Malayasian Food

Traxster

I think that NONE exist in the area, but would be thrilled to be shown to be wrong!

This might be a good place for people to mention local places where there are at least some Singapore/Malaysia dishes on the menu.

I know about:

Secret Recipe restaurant, Central Pattaya Beach Mall, they have

curry seafood laksa

singapore laksa

mee rebus

nasi lemak

Over the years I have tried those dishes at a Bangkok location and found them all to be below average compared to what you would get in those countries. I reckon the recipes are the same at all locations as it is a chain.

Can others suggest OTHER local restaurants serving some Singapore/Malaysia dishes?

Edited by Jingthing

Correct me if I'm wrong but is Malaysian food not just normal food that muslims eat?

When I spent time in malaysia I was so bored with the food selections I couldn't wait to get back to LOS

Is Malay food anything like the dreadfull offerings from the Phillipines?

No, it isn't.

Next ...

I have a funny story related to Malaysian food. On my last trip to US I visited a pan-Asean restaurant and ordered Asam Laksa. It was excellent, as good as any I've had in Penang. Asam Laksa definitely isn't to all westerners taste. I was wondering why the staff and cooks were staring at me with admiration and affection while I ate it. Then I was told, they'd been open for years and I was the very first "round eyes" to order it! It seems they were expecting me to spit it out.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Is Malay food anything like the dreadfull offerings from the Phillipines?

No, it isn't.

Next ...

I have a funny story related to Malaysian food. On my last trip to US I visited a pan-Asean restaurant and ordered Asam Laksa. It was excellent, as good as any I've had in Penang. Asam Laksa definitely isn't to all westerners taste. I was wondering why the staff and cooks were staring at me with admiration and affection while I ate it. Then I was told, they'd been open for years and I was the very first "round eyes" to order it! It seems they were expecting me to spit it out.

Well done that man.

I don't like most Thai/Lao food but a Malay Curry at my fave place, made for me AND has my name, cos now farangs ask for it, is wonderful. licklips.gif

It's a bit odd.

Here we are in the biggest beach resort city in Thailand, a country that borders Malaysia, Cambodia (close) and Burma.

Yet, not one Malaysian restaurant, not one Cambodian restaurant, and not one Burmese restaurant.

I admit I am not missing the Cambodian one much ... but still, it's weird.

Edited by Jingthing

It's a bit odd.

Here we are in the biggest beach resort city in Thailand, a country that borders Malaysia, Cambodia (close) and Burma.

Yet, not one Malaysia restaurant, not one Cambodian restaurant, and not one Burmese restaurant.

I admit I am not missing the Cambodian one much ... but still, it's weird.

Must agree,

BUT, in Ubon we have a Malay guy, two restaurants that speaks excellent English and fixes Malay grub. licklips.gif

Malay food is very similar to Indonesian food.

I haven't been to either but I understood that there are now a couple of Indonesian restaurants: one in Jomtien near to JT's up and coming area (Soi 4/5 and 2nd Rd) and another thats in one of the smaller roads behind the Tesco Lotus on Sukh road.

I haven't been to either but I understood that there are now a couple of Indonesian restaurants: one in Jomtien near to JT's up and coming area (Soi 4/5 and 2nd Rd) and another thats in one of the smaller roads behind the Tesco Lotus on Sukh road.

Went to the one on the new 2'nd road by the market area, had the 15pc sample platter or whatever they call it, not impressed.

jingthing instead of posting a sarcastic "next....." if you have experience with Malay food can you post a few dishes you know of to give me/us an idea of what it is? Sounds like I stand corrected and would really like to know as I might be working in Kuala Lamphur soon. I like my "farang" food but also like to try any local food in the countries I visit.

jingthing instead of posting a sarcastic "next....." if you have experience with Malay food can you post a few dishes you know of to give me/us an idea of what it is? Sounds like I stand corrected and would really like to know as I might be working in Kuala Lamphur soon. I like my "farang" food but also like to try any local food in the countries I visit.

We are the weaker links... Goodbye!

If you are going to be working in KL then I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Plenty of options there for local Malay food, Indonesian and Thai dishes, plus Chinese and Indian dishes as well. In KL there should be no shortage of western food available either.

Re your previous point, I'm not sure that there is a typical style of Muslim food. Moslem food in the UK, Middle East, Indian sub-continent and Malay / Indo is very different.

For starters in KL I would try a few of the standard Nasi Lemak plates and sample some of the side-dishes that come with the rice. Nasi Padang places also allow you to sample from a wide range of dishes; Rendang is one of my personal favourites if you like a beef curry type dish. Massaman curries are very nice, plus the grilled fish is to die for (Ikan Bakar), I've not eaten better fish anywhere than near the coast in Malaysia / Indonesia. Noodle dishes are very popular but I'm not really a big fan, preferring rice (Nasi putih - plain white rice, nasi goreng - fried rice - nasi lemak - 'fatty' rice prepared with coconut milk.

If you are going to be there for a while then be prepared to put on some pounds licklips.gif

Food eaten in tents next to the road (warungs) is always better, spicier and a lot. lot, cheaper than restuarants and hotels. The food courts in the shopping malls are aslo a ood place to eat.

Personally I'd rank Malay / Indonesian style food as my second favourite type of meal (ahead of Indian but quite a way behind the vast array of Chinese style preparations).

Simon

Went to the one on the new 2'nd road by the market area, had the 15pc sample platter or whatever they call it, not impressed.

If it was the Indonesian place then it was probably called: Rijsttafel

Not just Malay food in Malaysia, mate.

Here's a start for you. If you do a little research you're in for some fantastic eating.

http://www.malaysianfood.net/