Visa On Arrival Extention

Hey Guys,

Ok I'm kind of thinking out loud here, and have a few questions on tourist visas.

I'm going to be applying for a years ED visa but unfortunatly my passport runs out this year (My current non-im O visa expires in march).

I dont really want to go back to the UK to get a new passport and know I can get one via hong kong - this was all well and good but if I apply now i run the risk of not getting a new one back in time for me to exit and get the ED visa.

So my questions are;

- If I get a flight out for a weekend somewhere close (prior to sending my passport off), can I extend the 30 day visa on arrival in thailand?

- If I need to get a 60 day tourist visa outside of thailand how does that work with flights, as technically I wont be needing a flight back to the uk as I'd exit to somewhere close to get the ED visa after once the new passport arrives

- Is there another option?

--- update ----

I just thought my passport expires in october, so could I for example get a 6 month ED visa now, then when I re-enter send off for the new passport?

Thanks as always for the help

Edited by JosephMcCann

Local Consulates will not normally issue more than a single entry (90 day) visa so should not be an issue. Get the visa, get the new passport.

Ah ok thanks, so I just take a flight to some bordering country and apply for a single entry 90 day tourist visa in that country... what will they need to know regarding flights?, as at that stage I'll only have a ticket back into thailand

I thought you were getting and ED visa? Now you are talking about tourist visa? Or are you not in possession of paperwork for the ED for a couple months? If that is the case yes you must obtain the visa now that you have six months remaining on passport (none issued after goes below) and you can enter without ticket and stay up to 90 days (60 + 30) or until you have paperwork for ED and new passport to obtain it in.

I thought you were getting and ED visa? Now you are talking about tourist visa? Or are you not in possession of paperwork for the ED for a couple months? If that is the case yes you must obtain the visa now that you have six months remaining on passport (none issued after goes below) and you can enter without ticket and stay up to 90 days (60 + 30) or until you have paperwork for ED and new passport to obtain it in.

Yes sorry about that I thought you where refering to a tourist visa - my fault.

Ok so, no paper work yet, but am sorting it at the moment. Could in theory apply for a 1 year ED visa even tho my passport expires in October?

Or do i pay the school for a year first, get them to do the paper work, get the ED visa (60 + 90), re-enter and get new passport job done?

Thanks for the help

As said local Consulates normally will not issue more than single entry 90 day ED visa. If this is for part time language study that is definitely all they will issue. You extend your stay every 90 days at immigration in such case. No you could not apply for a one year visa with your current passport.

• Like 1

As said local Consulates normally will not issue more than single entry 90 day ED visa. If this is for part time language study that is definitely all they will issue. You extend your stay every 90 days at immigration in such case. No you could not apply for a one year visa with your current passport.

Ok great this is making sense;

So signup to language school for 6 months, get paperwork and get ED visa for 90 day at local consulate, then get the new passport and after the course is up do one for a year?

If you are talking part time study it is 90 days at a time - you do not have to leave the country but appear at Immigration every 90 days for a new extension of stay costing 1,900 baht each time. University study may get a one year extension of stay (and believe Phuket may also provide one year for non university).

• Like 1