Kawasaki Versys 2012 Purchase

Polanskiman

I had the bike for 3 weeks now. I must say it's really a pleasure to ride the V. I have however been experience weird things since yesterday:

1. Sometimes while downshifting, the gear pedal sometimes does not come to its original position and I need to slightly press the pedal for it to come up.

2. Other times while on 1st gear and rolling, I shit to 2nd gear but instead it goes to neutral.

I will bring the bike to service but I wanted to know if any of you had experienced this before or perhaps is it normal?

Ive had the sticky shifter problem before, yes. Kawasaki fixed it. First try they adjusted some screws down there. The next day it was much worse. Then they replaced the whole shifter part with a new one - now its just fine.

Went to Rama 9. Explained my problem. They added some oil on the shifter then tested the bike and said it's all good. I then tested the bike myself but the pb was still there (at least what I think the pb is). They adjusted the clutch cable and 2 more guys tested my bike. They said it's all good. I tried it, still I could feel the sticky pedal (upshifting and downshifting). They asked me to try the test drive bike which I did and didn't notice anything wrong with it. They asked to try my bike again but this time with some technician as passenger. He concluded that I was the one who didn't know how to drive huh.png and that I should come back at 1000 km for the normal service. He asked me a bunch of questions to assess if my driving skills such as: did you own a bike before, how long have you been driving a bike, what bike, here in Thailand etc etc. Anyways not sure what is wrong or to believe... me? the bike ?

Edited by Polanskiman

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had the bike for 3 weeks now. I must say it's really a pleasure to ride the V. I have however been experience weird things since yesterday:

1. Sometimes while downshifting, the gear pedal sometimes does not come to its original position and I need to slightly press the pedal for it to come up.

2. Other times while on 1st gear and rolling, I shit to 2nd gear but instead it goes to neutral.

I will bring the bike to service but I wanted to know if any of you had experienced this before or perhaps is it normal?

Ive had the sticky shifter problem before, yes. Kawasaki fixed it. First try they adjusted some screws down there. The next day it was much worse. Then they replaced the whole shifter part with a new one - now its just fine.

Went to Rama 9. Explained my problem. They added some oil on the shifter then tested the bike and said it's all good. I then tested the bike myself but the pb was still there (at least what I think the pb is). They adjusted the clutch cable and 2 more guys tested my bike. They said it's all good. I tried it, still I could feel the sticky pedal (upshifting and downshifting). They asked me to try the test drive bike which I did and didn't notice anything wrong with it. They asked to try my bike again but this time with some technician as passenger. He concluded that I was the one who didn't know how to drive huh.png and that I should come back at 1000 km for the normal service. He asked me a bunch of questions to assess if my driving skills such as: did you own a bike before, how long have you been driving a bike, what bike, here in Thailand etc etc. Anyways not sure what is wrong or to believe... me? the bike ?

i would get more miles on it ,mine was a bit like that and i brought it in ,they adjusted it some and i got used to it and it felt perfect

then i went in for the full service a few days later and when i got it back it feels a little tight and sticky again

i think it just needs more miles clocked up

left it in today to get the pirellis on ,the dunlop sportmax are ok ,but after trying the pirellis ,you can feel they are better /softer

much more grip ,definately worth a bit extra for the confidence of sticking to the road better

i would get more miles on it ,mine was a bit like that and i brought it in ,they adjusted it some and i got used to it and it felt perfect

then i went in for the full service a few days later and when i got it back it feels a little tight and sticky again

i think it just needs more miles clocked up

left it in today to get the pirellis on ,the dunlop sportmax are ok ,but after trying the pirellis ,you can feel they are better /softer

much more grip ,definately worth a bit extra for the confidence of sticking to the road better

Thanks for the advise, will try not to focus too much on this, although it could be dangerous in emergency situations. Anyways thanks.

Edited by Polanskiman

take it to the car wash ,60 thb for a scooter /80 thb for a big bike

for that price they put it up on stands ,and do the works ,leave it shinier looking than brand new

for 140 they will do all the above and add a coat of wax

i used to do it myself until i realised how cheap it was to get it done there

Well if you can still ride it just wait for it to get worse. If it is the same problem I had, it *will* get worse... mine didnt shift right for a while but I could still ride it and didnt bother to go to the shop for a while, thinking it might fix itself. Put some sonax on it and so on. When i finally had it checked out Kawa CM did something to it and then soon thereafter the shifter was hanging really low and it was very hard to get any gear to engage - then they replaced the whole part.

Guys, I changed the oil today for a mineral oil since I'm following the hard brake in method. I was advised to put the Shell Advance AX5 4T, which I did, but after poring the oil I realized it was 15W40. Is that ok?

Also, I think I noticed the engine is reving more after the oil change. Am I hallucinating or is it normal?

take it to the car wash ,60 thb for a scooter /80 thb for a big bike

for that price they put it up on stands ,and do the works ,leave it shinier looking than brand new

for 140 they will do all the above and add a coat of wax

i used to do it myself until i realised how cheap it was to get it done there

I like to clean my own bike and check all components for security while i'm down on my knees, but at 140Baht for a full wash and wax during this heat, i might be tempted to take the same route and check the bike over once home.

Well if you can still ride it just wait for it to get worse. If it is the same problem I had, it *will* get worse... mine didnt shift right for a while but I could still ride it and didnt bother to go to the shop for a while, thinking it might fix itself. Put some sonax on it and so on. When i finally had it checked out Kawa CM did something to it and then soon thereafter the shifter was hanging really low and it was very hard to get any gear to engage - then they replaced the whole part.

Good advice- as the saying goes, "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway". Ride On! Tony

Grrrr, i'm starting to get a little annoyed with this message 'You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text'

Just be careful, if i remember correctly. the Kawasaki zx6r (B1H 2003-2004) had an issue with it's selector, yes it’s a different bike, but Kawasaki Europe and US dismissed warranty claims and blamed the fault on the rider's incompetence when changing gears..... :(

Kawasaki Thailand seem to be fine and replace almost anything that breaks within warranty, but i'd continue to harass Rama 9 if the problem doesn't cure it's self after the first service.

Hi. I m a Versys rider in Kuala Lumpur. I wish to get a pair of Kawasaki genuine hand guard for my Versys. Kawasaki Malaysia did not bring in the parts. So, anyone can advise where to get these in Thailand & ship to Kuala Lumpur? Thanks.

Hi, I ordered mine from the USA. A little pricey with shipping and the 1100 baht import tax but they are really nice and fit perfectly. Had mine painted the same black color as my tank. Kawasaki in Bangkok can order them for you but it takes about a month to get them, they also order them from the USA.

Edited by commande

• 4 weeks later...

In general I'd recommend avoiding most service station car washes- often their staff and facilities are not very high quality.

Better to take your bike to a dedicated car wash that specializes in washing and detailing bikes.

If the first thing they do is pull out a pressure washer you know they don't know how to wash a bike. Just say no thanks and move on to the next place.

I know a number of places that know how to wash bikes in my neighborhood, but sorry, can't make any recommendations for the Sathorn/Silom area...

In general I'd recommend avoiding most service station car washes- often their staff and facilities are not very high quality.

Better to take your bike to a dedicated car wash that specializes in washing and detailing bikes.

If the first thing they do is pull out a pressure washer you know they don't know how to wash a bike. Just say no thanks and move on to the next place.

I know a number of places that know how to wash bikes in my neighborhood, but sorry, can't make any recommendations for the Sathorn/Silom area...

I found a shop after the expressway entrance on Rama 4. It cost me 120 baht. I am not satisfied by the service. At end they put this dam wax as if it was some sort of miracle product but in fact it makes the bike looks worse as they don't wipe it up properly. Guess my quest is still ongoing !!

How about letting any of the shops near you clean all the hard to reach places with nothing more than tap pressure, then spend 20 mins cleaning, polishing and waxing the paint at home yourself?

• Like 1

How about letting any of the shops near you clean all the hard to reach places with nothing more than tap pressure, then spend 20 mins cleaning, polishing and waxing the paint at home yourself?

Well I got the lesson. I will do it by myself from now on. I just never cleaned a motorcycle before so I didn't want to do it the first time.

The 2012 Versy is what I want to get and my nearest dealer is Nakon Sawan, just wondered if anyone has bought one from there.

I don't expect any deals but would I be better off going to Bangkok or Chiang Mai to get the bike, as in waiting times etc.

Thanks for any input, K.

The 2012 Versy is what I want to get and my nearest dealer is Nakon Sawan, just wondered if anyone has bought one from there.

I don't expect any deals but would I be better off going to Bangkok or Chiang Mai to get the bike, as in waiting times etc.

Thanks for any input, K.

I've heard good things about the dealer in Nakhon Sawan but have no personal experience with them. TGIF and Let the Good Times ROLL! Tony :)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

No idea what kind of riding you like to do- the stock tires are pretty hard and easy to slide, so take it nice and easy when they are cold and consider upgrading to better rubber if you like to push the pace.Stock brakes aren't the greatest either. Brakes can be greatly improved with better pads. Personally I like EBC HH Sintered pads- makes a world of difference!There are some very strong locally made crash bars available for the Versys-

Hi Tony,Thanks. What tires do you recommend? I will mainly use the bike for the city and tour around when the opportunity comes. No off tracks.Any idea on the price of the tires as well as the pads?Cheers
It sounds like you're going to spend most of your time on pavement and that you don't need sport tires, yes?In that case I'd recommend you have a look at the Bridgestone Battlax BT021 or new BT023 sport-touring tires. They're a good value here in Thailand at about 9000 Baht a set and offer a good balance of grip, feedback and longevity. Some other tires that I really like are the Pirelli Scorpion Trails- they're the swiss army knife of motorcycle tires- they can do just about anything except mud and sand. They're a bit more expensive, but IMO if you like to be able to take your Versys everywhere the Scorpion Trails can't be beat!EBC HH Sintered Pads are available in the ThaiVisa classifieds: http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/ebc-hh-sintered-front-brake-pads-for-kawasaki-ninja-650r-versys-and-er6n-144530.htmlRide On!Tony

Hi tony I saw on another forum you have fitted a switch to turn your abs on or off on your versys. I was hoping you could send a detailed description of the process. I have a er6n and have asked this question on my own thread er6n disable abs? I assume it would be a similar process. Many thanks

No idea what kind of riding you like to do- the stock tires are pretty hard and easy to slide, so take it nice and easy when they are cold and consider upgrading to better rubber if you like to push the pace.Stock brakes aren't the greatest either. Brakes can be greatly improved with better pads. Personally I like EBC HH Sintered pads- makes a world of difference!There are some very strong locally made crash bars available for the Versys-

Hi Tony,Thanks. What tires do you recommend? I will mainly use the bike for the city and tour around when the opportunity comes. No off tracks.Any idea on the price of the tires as well as the pads?Cheers
It sounds like you're going to spend most of your time on pavement and that you don't need sport tires, yes?In that case I'd recommend you have a look at the Bridgestone Battlax BT021 or new BT023 sport-touring tires. They're a good value here in Thailand at about 9000 Baht a set and offer a good balance of grip, feedback and longevity. Some other tires that I really like are the Pirelli Scorpion Trails- they're the swiss army knife of motorcycle tires- they can do just about anything except mud and sand. They're a bit more expensive, but IMO if you like to be able to take your Versys everywhere the Scorpion Trails can't be beat!EBC HH Sintered Pads are available in the ThaiVisa classifieds: http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/ebc-hh-sintered-front-brake-pads-for-kawasaki-ninja-650r-versys-and-er6n-144530.htmlRide On!Tony

Hi tony I saw on another forum you have fitted a switch to turn your abs on or off on your versys. I was hoping you could send a detailed description of the process. I have a er6n and have asked this question on my own thread er6n disable abs? I assume it would be a similar process. Many thanks

Do you mean this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17373452 Have you noticed the date, Feb 2012.

I don't know where Tony has got to, have read stuff he has put on other threads, maybe someone will PM you his whereabouts.

Thanks Kwasaki. Yer I noticed the date, was doing a search on this and came across that thread. Just need a instruction on how to do it:)

I would guess It's pretty basic electrical work once you have purchased a handle bar switch.

Once you know which of the compolents below to attach the switch wires.

Tried to download the diagram, dam thing won't go, maybe someone else can help you out.

12-32 BRAKES

Anti-Lock Brake System (Equipped Models)

ABS System Wiring Diagram

1. Ignition Switch

2. ABS Hydraulic Unit

3. ABS Self-diagnosis Terminal

4. ABS Kawasaki Self-diagnosis System Connector

5. Front Wheel Rotation Sensor

6. Rear Wheel Rotation Sensor

7. ABS Solenoid Valve Relay Fuse 25 A

8. ABS Motor Relay Fuse 30 A

9. Frame Ground

10. Meter Unit

11. Front Brake Switch