Non Imm Visa When You Have Thai Child

dont waste your time keeping 400 000baht of worthless money. Just do the normal 2 entry tourist visa. Every entry has a 30day extention + an extra 60days after that 30day when you have a child. That's 5months per entry.

the 400,000 only has to be in the account for 1 day to get a statement printed at the time you apply i think ?

the tourist visas locally are only valid for 3 months so you can't get 5 months from each entry,

so i'm guessing that i can get 3 months from the first entry and another 4 or maybe 5 months from the second entry ?

can you extend an extension ? on the second entry of a tourist visa would i be able to add 30 days then a futher 60 days if i present a birth cert. ?

double tourist visa 2000 baht

1900 1 month ext

border run 1500 baht

1900 1 month ext

1900 2 month ext

7300 baht for 7 months

9200 baht for 8 months ?

if i can get 1 year type O again i think it's cheaper ?

5000 baht for the visa ?

fee for agent (2000 baht)?

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

2 month ext 1900 baht

17 months for 7,900 + 5000 + agent fee (2000 baht ?)

writing it down on paper look like it's best to just fork out for the legalisation if your staying in thailand more than a few years

Get married 20baht at local amphur, non im o marriage visa 3 months in penang either 5or7,000 been that long cant remember (sorry), then when visa expires just extend in country 1900bht, with proof of 400,000 in bank or 40,000 per month income, can be joint you+wifes income, i've been on same 3month non im now since 2006 and extended every year since no probs, if you want to leave country re-entry permit bkk 1000bht. hope this helps good luck m8y.

"can be joint..." this is incorrect is it not - changedf several years back I believe.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last year hull issued me a type O , 1 year , but i contacted them recently and this is what they said :

You can apply for a non immigrant o multiple entries visa but the criteria have changed. If you have a Thai child we can only issue you a visa if you are married to the Thai mother or have sole custody of the child. Please see attached

i hope the other places in the u.k don't follow suit.

also they have stopped issueing type O for visiting friends .

dont waste your time keeping 400 000baht of worthless money. Just do the normal 2 entry tourist visa. Every entry has a 30day extention + an extra 60days after that 30day when you have a child. That's 5months per entry.

the 400,000 only has to be in the account for 1 day to get a statement printed at the time you apply i think ?

the tourist visas locally are only valid for 3 months so you can't get 5 months from each entry,

so i'm guessing that i can get 3 months from the first entry and another 4 or maybe 5 months from the second entry ?

can you extend an extension ? on the second entry of a tourist visa would i be able to add 30 days then a futher 60 days if i present a birth cert. ?

1900 1 month ext

border run 1500 baht

1900 1 month ext

1900 2 month ext

7300 baht for 7 months

9200 baht for 8 months ?

5000 baht for the visa ?

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

2 month ext 1900 baht

writing it down on paper look like it's best to just fork out for the legalisation if your staying in thailand more than a few years

Get married 20baht at local amphur, non im o marriage visa 3 months in penang either 5or7,000 been that long cant remember (sorry), then when visa expires just extend in country 1900bht, with proof of 400,000 in bank or 40,000 per month income, can be joint you+wifes income, i've been on same 3month non im now since 2006 and extended every year since no probs, if you want to leave country re-entry permit bkk 1000bht. hope this helps good luck m8y.

yes getting married is also an option , don't we have to get letters saying were not currently married etc ? any idea how much these cost and would i have to goto the british embassy in bkk ? my partner wants to goto the u.k to live so gettting married mayeb a way of doing that, but i don't know if it's a good idea and what's involved with u.k visas etc.

getting married does seem to make things easier to either live in thailand or goto the u.k but i have read divorce can be expensive and i've been married before and getting married for visa purposes seems like an accident waiting to happen.

hopefully i can get a cheap document made from Ampur instead .

Information on how to become a legal father can be found here: http://www.thaivisa....ts-as-a-father/

You only need to do that if you are not married to the mother at the time of birth. if you are married to the mother, you are automatically the father.

If not, you have to make cetain steps to become the legal father.

Thai law knows 3 ways to legitimize a child and become the legal fahter. Note that you can also legitimize a child through your embassy, that would be recognized by your country but not in Thailand!

-

hi mario,

i have read that link, do you know where i can find a sample of that legitimisation document that an ampur can make for me ?

if we goto ampur do they talk to the child and ask questions etc ? like a mini interview ?

after the birth we went to ampur and tried to register as much as possible my names added to the blue house book but when i showed that to immigration they said i had to goto court and showed me the petition document .

if i could find a sample of the ampur document i could try and get one of those made.

other option is to try and find a cheap lawyer in chiang mai and get the petition made but i'd rather try at ampur first.

regards,

chris

[email protected]

You just go all 3 to the amphur and declare at the amphur you are the father of the child. I guess all 3 of you will have to sign some docuents to that fact, which they will have at the amphur and with that recorded you will be the legal father. You can get a document at the amhur showing who the parents are.

But some immigration offices seem to demand you petition the court. Not sure about CM-immigration on this.

Can't direct you to any forms you can fill in.

1900 1 month ext

border run 1500 baht

1900 1 month ext

1900 2 month ext

7300 baht for 7 months

9200 baht for 8 months ?

5000 baht for the visa ?

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

2 month ext 1900 baht

"can be joint..." this is incorrect is it not - changedf several years back I believe.

Helped a friend do visa last year and phuket imm. stated he could use joint incomes chris, not sure if 100% because in the end only showed his own income for visa, so can't be positive, sorry.

It has not been joint income since police order 777/2551 came into force years ago.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an

alien must have an average annual income of not less than

40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank

of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses

within a year.

1900 1 month ext

border run 1500 baht

1900 1 month ext

1900 2 month ext

7300 baht for 7 months

9200 baht for 8 months ?

5000 baht for the visa ?

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

2 month ext 1900 baht

yes getting married is also an option , don't we have to get letters saying were not currently married etc ? any idea how much these cost and would i have to goto the british embassy in bkk ? my partner wants to goto the u.k to live so gettting married mayeb a way of doing that, but i don't know if it's a good idea and what's involved with u.k visas etc.

getting married does seem to make things easier to either live in thailand or goto the u.k but i have read divorce can be expensive and i've been married before and getting married for visa purposes seems like an accident waiting to happen.

hopefully i can get a cheap document made from Ampur instead .

You need your decree absolute from uk to prove you are free to marry, not decree nisi has to be absolute, and a letter stating affirmation of freedom to marry roughly as i've laid out below, I got my sister to get decree absolute and send it to me in Thailand cost 20quid if i remember correctly

AFFIRMATION OF FREEDOM TO MARRY.

I, ( full name) holder of british passport no............... issued at (passport office) on ( date of issue) and expires on (date of expiry), do solemnly and sincerely affirm that; I am eligible to marry a Thai national according to Thai law.

I am of British natinality and I was born on (D.O.B) in (place of birth).

My fathers name is(-----------) and my mothers name is (----------).

I am divorced and have no dependants from my previous marriage or relationships( children over 18 not classed as dependants not sure if you have younger kids whether you should state that you have, sorry).

I am (retired, working, state appropriate) and I have an income of (!!!!!!!!!) pounds/baht per month.

I propose the following people for reference purposes if it is necessary to verify the above details.

(name of ref).

Full address of ref.

(name of 2nd ref)

Full address of 2nd ref.

My permanent address is (---------------------).

I confirm that all the above is true and correct.

Affirmed at the British Embassy Consular Section, Bangkok on the (date) day of (month), 201!.

Before me ( consular officials name ).

Hope this is useful worked for me in 2005 anyway so good luck.

thanks for the info. so do i need to goto the british embassy in bkk and have this affirmation printed on headed paper etc? how much does that cost ? and do they do it while you wait ? maybe i could get it done at the chiang mai consulate ?

i can have the absolute posted to me no problem.

i have no regular income coming into my thai bank account, but i do withdraw around 40,000 each month from my u.k account so maybe i should try and put that money into my thai bank each month to get my cretit rating up ?

so to get the yearly extension it's either 400k in bank account or 40k a month ? how many months do i need to show 40k - sorry i'm being lazy i realise you guys answer this question all the time and i can find out easily.

looks like cheapest option is to get married then extend showing 40k a month going into my thai bank.

regards,

chris

I hold a USA passport. sorry I did not mention this before. Does this change anything for making myself the legal (legitimate) father?

no it doesn't best option is to either marry the mother or goto court and have the petition made , that's if you want to live in thailand and use either document to extend a non tpye O visa .

i'm not sure about parental rights i presume if your married then maybe have more rights than the petition ?

other choice is to keep getting new visas but if they are only 3 month ones it's not ideal situation.

If you are married to a Thai or have a Thai child with Thai nationality you can get a 60 day extension regardless of what kind of visa you are on. Visa exempt entry, tourist visa or non-immigrant visa doesn't matter.

A tourist visa can be extended by 30 days, most immigraiton offices will allow an extra 60 days if you have a Thai wife or child. So it could be 60 days, plus 30 days plus 60 days. But check with your immigraiton office.

You must appear with wife/child and their ID-card, wedding certificate/birthcertificate and household registration book, and maybe some other documents. Only you showing up will not do it.

I hold a USA passport. sorry I did not mention this before. Does this change anything for making myself the legal (legitimate) father?

no it doesn't best option is to either marry the mother or goto court and have the petition made , that's if you want to live in thailand and use either document to extend a non tpye O visa .

i'm not sure about parental rights i presume if your married then maybe have more rights than the petition ?

other choice is to keep getting new visas but if they are only 3 month ones it's not ideal situation.

sorry forgot to mention the extension i'm taking about is a 1 year extension.

If you are married to a Thai or have a Thai child with Thai nationality you can get a 60 day extension regardless of what kind of visa you are on. Visa exempt entry, tourist visa or non-immigrant visa doesn't matter.

A tourist visa can be extended by 30 days, most immigraiton offices will allow an extra 60 days if you have a Thai wife or child. So it could be 60 days, plus 30 days plus 60 days. But check with your immigraiton office.

You must appear with wife/child and their ID-card, wedding certificate/birthcertificate and household registration book, and maybe some other documents. Only you showing up will not do it.

I already do this with my tourist visas but was wondering if you can do it once with a border visa? I really dont want to do my next visa run next month and would rather just drive a couple hours to the border just once and get a 90days extra

I already do this with my tourist visas but was wondering if you can do it once with a border visa? I really dont want to do my next visa run next month and would rather just drive a couple hours to the border just once and get a 90days extra

have you tried extending an extension ?

i read one guy did it before but i doubt all offices will grant it.

people extend year after year so maybe they will allow 60 days after 60 days ?

have you tried extending an extension ?

i read one guy did it before but i doubt all offices will grant it.

people extend year after year so maybe they will allow 60 days after 60 days ?

No but i asked and they said nah.

Mario2008. Those 30days exempt you can them 3 times a year right? with 60days extentions that means i could go on 9months a year without a real visa?

That would save me about 90 000baht in wasted money in my most hated country in the world, Malaysia.

That 30days is gettable by car right? i can just drive to ranong burma and spend a few hours on the beach there and come back? Don't need to fly too sg/kl and come back a few hours later?

Edited by thaiIand

I can't tell you about a getting a non-Imm visa based on having a Thai child but, based on very recent experience, I can on the 12-month extension.

It's a pain and, having done it for two years, I will not be doing it again. What you need in addition to the regular passport photocopies, mini-photos, etc is :

- birth certificate (in Thai)

- 400,000 in the bank (it must be in Thailand though not necessarily in Baht depending on which Immigration office you attend). There is some confusion as to how long the money must have been there. Immig wanted it there for three months but the police regulations, as available in Thai RTP777_2551 (2).pdf and English courtesy of Isaan Lawyers Police Order 2008 (2).pdf on ThaiVisa (see attachments, state just the amount - not a duration. (In the same section, the regulations state that for an extension based on marriage 400,000 for two months is required.) Play safe and make it three months. These regulation, however, appear to apply only to the initial application for a twelve month extension, not for a subsequent 12 month extension.

- a letter from the Ampur office stating that you are caring for the child. In my case, the Ampur office wouldn't issue it to me. The mother had to request it. (The boss in the Ampur office was far to busy looking at magazine about guns to bother about responding to questions such what happens if the mother is dead, run off, out of the country, whatever.) The Ampur office also needs two other people to witness that you take care of the child - grandma and Pu Yai Baan worked. There also seems to be some confusion as to whether you need to get this every year or can use a photocopy the same letter each year. Immigation officers seem to always refer to this letter as "the letter from the lawyer" which caused great confusion until eventually I worked out what they wanted.

- three normal sized family photos of you with the child at the Thai home. You will NOT get them back.

Once you have these together you can then submit them at the Immig office. They will then be sent to Bangkok. You then return at the end of the month follow to find out whether your application has been successful. This submitting to Bangkok happens EVERY year, not just on the first application.

An officer at Korat Immigration told me they get only about ten such applications a year. Korat Immig deals with a lot of 12-month extensions as it covers at least three large provinces, Nakorn Ratchasima, Buriram and Surin, and is always a busy office.

Perhaps you understand why in October this year I'll be reverting to the retirement extension.

On the concept of using 60 day extensions, that is fine so long as you are near an Immigration office. If you have to do 300+km round-trip every 60 days to get a new extension it works out about the same as getting a 12 month extension.TP777

Thanks for your report. It is good to know that there is at least 1 consulate issueing multiple non-O's based on having a Thai child in the region.

Brunei and Singapore also.

Be careful with Singapore, I was denied, a Non Immigrant O Visa, single entry as I had only the Birthcertificate with me, with my name in it,

the Lady there wanted a lot more to see and was very unfriendly to. (2011)

I cannot say if they are ok, if you apply for a Non Immigrant O Multiple entry and have all papers in Order, but I would call them first,

because I doubt that special this Embassy is strict by the book working.

She tried even to make a Tourist Visa difficult and asked for everything possible, -Ticket out of Thailand and wanted to see money!

By the way, I am from Austria, not a third world country!

I can't tell you about a getting a non-Imm visa based on having a Thai child but, based on very recent experience, I can on the 12-month extension.

It's a pain and, having done it for two years, I will not be doing it again. What you need in addition to the regular passport photocopies, mini-photos, etc is :

- birth certificate (in Thai)

- 400,000 in the bank (it must be in Thailand though not necessarily in Baht depending on which Immigration office you attend). There is some confusion as to how long the money must have been there. Immig wanted it there for three months but the police regulations, as available in Thai RTP777_2551 (2).pdf and English courtesy of Isaan Lawyers Police Order 2008 (2).pdf on ThaiVisa (see attachments, state just the amount - not a duration. (In the same section, the regulations state that for an extension based on marriage 400,000 for two months is required.) Play safe and make it three months. These regulation, however, appear to apply only to the initial application for a twelve month extension, not for a subsequent 12 month extension.

- a letter from the Ampur office stating that you are caring for the child. In my case, the Ampur office wouldn't issue it to me. The mother had to request it. (The boss in the Ampur office was far to busy looking at magazine about guns to bother about responding to questions such what happens if the mother is dead, run off, out of the country, whatever.) The Ampur office also needs two other people to witness that you take care of the child - grandma and Pu Yai Baan worked. There also seems to be some confusion as to whether you need to get this every year or can use a photocopy the same letter each year. Immigation officers seem to always refer to this letter as "the letter from the lawyer" which caused great confusion until eventually I worked out what they wanted.

- three normal sized family photos of you with the child at the Thai home. You will NOT get them back.

Once you have these together you can then submit them at the Immig office. They will then be sent to Bangkok. You then return at the end of the month follow to find out whether your application has been successful. This submitting to Bangkok happens EVERY year, not just on the first application.

An officer at Korat Immigration told me they get only about ten such applications a year. Korat Immig deals with a lot of 12-month extensions as it covers at least three large provinces, Nakorn Ratchasima, Buriram and Surin, and is always a busy office.

Perhaps you understand why in October this year I'll be reverting to the retirement extension.

On the concept of using 60 day extensions, that is fine so long as you are near an Immigration office. If you have to do 300+km round-trip every 60 days to get a new extension it works out about the same as getting a 12 month extension.TP777

hi,

do you have a copy of that letter from ampur i could see please ? so i can take it to ampur and say i want the same.

are you married to the mother ?

how old is your child ?

no worries if you can't ,

chris

If you are married to the mother, immirgation will normally give you an extension of stay based on the marriage. In practise the extension of stay based on a Thai child is more for people who have a child togehter but are not legally married.

@mrMo. After a 60 day extension based on a Thai wife/child you will not get a new one. Than you either apply for a 1 year extension or leave the country.

Where did you get that little gem from?

You don't say what nationality you are, but typically, not all consulates will offer Thai child visa facility; and those that do will have their own criteria.

If you are inclined to travel to the UK, then I would highly recommend the Cardiff consulate. Very easy; very quick - 5 minutes, in and out [or they will issue by post] - application form, photo, birth certificate - translation not required - 125.00 [current fee]. One year, multi-entry, and effectively 15 months if you leave and re enter just before the visa expires - 17, if you then extend, though Chaeng Wattana ask for different criteria to the consulate.

hi,

i'm from the u.k and living in chiang mai, i would fly back to the u.k but air asia are stopping there flights soon and not worth me flying with someone else and spending too much.

last year i was in the u.k and applied at hull but this year they wont issue me one, i hope the others in the u.k wont follow them.

mines due for re-newal in may and i have already booked a cheap flight to KL but i'm unsure of what to do yet.

i'll wait and see what an agent charges either at KL or penang if not post to uk if they are still allowing it,

ideally i would like to post it to u.k whilst in thailand but i read that you can't have 2 visas at the same time ? maybe if i wait until after my current visa ends and i go on a 15 day visa exempt i could post it back then ?

other choice is to find a cheap lawyer and get the petition done.

Sorry. Missed this. Posting it means, technically, from a UK address, not Thailand. That is not, strictly speaking, legal, and the consulate would certainly expect to see a UK postmark, and a UK return address.

Two visas? Never thought about it, but two passports would allow for that. But then, you might as well fly there.