, the difference of one or two gear teeth is not going to make that much of a difference. The gearing ratio as it is set up now by Honda is designed to compensate for the reduced power.

Thanks a lot for the information. I figure I'll wait for the two year warranty to run out anyway, so stuff to do the de-resrtiction should be available by then. I'm sure with my mechanics help we could do the labor ourselves.

Sumetcycle: do you see that heaping pile of mess pictured above? If me and my mechanic could put that back together into a bike that you could not tell was ever crashed, you and your mechanic can do a simple wiring harness swap. ;)

And yeah, I agree with you. Wait until the warranty runs out. The parts will be cheap and plentiful by then. I do not trust any aftermarket ECU add on things to override the limiter. My friends and I modified Acura NSX's (the cars) with turbos. We had so many problems with the ECU...you really can't bypass a Honda ECU without tripping some error code. If you're going to do it, do it right and swap out the ECU and wiring harness with a genuine Honda

Sumetcycle: do you see that heaping pile of mess pictured above? If me and my mechanic could put that back together into a bike that you could not tell was ever crashed, you and your mechanic can do a simple wiring harness swap. wink.png

And yeah, I agree with you. Wait until the warranty runs out. The parts will be cheap and plentiful by then. I do not trust any aftermarket ECU add on things to override the limiter. My friends and I modified Acura NSX's (the cars) with turbos. We had so many problems with the ECU...you really can't bypass a Honda ECU without tripping some error code. If you're going to do it, do it right and swap out the ECU and wiring harness with a genuine Honda

I think the biggest cost of the de-restriction would be changing the exhaust. As you pointed out, wheather Japanese or American spec, most people would change that anyway.

Here's my -04 CBR1KRR in Bangkok. I had the speed limit removed by a guy who came with a new ECU and a laptop, quick fix.

Will let this bike go very cheap, I have booked a Panigale at Ducati. Delivery June/July.

If anybody is up for daytrips or just riding around Bangkok, I'd like to hear from you.

Cheers,

Tom

Now:

30287_400630391600_632726600_4454559_4146380_n.jpg

Soon:

393385_10150425507041601_632726600_8695202_365313888_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Elsewhere IS Thailand- you can buy a US Spec CBR1000RR for around 700k Baht NEW from importers such as Red Baron and 59 Bike.

No idea what you're trying to say here: "a non -imported l thai bike"

Might want to jump on those while you can....

I heard Red Baron will be bringing all the Jap fours newest models in March, 2012 ZX10R, CBR1000RR, GXSR 1000 & POS R1.

Congrats to the OP on the CBR1000RR. Prolly one of the better track ready bikes straight out of the box.

IMO the 08 CBR1000RR is the best track ready bike on the market.

08 CBR is incredible, really great bike...you can probably expect to see the new 12 bikes at Red Baron in coming weeks, but not GSXR...maybe later

Congratulations its a lovely bike I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun on it.

Very nearly bought the 2008 CBR1000 red one from Red Baron but chose a 600 (for just now) instead.

Theres no point saving for tomorrow if you cant enjoy today. wai.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

haha Ill be there to compare notes mate! gonna see what you can run with the stock suspension first?!

thats the plan, got some suspension settings from the motorcycle usa track test as a starting point.

haha Ill be there to compare notes mate! gonna see what you can run with the stock suspension first?!

thats the plan, got some suspension settings from the motorcycle usa track test as a starting point.

You,ll need a bigger van to haul all these bikes around........lol

• 1 month later...

The Fireblade really isn't made for two, but if you ride with a pillion from time to time this seat makes a world of difference. It keeps the passenger from sliding back and fourth during acceleration and braking.

I also picked up a K&N filter and ordered an Akrapovic exhaust from Hong Kong last week. I'm waiting to get a new ecu before I install them though.

post-121278-0-56328300-1344584199_thumb.

post-121278-0-26677700-1344584201_thumb.

post-121278-0-12071500-1344584208_thumb.

How is it in the city sumet?

Do you ride it often on the city roads?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Thaivisa Connect App

It took some getting used to moving up from a 250, but now I get through the traffic just as easily as I did on the 250. I thought the mirrors were fixed at first, but they actually fold in. Splitting lanes is now no problem in city traffic. It does get a lot hotter than the 250 though. I'd say my riding has been 50/50 city riding/touring.

The Fireblade really isn't made for two, but if you ride with a pillion from time to time this seat makes a world of difference. It keeps the passenger from sliding back and fourth during acceleration and braking.

I also picked up a K&N filter and ordered an Akrapovic exhaust from Hong Kong last week. I'm waiting to get a new ecu before I install them though.

So you're not going with the "carabao" plate holder, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I had my Akrapovic exhaust and K&N filter installed at Honda Big Wing today. I also ordered one of these - http://www.moto-work...converters.html . Not actually sure if it will work, but I'm going to give it a try.

I kinda preferred the look of the original exhaust. What differences will the new one give?

The stock exhaust is where the catalytic converter is located. At this point it mostly improves sound, as the bike is still restricted. Another benifit is that it is much lighter than stock exhaust. I gained a bit more hp and torque. From the dyno chart I saw it seems to help out mostly between 3 and 4 thousnd rpms and the top end with a slight increase along the hp and torque range. It did seem to pull even harder and accelerate even faster coming back after the installation. Although, that could be psychosomatic. The only way I can describe the acceleration is to say it's like your bike is hooked up to a thick cable being rapidly retracted towards one of those crash test dummy walls.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App