Non Imm Visa When You Have Thai Child

You don't say what nationality you are, but typically, not all consulates will offer Thai child visa facility; and those that do will have their own criteria.

If you are inclined to travel to the UK, then I would highly recommend the Cardiff consulate. Very easy; very quick - 5 minutes, in and out [or they will issue by post] - application form, photo, birth certificate - translation not required - 125.00 [current fee]. One year, multi-entry, and effectively 15 months if you leave and re enter just before the visa expires - 17, if you then extend, though Chaeng Wattana ask for different criteria to the consulate.

hi,

i'm from the u.k and living in chiang mai, i would fly back to the u.k but air asia are stopping there flights soon and not worth me flying with someone else and spending too much.

last year i was in the u.k and applied at hull but this year they wont issue me one, i hope the others in the u.k wont follow them.

mines due for re-newal in may and i have already booked a cheap flight to KL but i'm unsure of what to do yet.

i'll wait and see what an agent charges either at KL or penang if not post to uk if they are still allowing it,

ideally i would like to post it to u.k whilst in thailand but i read that you can't have 2 visas at the same time ? maybe if i wait until after my current visa ends and i go on a 15 day visa exempt i could post it back then ?

other choice is to find a cheap lawyer and get the petition done.

Sorry. Missed this. Posting it means, technically, from a UK address, not Thailand. That is not, strictly speaking, legal, and the consulate would certainly expect to see a UK postmark, and a UK return address.

Two visas? Never thought about it, but two passports would allow for that. But then, you might as well fly there.

yes posting passport back seems a risky idea, have to wait and see what to do,

if i can get 400k into my thai bank i'll try for a multi visa in KL if that fails i can fly back into thailand and get 30 days and then a 60 day extension.

thanks for the reply,

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes posting passport back seems a risky idea, have to wait and see what to do,

if i can get 400k into my thai bank i'll try for a multi visa in KL if that fails i can fly back into thailand and get 30 days and then a 60 day extension.

thanks for the reply,

KL only wants to see 100,000 in the bank, and it doesn't have to be a Thai bank.

The 400,000 in a Thai bank is for a 1 year extension of stay from Thai immigration.

So Friday I'm going to immigration to get my extension based on my marriage to a Thai. I'm just wondering, as I haven't had a marriage visa in many years, what will they require?

I have her ID card, House Registration, marriage certificate/paperwork, Thai birth certificates for our two children and all necessary copies, etc, etc. My money is earned outside of Thailand tho (US) so I'm wondering if I need to go to the US Embassy before going Friday to get the paperwork notarized stating I make X amount of dollars per month? Or can I wait for this until I go to whererever I'm going (Phnom Penh, Laos, or KL) for my 1 year MULTIPLE entry extension. I've had problems before with the embassy in Cambodia but I'm assuming they shouldn't have a problem to give me the one year extension if I have all the necessary paperwork. We've been married for almost 12 years and have two kids so I'm hoping it will be a simple matter!

I'm not sure what you plan to do. Are you applying for a new multiple non-O visa or are you planning to apply for a 1 year extension of stay from immigration?

With a statement from the US-embassy that you make at least 40,000 baht a month you cna get an extension of stay from immirgation and would not need to go to a neighbouring country to get a new visa.

Well, this wouldn't apply to me as 1) I'm not applying in the UK and 2) I'm legally married to a Thai and have been for many years.

As far as what I'm doing: I really do not want to leave the country at this time, if at all possible as I'm a quite busy at the moment. Since I have all my marriage paperwork, I'm looking to simply extend my 30-day visa exempt stay for another 60 days. In the next 3-4 weeks I will then have time to go out of the country for a few weeks for a bit of a holiday while at the same time applying for my non-imm O. Not sure of the order that everything needs to be done but it is my understanding, and I may be wrong, that I can not simply go to immigration when I don't have a visa and ask to change to a non-imm O. If I'm simply getting an extension, will they require the paper from the US Embassy? It's a bit of a haul for me to go there and thus, if I don't need it, I'd rather not go there to get it!

Edited by consigliere

• 3 weeks later...

There is no limit to the number of Visa Exempt entries.

You get 15 days if arriving by land.

30 days if arriving by air.

Close to doing this.

Is there any place on the internet where the Thai government confirms that i can do the 15 day/30days visas as many times as i want during the year? Just want to make sure my wife sees it on an official website so that she can 'manhandle' those little boys at immigration if they start acting racist towards me.

The guy under said 'in 6months' so how doe sit work, i have no idea if i am leaving for good in 6 or 8-9months.

Edited by thaiIand

I will attempt as always this year to get my Non O visa based on being a father of a Thai child in Cardiff but instead of sending a postal application go in person with my partner and child. If they see us together and check out our passports which indeed show that we are living and travelling as a family then hopefully if there is any flexability whatsoever regarding the new unmarried fathers rule I might get lucky.

However could somebody clarify if my understanding of the following is correct should things not work out and the tourist visa is my only option as it used to be in my pre father of a Thai child days.

My current non o expires on 28/9, so if I arrive back in Thailand say on 27/9 I will be good for another 3 months stay. I could then go to the local immigration office and get a further 60 day extention based on my Thai child? When this expired we could all take a holiday by air and I could get the 30 day visa on arrival at the end of which I could apply for another 60 day extention based on my Thai child?

We could all then return to the UK and plan our next move with regard to the new changes that no doubt will have taken place by then!

Am I correct on the above and if so how much does the 60 day ext cost?

Many thanks

Edited by brizzle

Contact Hull, they might issue if you apply with a letter from the mother, confirmin your relationship and living togehter as a family.

Call them first and if OK apply by mail.

Your other option is correct, any extension of stay cost 1,900 baht regardless of duration. But simply legitimize your child for smooth non-O and extensions of stay..

Geekfreaklover

I would believe, that they keep it same Vientiane Consular section, and there, they issue Non Immigrant O also, if you are not a legal father, only with birth certificate, house book-blue book, copy from ID-card from mother of your child.

I just received Non Immigrant O in Vientiane, as I wrote in this thread and I believe, Savannaketh will not be different.

Better call first and much better, bring your GF and child with you. Always helpful!