Grass-Fed Chicken Eggs In Chiang Mai?

DocHolliday2006

From huay kaew road going towards doi sutep get to the crossing dunkin donuts is on turn right down canal road as if your going towards the 700 stadium get to the traffic lights and keep driving past fine thanks the bar/restaurant the one with the big sign with the ganja leaf on should be on your left hand side keep driving until there is a crossing in the road which turns right into jed yod but you turn left into soi chang khain keep driving for about a 1 km and look for the egg sign on your left hand side opposite the big pink hotel that has been empty for years which now has a sign on it star hotels .

The women that works there speaks very good english and is very nice she will tell you about what different types of eggs they even have double yolk eggs .

I have seen many subjects about eggs on tv so i thought it was about time i shared this was meaning to take a photo but never got round to it .

Thanks for the directions, RakChiangMai

I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

If you look at this map: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Route+121&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=18.807518,98.96626&spn=0.020921,0.038581&sll=18.80504,98.965659&sspn=0.020922,0.038581&geocode=FUzzHgEdAgPmBQ%3BFToAHwEd1gvmBQ&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&t=h&z=15

Is the street I have to take a left down marked with the B?

So I take that turn and look for the egg sign on my left across from an abandoned pink hotel?

Thanks.

From huay kaew road going towards doi sutep get to the crossing dunkin donuts is on turn right down canal road as if your going towards the 700 stadium get to the traffic lights and keep driving past fine thanks the bar/restaurant the one with the big sign with the ganja leaf on should be on your left hand side keep driving until there is a crossing in the road which turns right into jed yod but you turn left into soi chang khain keep driving for about a 1 km and look for the egg sign on your left hand side opposite the big pink hotel that has been empty for years which now has a sign on it star hotels .

The women that works there speaks very good english and is very nice she will tell you about what different types of eggs they even have double yolk eggs .

I have seen many subjects about eggs on tv so i thought it was about time i shared this was meaning to take a photo but never got round to it .

No it's the next road up on your left have to take , The egg farm shuts about 4-5 pm everyday so it is better to go early in the morning think it opens about 7am it is where everyone gets there eggs from in chiang mai then sells them on for profit they have every kind of egg you can think of.

Edited by rakchaingmai

Thanks for the directions, RakChiangMai

I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

If you look at this map: http://maps.google.c...&sz=15&t=h&z=15

Is the street I have to take a left down marked with the B?

So I take that turn and look for the egg sign on my left across from an abandoned pink hotel?

Thanks.

That is not the correct road. You need to continue on Canal Rd. until you get to Sukhaphiban12 and turn left there. It is on the opposite side of the big ugly condo and about 50 meters past it.

Or, not to discount the wonderful directions and insight provided above re: free range chicken eggs....you could just go to Tops.

Yes, Tops.

They sell hi-so eggs that are certified organic, no hormones, free range chickens, etc. Says so on the package, has all the gov't certification, yadda yadda.

Of course they might not be available right now today, due to the floods/supply chain issue, but yes I have seen them. Recently. As in a few weeks ago, in (surprise!)- the egg section

The Tops in Kad Suan Kaew.

• 5 months later...

don't buy the omega 3 free range eggs... they feed the chickens the worst possible diet of things like soy, corn and flax seed. At muang mai market there are some free range wild duck eggs that are 30 baht/dozen and have beautiful dark orange yolks.

don't buy the omega 3 free range eggs... they feed the chickens the worst possible diet of things like soy, corn and flax seed. At muang mai market there are some free range wild duck eggs that are 30 baht/dozen and have beautiful dark orange yolks.

You do know that a simple food coloring additive in the feed does that, right? It's an all natural additive (produced on an industrial scale), but it's just a thing that farmers do to get nice dark orange yolks. Free ranging or not has nothing to do with it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I know Jo, the owner of this place, and I eat their eggs regularly. The chickens are raised without hormones or excessive use of antibiotics but I don't think they are free range. I don't remember what the feed is but Jo is a very conscientious and friendly woman and I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you. The eggs are also sold at Rimping under the brand name Kratak (or maybe Krataak?).

Sadly, most eggs sold at supermarkets are just marketing gimmicks. Here are some cage free birds, http://www.slow-life.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/free-range-hens.jpg

Some even advertise all natural vegetarian feed but funny thing is that chickens are omnivores.

The omega 3 ones are better than the regular eggs though if you are trying to balance the o-3 o-6 fats, but looking closely there is only 150mg of DHA in them if even that.

You use to be able to get Columbus Eggs at Tops last year, a superior choice, but they stopped supplying them. More info: http://www.eatcolumbus.com/english.htm (I use to special order 20 cartons from bkk)

Another "healthy" egg that is gone from production was from Doi Khum, 405mg of DHA in that one, and half the price of supermarkets.

Any non-omega 3 egg or non pasture raised egg will be fed on grains giving the yolk almost all omega 6 fat, in the range of 600mg.

i know im a long from you so i couldnt sell you eggs,,lol, but even having our chickens free range, we still have to feed them grain/ram and layers pellets,

ours just roam around our fruit trees, i started with 16 ex battery hens, i then bought 20 chicks from a motorbike, told they were femele all turned out to be cocks, but it was one of the best things we did as these cocks were proper english typ cocks, so we ate some and some just run with our hens andwe hatch eggs off, i got an incubator for uk, but we let our small hens sit eggs too,

sorry ive gone on there,

jake

Interested are these wild ducks called "nok ped nam" (bird duck water) as I have some in my fields and have never seen that the eggs were collected and sold.

Also anybody know a good chicken food that is "organic" or at least more healthy than the regular stuff as I have 10 chickens for my own egg eating pleasure and would like to produce the best eggs I can.

Interested are these wild ducks called "nok ped nam" (bird duck water) as I have some in my fields and have never seen that the eggs were collected and sold.

Also anybody know a good chicken food that is "organic" or at least more healthy than the regular stuff as I have 10 chickens for my own egg eating pleasure and would like to produce the best eggs I can.

hi there, if you just go to your local rice mill man in the village, your wife will know someone, and buy some ram and small brocken rice,, just add a little water to the ram and put in a bowl for them, youll find they love it,

jake

• Like 1

thanks we do grow one rai of 3 kinds of rice with no chemicals and feed it to the birds, but it's not enough. The stuff at the local rice mill is for sure full of chemicals, as I know the klong I get my water from is also. I also feed them all the extra from our organic veg plot but was wondering if there is any other source, but I guess I'm doing what I can and it's better for the family than other options.

you sound to be doing ok, i know what you mean about the chemicals,

i try and grow all our stuff without any, i just find i have to plant some kinds of plants that the bugs like better, i grow companion plants just so the bugs eat them, and ive found they love sunflowers, so i plant them and they tend to stay off my food stuff,,lol,

like i say our chickens have full roaming, and our eggs are beautiful and when i do kill some cocks the taist is so much better then the big c chicken, and to be honest they have had a good life before there end comes,

we keep pigs too, and ducks, fish, i would love to grow more of my own veg to be honest but its hard work here, but im improving the soil all the time with the compost, ive allways got compost on the go,

keep enjoying what your doing,

jake

Another outlet for anyone in our area.....South on 108, through Hang Dong main junction traffic lights, keep going about half a klick, pass Police Station on your right, about another 200 m on your right you will see a KODAK shop on your right with trays of eggs outside in all sizes,sometimes they have double-yolkers too. Take your own egg trays if you have them. These are the best eggs I have eaten since my Father had his own chickens when I was a kid, and no more expensive than the crap they sell in the Supermarkets. A lot of the market eggs are way too expensive and they cheat by mixing up the sizes in the bags as well.

^trainman are those grass fed / free range ?

They are said to be so, but without evidence to prove it who knows? All I can say is that they taste a hell of a lot better than the many others I have tasted here and they are like I had as a kid from our own family Chickens.

• 4 weeks later...

I know Jo, the owner of this place, and I eat their eggs regularly. The chickens are raised without hormones or excessive use of antibiotics but I don't think they are free range. I don't remember what the feed is but Jo is a very conscientious and friendly woman and I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you. The eggs are also sold at Rimping under the brand name Kratak (or maybe Krataak?).

Stop being cheap I buy Golden Egg Yes the chickens are feed gold dust. These eggs are flow in once a week from Switzerland. My Hi So wife would not eat any other eggs

• 2 months later...

Chickens DO eat grass ,so not dumb, dont know where to get free range eggs

but will be keeping an eye on this post ,and hope someone out there does,as

would like to buy some myself.

regards Worgeordie

Right. Chickens do eat grass but calling them grass fed would not be correct. Chickens can not live on grass alone.

The chicken meat and eggs that are the most healthy would be the pastured chickens. The term "Free Range" has been hijacked by unscrupulous companies that want to take advantage of the Free Range label by "allowing" their chickens access to the outdoors even if they have no access to grass or bugs if they actually do get to go outside.