Eee Pc

Hooters

Replacing the screen is usually quite easy to do yourself if you can get the part. $50 is about the going rate for a screen for your notebook in the USA. What shipping and import tax would be I've no idea. If you know someone traveling from the USA that would be ideal.

I'd go to Pantip or Fortune Town, look for one of the dozens of kiosks with laptop screens in their display cases (new and used) and start bargaining. I've replaced 2 laptop displays, both purchased on EBay, one new and one used, and would not hesitate to do it again,

You could get someone to haul one over from the USA, but if it's not exactly right, you'll end up wishing you had it done locally. One of the screens I bought was the same size and advertised for the model I was replacing, but its resolution was too high so a border around the edges was blank. Bought another and intended to sell the first one- never got around to it, I was still happy with the economics of repairing instead of replacing.

dddave, thanks for the tip. That's where I'm going next time... I may even head over with my dinosaur Toshiba laptop to get a new CPU fan. It's old and slow and only 1 gig of RAM (maxed out according to everything I've read, but things change), Still, it's got excellent speakers and a great display resolution.

One other suggestion- to get an idea of what you're looking at pricewise, get on EBay and search "laptop monitor" or "laptop display" and your model. That will give you an idea of the price of laptop displays you'd be looking at, both new and used. It will be different here because this is, after all, Thailand. But you'll get a sense of whether they're trying to take you for a ride. Even on EBay, the price for a new replacement display can vary by as much as 100% or more.

Edited by impulse

dddave, thanks for the tip. That's where I'm going next time... I may even head over with my dinosaur Toshiba laptop to get a new CPU fan. It's old and slow and only 1 gig of RAM (maxed out according to everything I've read, but things change), Still, it's got excellent speakers and a great display resolution.

PROCORNER is along the back wall, right side of bldg. as you enter.

Just some feedabck, went to pantip 2000bht replaced screen and completed in 30 mins.

Love this about Thailand , back home would have been a 3 day turn around..

Wow I was just going to pot that my son "sat" on my EeePC computer today - just found out its got a cracked screen - fortunately not bad enough that I can't type this post. So should I try the official Asus dealer, or just go to only of the many laptop fixers (I'll try to send my wife out on the job tomorrow to Zeers, where I got the comp from. So it's anout 2000 baht for the backlit screen? My son will be happy as I just took 4K from his savings:)