Thai Immigration Law

Chapter 2, Section 12, Subsection 8 of the Immigration Act :

Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom:

8) Reason to believe that entrance into the Kingdom was for the purpose of being involved in prostitution , the trading of woman of children , drug smuggling , or other types of smuggling which are contrary to the public morality.

Imagine if they decided to enforce that first clause ("Reason to believe that entrance into the Kingdom was for the purpose of being involved in prostitution" ).

(I take it to mean that foreign "clients" would be considered to be involved with prostitition...which they are I guess!)

the very fact that this law exists makes me want to run for parliament, become a minister and enforce it.

Imagine the look on the faces of the punters at Don Muang after they've been turned back by immigration for another long haul flight back to where they came from!!

Samran if you ran for Parliament and became a Minister does that mean you lost your election and found God ? :D

"election" ....bronco, that is the Thai pronunciation I assume? :D

Lets just say that I have never had the urge to "vote" when I pass by Nana, Cowboy or am down Pattaya way....

Yes comrade...when the revolution comes I will order all immigration authorities to immediately deport people who indicate Pattaya as their Thai address on their TM immigration card. :o

:o

SamRan sez: (hopefully tongue in cheek)

"Yes comrade...when the revolution comes I will order all immigration authorities to immediately deport people who indicate Pattaya as their Thai address on their TM immigration card. "

I think this depends on point of view. Thai "Prostitution" isn't even close to that employment in other countries. American pros do a "wham bam, thank you ma'm" business. Take too long and the girl gets angry. In VN, it was similarly cut and dried. In Thailand I've seen bar girls get mad when sex for money was mentioned..... I've also taken bar girls out for a few days and money was never mentioned..... Every meeting is always a completely different and very friendly experience.

Digs

I agree here a very interesting catch 22 point!!!!!!!!!! Technically many foreigners who do enter Thailand do have certain purposes in mind, but thank goodness one cannot read the mind of the travelers true intents.

Secondly, now if they legalize Prostitution, I would suppose this part and some sections of this law then becomes null and void and moot but I would think again some parts and excerpts of this law will be re-written to reflect current conditions and present new laws.

However as it currently stands at present time it is a humdinger of a dinger since it looks like a two way street with no clear defined specifics pointing either way. I do suppose (which makes the most sense here) the authorities would have to have some kind of complaint or some evidence to enforce that particular law in question..

So therefore I am stumped on this one indeed, because of it being somewhat vague, yet amazed at the truth of many who say this is Thailand!!!!!!!!

I once encountered a similar scenario regarding the Philippino Laws concerning taxes vs the american laws concerning taxes. My former wife had this dilemma.

Very interesting folks.

Daveyoti :o