Why Scandinavian Bakery? A Good Bakery Can Be Only French Right?

The vast majority of us prefer the bread we know - if we spent decades in that country.

Others prefer to follow 'trends' and swear that only French bread (or certain types of bread from their own country) is any good...

Presumably, the proliferation of Scandinavian bakeries reflects the number of Scandinavians living here.

Some of the best western-style bread I have had has been baked in Japanese and Taiwanese bakeries. Even here in Bangkok, I rather like St. Etoile for French-style baguettes.

The Danish bakery in back of the Villa Market across from Emporium has bread which looks like hotdog buns, but is really quite good for steak or pork chop sandwiches.

man,...I really LIKE the idea of a pork chop sandwich!...I've seen plenty of pork down the market and at lotus but never any pork chops...what gives?

btw, the Boulangerie on Main Street in Santa Monica was torn down some years ago, I just found out on google...I was thinking of the late 70s...the best sourdough bread on the west coast and a Venice-Santa Monica institution (cheap and popular with residents) gone...some developer built condos on the siteangry.pngangry.png ...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

man,...I really LIKE the idea of a pork chop sandwich!...I've seen plenty of pork down the market and at lotus but never any pork chops...what gives?

btw, the Boulangerie on Main Street in Santa Monica was torn down some years ago, I just found out on google...I was thinking of the late 70s...the best sourdough bread on the west coast and a Venice-Santa Monica institution (cheap and popular with residents) gone...some developer built condos on the siteangry.pngangry.png ...

I started eating pork chop sandwiches when I was a Marine and they pulled the pork chops out of a huge can of them. Now, I rather like them, but with fresh chops.

I buy them at the market sometimes, but whole, then I cut them into chops. I use the same cut for pounding flat for katsudon. But for the chops, I usually make a Hawaiian-influenced chop, southern-style with mushroom gravy, or sandwiches. But I rather like the ones with bones in them, and I buy those at Fresh Mart.

That's like saying only France makes wine. You have much to learn, and it's all delicious. licklips.gif

I beg to differ - have you ever eaten American bread- it is more like a sweet cake- how revolting for a sandwich.

Sounds like you're talking about Thai bread or the popular American bread of the 1950s and 1960s which was never as bad as Thai bread.

Indubitably, Jingting.

Billybob, Wonder™ bread is not representative of real (traditional) American bread anymore than McD is representative of an authentic American hamburger.

Ever have San Francisco sourdough? Amish bread? Buttermilk biscuits? Jalapeno-Cheese Bread? NY hard roll?