Expired Drivers Licence

Johnice

I have an expired Thai drivers licence which was issued in Chon Buri. I unfortunately allowed it to expire after I sold my car which I never used. Stupid I know. My original licence from RSA was stolen along with my bike. How can I renew the Thai drivers licence and where? I have just recently(6 Months) moved to Chiang Mai. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Make a copy of your old drivers License and bring the old one.

Make a health test for drivers license at any hospital and bring the paper.

Bring a copy of your passport, visum, and work permit if you have one.

With this go to the office (big area) on the Hang Dong Road, almost opposite of the Lanna International School.

When you enter the main building go upstairs, on your left. Then go to information there. They speak English (or the lady that helped me that time spoke English). They can help/advice you further.

When your license, if I understood well, is not expired longer than a year, you can renew it without doing another exam.

Good luck! :)

With this go to the office (big area) on the Hang Dong Road, almost opposite of the Lanna International School.

When you enter the main building go upstairs, on your left. Then go to information there. They speak English (or the lady that helped me that time spoke English). They can help/advice you further.

When your license, if I understood well, is not expired longer than a year, you can renew it without doing another exam.

Good luck! smile.png

Thanks for your prompt responce, unfortunately my licence has expired for almost two years so, i suppose I'l have to do a re-test? Does one go to the same office?

Good luck! smile.png

Thanks for your prompt responce, unfortunately my licence has expired for almost two years so, i suppose I'l have to do a re-test? Does one go to the same office?

Yes I think you'll have to. But it will be as easy as the last time. Don't forget the proper paperwork. smile.png

I can't say what the official policy is but I can relate my own experience. My one year driver's license was out of date by almost five years when I went down to renew it. I had expected to be starting over from scratch, but in fact all they wanted to see was proof of residence and I had to pay some money. The money I paid was whatever it normally costs to renew a license. I'm not sure you'll fare as well, but if I were you I'd treat it as a normal license renewal and just bring whatever forms and monies they're typically asking for. Some agencies here treat you as a criminal , no mater how saintly you are. Others are just happy to get you registered and in the system and colllect their fee. The latter view is my sense of the the Driver Licensing Department.

Isn't there also (or in the past) a requirement to visit immigration first (before going the licensing office) to get a letter of residency? Or do I have that confused with buying a vehicle?

Yes you do have to...

To everyone who replied, I thank you for your input.

I'll just bite the bullit and redo the licence. If they accept the fact that i had one originally and make it slightly easier, that will be a bonus. My fault for letting it expireangry.png