Non Imm Visa When You Have Thai Child

I wanted to check on other's experience/requirements to obtain non-imm multiple entry visa based on having a child. What is needed? Which country would be best/easiest to do this?

Would 1 year extensions/re-entry permit in-country be viable also based on having thai child? I'm not a fan of extensions, but if I can walk in with the birth certificate and fill out a form or two and be approved, I might consider this option.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the child living with you and you have legal custody or are legal father? You can not just walk in with a birth certificate and extend your stay. This would also require the normal marriage financials of 400k in bank account requirements.

To obtain a multi entry visa expect you would have to return to home country as they only seem to issue single entry in the local area.

Child is not even born yet. Just looking at my options.

That sucks that they would not grand an extension if name is on birth certificate. seems like the visa from home is an easier option.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

It is possible if your name is on the birth certificate as the father (make sure this gets done correctly, sometimes the hospital will make a "mistake".) For the visa you will have to show a minimum of 400,000 baht in bank, same for dependent child as for wife.

A letter from your GF will help. (I assume you are not married, otherwise you could apply on basis of wife.) The more money you can show in the bank the better, I think, even if it's not all in Thailand.

As has been pointed out before, multi-entry visas are much easier to get in your home country , this is true for tourist and business visas as well. I was able to get a one year multiple non-immigrant "O" visa in both Hanoi and Colombo on the basis of my son. However, in both cases I was able to show an employment contract requiring multiple visits to those countries. If you can't show a need for multiple visits the embassy/consulate may just give you a single entry.

You can get a 60 day extension with just the birth certificate, no need to show money. For a 1 year extension you must show the money.

Try for a multiple entry if that's what you want. If you don't get it, go for 1 year extension, and get multiple reentry permit. The cost of both options is about the same.

I got back from Penang a few days ago after receiving yet another 1 year multi entry non-o visa based on having a Thai child. Also showed 400k in my Thai bank book. I brought copy of my daughter's birth certificate, her mother's ID card copy, bank book. :)

I got back from Penang a few days ago after receiving yet another 1 year multi entry non-o visa based on having a Thai child. Also showed 400k in my Thai bank book. I brought copy of my daughter's birth certificate, her mother's ID card copy, bank book. smile.png

Thanks for your report. It is good to know that there is at least 1 consulate issueing multiple non-O's based on having a Thai child in the region.

I got back from Penang a few days ago after receiving yet another 1 year multi entry non-o visa based on having a Thai child. Also showed 400k in my Thai bank book. I brought copy of my daughter's birth certificate, her mother's ID card copy, bank book. smile.png

are you classed as the legal father ?

are you married to the mother ?

have sole custody ?

or have been to court and had a petition made ?

i'm not legal father i only have my name on the birth certificate, last year i obtained a 1 year multi-entry at hull but i have been in contact with them recently and they have changed the rules saying i can only get 3 months now,

i need to try at birmingham next or maybe penang may work ?

can you confirm your status please,

thanks

do you think bringing the mothers i.d card etc helped ?

would it help if all 3 of us went !

when you hand the application form in do they take a quick look and make any decisions ? for example if you were to make a mistakle at that stage would they say this is wrong and you adjust accordingly ?

does it make a different what visa you were on before ?

i'm a bit worried if i apply for a 1 year and they change it to 3 months the next day when i can't say no to it.

i tried extending 1 year but they said i had to goto court or marry the mother (i did show the 400k but it made no difference)

have sole custody ?

i'm not legal father i only have my name on the birth certificate, last year i obtained a 1 year multi-entry at hull but i have been in contact with them recently and they have changed the rules saying i can only get 3 months now,

thanks

are you classed as the legal father ? No, not legal father, just my name appearing once on the birth certificate.

are you married to the mother ? No

have sole custody ? No

or have been to court and had a petition made ? No

In the past I have always brought a copy of my gf's ( my daughter's mother ) ID card and actually think it's a requirement. I've just rechecked what documents I took:

1. Copy of daughter's birth cert.

2. Signed copy of gf ID card.

3. Copy of gf house registration book.

4. Copy of bank book ( updated before departure to Penang ) and original bank book.

I submitted all these documents to an agent so didn't visit the Consulate, which I haven't for years. May I suggest you contact banana guest house in Penang ( google their email address ) and they can confirm you situation and likely hood of receiving 1 year non O visa.

when you hand the application form in do they take a quick look and make any decisions ? for example if you were to make a mistakle at that stage would they say this is wrong and you adjust accordingly ?

i'm a bit worried if i apply for a 1 year and they change it to 3 months the next day when i can't say no to it.

i tried extending 1 year but they said i had to goto court or marry the mother (i did show the 400k but it made no difference)

Requirement for an extension of stay is tthat you are the legal fahter, for which being on the birth certifcate is not enough.

There is a third way, namely go to the amohur with mother and child and declare you are the father of the child. But for this the child has to be about 7 years old.

Thanks for your report. It is good to know that there is at least 1 consulate issueing multiple non-O's based on having a Thai child in the region.

Brunei and Singapore also.

thanks for

have sole custody ?

thanks

are you classed as the legal father ? No, not legal father, just my name appearing once on the birth certificate.

have sole custody ? No

In the past I have always brought a copy of my gf's ( my daughter's mother ) ID card and actually think it's a requirement. I've just rechecked what documents I took:

4. Copy of bank book ( updated before departure to Penang ) and original bank book.

I submitted all these documents to an agent so didn't visit the Consulate, which I haven't for years. May I suggest you contact banana guest house in Penang ( google their email address ) and they can confirm you situation and likely hood of receiving 1 year non O visa.

thanks for info.

i have sent them an e-mail ,

i was thinking of posting my passport back to the u.k at birmingham but chances are they may follow hulls example this year and stop issuing 1 year ones for people like me.

Does it help to use an agent ?

Do agents do anything other than just handing the application in ?

What i'm worried about is if I apply for a 1 year and they change it to a 3 month with-out telling me first.

How much extra did the agent charge you ?

I should just goto court and get that letter made money is tight now so not really possible - although waiting 7 years to get it done at an Ampur will probably cost us more getting new visas each time.

why is it at 7 years mario ? if my child can speak good thai/english can't we goto Ampur before 7 years and daughter can tell them we all live together etc .

Requirement for an extension of stay is tthat you are the legal fahter, for which being on the birth certifcate is not enough.

There is a third way, namely go to the amohur with mother and child and declare you are the father of the child. But for this the child has to be about 7 years old.

Just out of interest - what makes you a legal father then? Being married before birth???

to become legal father you have to get married to the mother either before or after the birth,

you can also goto court after the birth and get a document made - it's called a petition i think - you and mother have to swear your the father etc with witnesses etc - i was quotes 30,000 baht from a lawyer to do this and it takes some time.

you can also get sole custody,

there maybe other ways , mario is the best to advise.

i'm not sure the terminology it maybe legitimize not legalise ?

either way you need this to get a 1 year extension,

if not like me you have to keep getting new visas.

Just out of interest - what makes you a legal father then? Being married before birth???

i'm very curious to know this also. I thought the birth certificate made you the legal father. What are the other methods at birth to ensure you are the legal father?

dont waste your time keeping 400 000baht of worthless money. Just do the normal 2 entry tourist visa. Every entry has a 30day extention + an extra 60days after that 30day when you have a child. That's 5months per entry.

the 400,000 only has to be in the account for 1 day to get a statement printed at the time you apply i think ?

the tourist visas locally are only valid for 3 months so you can't get 5 months from each entry,

so i'm guessing that i can get 3 months from the first entry and another 4 or maybe 5 months from the second entry ?

can you extend an extension ? on the second entry of a tourist visa would i be able to add 30 days then a futher 60 days if i present a birth cert. ?

double tourist visa 2000 baht

1900 1 month ext

border run 1500 baht

1900 1 month ext

1900 2 month ext

7300 baht for 7 months

9200 baht for 8 months ?

if i can get 1 year type O again i think it's cheaper ?

5000 baht for the visa ?

fee for agent (2000 baht)?

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

2 month ext 1900 baht

17 months for 7,900 + 5000 + agent fee (2000 baht ?)

writing it down on paper look like it's best to just fork out for the legalisation if your staying in thailand more than a few years

1900 1 month ext

border run 1500 baht

1900 1 month ext

1900 2 month ext

7300 baht for 7 months

9200 baht for 8 months ?

5000 baht for the visa ?

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

2 month ext 1900 baht

writing it down on paper look like it's best to just fork out for the legalisation if your staying in thailand more than a few years

Yeah. The non-imm multiple entry visa is a bit more flexible and appropriate for long staying. The double entry visa is appropriate only when non-imm is not available. It's 2-3 times as expensive.

Btw, you should tack on costs for going into penang, guesthouse, and back to thailand.

Air asia has one-way flights for 2000 baht from swampy into penang if you book early enough and fly on certain days. or taking minibus for 300 baht from hat yai or 700 baht from phuket.

Passport photos 120 baht for 4 photos. Guesthouse in penang can be as little as 200 baht fan room, 400-600 baht if you want something a bit more private bath and air cond (star lodge). with an agent in penang, i'm assuming 2-3 days turnaround.

My method of sending passport overseas to get visa takes 10 -12 days. Using fedex for all the legs. Costs appx 9000-10,000 bath with visa fee.

I was asking about extensions within thailand to see if it was an option. Seems like they want you to be married to the mother on top of birth certificate naming you as father. And they also want to see 400k in acct? (unless i missed something). Dont see why birth certificate cannot be filed at the amphur filing office. It seems like having the kid alone is not enough to grant extension. Do you only have to be married at the time baby is born for the father to be properly recognized, or all the time after the birth?

And is this marriage requirement for father recognition thing only for immigration extentions of stay, or all thai govt/official offices?

You don't say what nationality you are, but typically, not all consulates will offer Thai child visa facility; and those that do will have their own criteria.

If you are inclined to travel to the UK, then I would highly recommend the Cardiff consulate. Very easy; very quick - 5 minutes, in and out [or they will issue by post] - application form, photo, birth certificate - translation not required - 125.00 [current fee]. One year, multi-entry, and effectively 15 months if you leave and re enter just before the visa expires - 17, if you then extend, though Chaeng Wattana ask for different criteria to the consulate.

It is possible if your name is on the birth certificate as the father (make sure this gets done correctly, sometimes the hospital will make a "mistake".) For the visa you will have to show a minimum of 400,000 baht in bank, same for dependent child as for wife.

A letter from your GF will help. (I assume you are not married, otherwise you could apply on basis of wife.) The more money you can show in the bank the better, I think, even if it's not all in Thailand.

As has been pointed out before, multi-entry visas are much easier to get in your home country , this is true for tourist and business visas as well. I was able to get a one year multiple non-immigrant "O" visa in both Hanoi and Colombo on the basis of my son. However, in both cases I was able to show an employment contract requiring multiple visits to those countries. If you can't show a need for multiple visits the embassy/consulate may just give you a single entry.

You can get a 60 day extension with just the birth certificate, no need to show money. For a 1 year extension you must show the money.

Try for a multiple entry if that's what you want. If you don't get it, go for 1 year extension, and get multiple reentry permit. The cost of both options is about the same.

Whether or not you need to show X in the bank all depends on the particular consulate.

You don't say what nationality you are, but typically, not all consulates will offer Thai child visa facility; and those that do will have their own criteria.

If you are inclined to travel to the UK, then I would highly recommend the Cardiff consulate. Very easy; very quick - 5 minutes, in and out [or they will issue by post] - application form, photo, birth certificate - translation not required - 125.00 [current fee]. One year, multi-entry, and effectively 15 months if you leave and re enter just before the visa expires - 17, if you then extend, though Chaeng Wattana ask for different criteria to the consulate.

hi,

i'm from the u.k and living in chiang mai, i would fly back to the u.k but air asia are stopping there flights soon and not worth me flying with someone else and spending too much.

last year i was in the u.k and applied at hull but this year they wont issue me one, i hope the others in the u.k wont follow them.

mines due for re-newal in may and i have already booked a cheap flight to KL but i'm unsure of what to do yet.

i'll wait and see what an agent charges either at KL or penang if not post to uk if they are still allowing it,

ideally i would like to post it to u.k whilst in thailand but i read that you can't have 2 visas at the same time ? maybe if i wait until after my current visa ends and i go on a 15 day visa exempt i could post it back then ?

other choice is to find a cheap lawyer and get the petition done.

1900 1 month ext

border run 1500 baht

1900 1 month ext

1900 2 month ext

7300 baht for 7 months

9200 baht for 8 months ?

5000 baht for the visa ?

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

2 month ext 1900 baht

Yeah. The non-imm multiple entry visa is a bit more flexible and appropriate for long staying. The double entry visa is appropriate only when non-imm is not available. It's 2-3 times as expensive.

Btw, you should tack on costs for going into penang, guesthouse, and back to thailand.

Air asia has one-way flights for 2000 baht from swampy into penang if you book early enough and fly on certain days. or taking minibus for 300 baht from hat yai or 700 baht from phuket.

Passport photos 120 baht for 4 photos. Guesthouse in penang can be as little as 200 baht fan room, 400-600 baht if you want something a bit more private bath and air cond (star lodge). with an agent in penang, i'm assuming 2-3 days turnaround.

My method of sending passport overseas to get visa takes 10 -12 days. Using fedex for all the legs. Costs appx 9000-10,000 bath with visa fee.

I was asking about extensions within thailand to see if it was an option. Seems like they want you to be married to the mother on top of birth certificate naming you as father. And they also want to see 400k in acct? (unless i missed something). Dont see why birth certificate cannot be filed at the amphur filing office. It seems like having the kid alone is not enough to grant extension. Do you only have to be married at the time baby is born for the father to be properly recognized, or all the time after the birth?

And is this marriage requirement for father recognition thing only for immigration extentions of stay, or all thai govt/official offices?

to legalise fatherhood :

you can get married before or after the baby is born and that's ok for the yearly extension along with money in the bank,

you can also goto court and get a petition made with a lawyer - you and your partner have to swear your the father etc , 20 to 30k from a lawyer and it takes time to complete - an immigration office gave me an example document.

you can also goto Ampur when child is 7 years old for a mini interview or something and get something done ?

can also get sole custody but i think that would be hardest option.

i think if you divorce afterwards your still classed as legal father.

i guess it depends how settled you are in thailand and if your staying here long term.

me, i'm not settled and toying with the idea of taking child to uk , i'm 41 years old and don't have enough money to provide good education etc.

time goes very fast when you have a newborn.

congratulations by the way .

Information on how to become a legal father can be found here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

You only need to do that if you are not married to the mother at the time of birth. if you are married to the mother, you are automatically the father.

If not, you have to make cetain steps to become the legal father.

Thai law knows 3 ways to legitimize a child and become the legal fahter. Note that you can also legitimize a child through your embassy, that would be recognized by your country but not in Thailand!

-

thanks for

have sole custody ?

thanks

have sole custody ? No

thanks for info.

i have sent them an e-mail ,

i was thinking of posting my passport back to the u.k at birmingham but chances are they may follow hulls example this year and stop issuing 1 year ones for people like me.

Does it help to use an agent ?

Do agents do anything other than just handing the application in ?

What i'm worried about is if I apply for a 1 year and they change it to a 3 month with-out telling me first.

How much extra did the agent charge you ?

I should just goto court and get that letter made money is tight now so not really possible - although waiting 7 years to get it done at an Ampur will probably cost us more getting new visas each time.

why is it at 7 years mario ? if my child can speak good thai/english can't we goto Ampur before 7 years and daughter can tell them we all live together etc .

Chris. I use an agent because I'm a lazy git :) can't be bothered running back and forth to the Consulate. I use a guy called Jim, 2 doors up from NJ book shop on Chulia Street, done a great job last 2 times. One year non-o cost me 550 Ringit ( app 5500 Baht ) I drove down this time and arrived around 11 am, left Penang at 4pm with visa in my hand. Hell of a drive though, 1350km in one day. From my experience I can't see you having an issue as long as you have the money in the bank, this is my second consecutive non-o from penang without any problems at all.

that sounds like a good service i'll try and find him if i go.

does he work for bananapenang.com you recomended earlier ?

i may try at KL first and if not successful head down to penang, should be able to pop to phuket for a holiday before returning home,

thanks again everyone,

regards,

chris

Information on how to become a legal father can be found here: http://www.thaivisa....ts-as-a-father/

You only need to do that if you are not married to the mother at the time of birth. if you are married to the mother, you are automatically the father.

If not, you have to make cetain steps to become the legal father.

Thai law knows 3 ways to legitimize a child and become the legal fahter. Note that you can also legitimize a child through your embassy, that would be recognized by your country but not in Thailand!

-

hi mario,

i have read that link, do you know where i can find a sample of that legitimisation document that an ampur can make for me ?

if we goto ampur do they talk to the child and ask questions etc ? like a mini interview ?

after the birth we went to ampur and tried to register as much as possible my names added to the blue house book but when i showed that to immigration they said i had to goto court and showed me the petition document .

if i could find a sample of the ampur document i could try and get one of those made.

other option is to try and find a cheap lawyer in chiang mai and get the petition made but i'd rather try at ampur first.

regards,

chris

[email protected]

dont waste your time keeping 400 000baht of worthless money. Just do the normal 2 entry tourist visa. Every entry has a 30day extention + an extra 60days after that 30day when you have a child. That's 5months per entry.

the 400,000 only has to be in the account for 1 day to get a statement printed at the time you apply i think ?

the tourist visas locally are only valid for 3 months so you can't get 5 months from each entry,

so i'm guessing that i can get 3 months from the first entry and another 4 or maybe 5 months from the second entry ?

can you extend an extension ? on the second entry of a tourist visa would i be able to add 30 days then a futher 60 days if i present a birth cert. ?

1900 1 month ext

border run 1500 baht

1900 1 month ext

1900 2 month ext

7300 baht for 7 months

9200 baht for 8 months ?

5000 baht for the visa ?

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

border run 1500 baht

2 month ext 1900 baht

Get married 20baht at local amphur, non im o marriage visa 3 months in penang either 5or7,000 been that long cant remember (sorry), then when visa expires just extend in country 1900bht, with proof of 400,000 in bank or 40,000 per month income, can be joint you+wifes income, i've been on same 3month non im now since 2006 and extended every year since no probs, if you want to leave country re-entry permit bkk 1000bht. hope this helps good luck m8y.

hi,

i'm from the u.k and living in chiang mai, i would fly back to the u.k but air asia are stopping there flights soon and not worth me flying with someone else and spending too much.

last year i was in the u.k and applied at hull but this year they wont issue me one, i hope the others in the u.k wont follow them.

mines due for re-newal in may and i have already booked a cheap flight to KL but i'm unsure of what to do yet.

i'll wait and see what an agent charges either at KL or penang if not post to uk if they are still allowing it,

ideally i would like to post it to u.k whilst in thailand but i read that you can't have 2 visas at the same time ? maybe if i wait until after my current visa ends and i go on a 15 day visa exempt i could post it back then ?

other choice is to find a cheap lawyer and get the petition done.

Why can't you get one at Hull? You can get one with a rental agreement if you live in Thailand - maybe you just need to change what you apply under(?).

I once sent my passport to Hull and back (via a UK address) and had 2 Visas running at the same time - both were actually opposite eachother on the passport because a page had been left empty before the first and had been used for stamps between. Actually ther first has expired, by almost 3 months (I was still on the last valid entry permit). The Immigration guy at Mae Sai stamped me out on one and back in 30 minutes later on the other - I was worried as I had been told they would simply cancel the second one, but they didn't. Can't say I'm apt to repeat that experience, but I actually had not the slightest problem in the end.