Bkk To Siem Reap By Public Transport.

crudy21

Im going to have another look round Angkor Wat, i was there a few years ago but feel the 2 days were not enough plus a friend has expressed a desire to go.

Can someone suggest the best way's (excluding flying) to get there from BKK Airport and would we get there the same day if we arrived from in Europe at 09.30 am.

Also some info on the latest scams at the border wouldn't go a miss, i came back over land the last time i was there and can't say i noticed any, perhaps its worse crossing from Thailand to Cambodia?

Many thanks.

this site has it all-very often updated: talesofasia.com

You did NOT tell on what day to arr-and this is imprt, as many will now tell you there is a direct bus from airport to bordr to catch; NOT true-only on weekends. Weekdays only @7.30/.40

On normal weekdays you have the choice: going to a nearby station on eastern line (15 bt by bus40/50 by taxi)- or just 1 stop by ARL-then the afternoon deadslow and overcrowded 3d cl only train to Aran-arr around 18/19.00=too late for onward. As so many here seem to be trainpromoters in disguise, they will tell all wonderfull things about trains, bordering on cheating. NO advance booking-if all seats taken (likely) then stand.

OR: taxi to eihter Mochit busstation-or -if you are at least a little travelwise, even to the north end of Chatuchak park and catch the Aran bus-ev 30/40/50 mins-takes 4 hrs-pay on bus. OR-for the bathwatchers: bus 554 or 555 from BUSterminal Swampy-to rangsit/Future to catch said bus there=just a few kms further on. No-you cannot book online nor need to worry-it works just like the local bus # your home.

THis way you could arrive border by 16.00=enough time to go across and reach SR in sharetaxi.

Next alternative; MINIvan from the Vict. Monument to border-about hourly-take ARL till end + 1 stop on BTS and then good luck-most likely you spend a full hour in trying to find this van. When it finally starts running, it may even bypass Swampy on the motorway......

Many people do not even aware of the scams-they just think these lovely peopel are there to help and 'well worth the little money'' as they are so poor- the main aim is to get money from you by offering essentially unneeded ''services''. Up to you how big your heart is.

A quick and easy way is to take a train from Hualamphong. As to the scams they are a complete pain. If i were you id go around the guest houses on the Thai side who also act as travel agents. Arrange your transport all the way to Siem Reap and avoid all the scams and all the hassle!!

this tommy seems to be one of the usual TV posters-a bad response, and not reading what I wrote. The train is by far the SLOWEst and the less comfy option and has very little choice=just 2 trips/day. Also it stops quite near to Swampy-just 1 stop by ARL away. Also he does not appear to have ever been @ that border re his next advice. Again: talesofasia has it al.

And to OP: I do not see why your conclude to have to stay in BKK-ahain; READ. A night in Aran to give a headtsart next day is very well possible-and with some luck and determined bus-using, SR may be reached same day in the eve.

Thanks for the help, i am planing to get the train. Not so much a trainspotter as just rather see some countryside and i am planing on spending a night at the border i think. Is all forward travel in Cambodia finished by 6pm? How about returning from SR to Pattaya, what are my options?