1yr Non Immi O

Hi,does anyone knows how many 1yr Non O visa can u get,i remember i read a while ago that after 3yrs they dont give u a 1yr Non O Visa anymore,because they say u can ask for residency status,is that true?

I don't believe there is a set limit.

I assume you are applying for your visa on the grounds of supporting a Thai wife / child. It is possible that the embassy / consulate may believe that you are trying to circumvent the financial requirements for a 1 year extension by applying for multiple visas (although I'm not aware of anyone being refused on those grounds).

If you can meet the financial requirements for a 12 month extension why not go for that, no more visa runs, you need never leave the Kingdom ever again.

They have been known to refuse multiple entries for the reason that you state, ie. avoiding the financial obligations of a support issued Non Imm O.

yes ,i had problems to extend my stay at the immigration,because i refused to to transfer my pension from german bank to a thai bank,i have Non O because i have a child with a thai lady with certificate from a Thai court that im the father and have the custody,anyways those visa trips dont bother me,since AirAsia is on the market i fly every 3months to Malaysia,the reason why i dont want to transfer my pension to Thailand is that,that it cost alot of money and the thaibanks never book the money at the same date,but at the date when the exchange rate is good for them,i tried that out 2years ago,my visa expires in Feb,so i wonder if i will get a new one

Hmm,thanks but i prefer Kl without an agent,if there is a law what says i cant get a fourth Non O than i will accept that and find another solution,ok let me correct my question,is there a law that says u cant get a fourth 1yr Non O visa without tranfering ur pension to a thai bank?

i dont want to transfer my pension to Thailand is that,that it cost alot of money and the thaibanks never book the money at the same date,but at the date when the exchange rate is good for them

I had a similar experience some years ago with a remittance to a Thai Farmers Bank account (have boycotted that bank ever since). All other times, my remittances got credited to the Thai bank account (am using Bangkok Bank and Bank of Ayudhya) on the same day the amount is debited to my Swiss bank account or at the latest on the following working day.

One thing to look out for is that your Thai bank should be a correspondent bank of your home (German) bank for the currency (EUR) you transfer. In other words, your German bank should have an EUR account with your Thai bank. If this is not the case, the remittance gets routed through an intermediary bank and this may delay the transaction and also incur additional bank fees.

But talking about pensions, I always understood that the requirement is for funds in a Thai bank OR proof of income (in your case an embassy letter confirming your pension amount) OR a combination of both. In the case of a pension, I thought you could leave the money in your account abroad and remit to Thailand, or withdraw in Thailand from ATM machines, whatever you need at a time. Wait for Lopburi or somebody to confirm if this is so.

Hmm,thanks but i prefer Kl without an agent,if there is a law what says i cant get a fourth Non O than i will accept that and find another solution,ok let me correct my question,is there a law that says u cant get a fourth 1yr Non O visa without tranfering ur pension to a thai bank?

I transfer money from my US account to my Bangkok Bank account on a regular basis and the money is here within 14 hours vis SWIFT. There should be no holding of money by banks here anymore.

As for using a visa agent it is normally cheaper than taking taxi two times if you use Penang. I do not believe you will have any problem getting a multi entry O visa in Penang be it number one or number twenty-one but it is a problem as some Consulates and not having to make those visa runs can be nice as we get older. For a retirement extension of stay it is one visit to immigration each year and I would think well worth the cost of a Swift transfer or two.

As for "laws" there are laws and there are rules. The rules do change fairly often and the laws are broad enough to allow that change. It is usually not a very productive idea to start citing laws in a foreign country.

I thought you could leave the money in your account abroad and remit to Thailand, or withdraw in Thailand from ATM machines, whatever you need at a time. Wait for Lopburi or somebody to confirm if this is so.

Money should be in a Thai bank account at the time of extension of stay but as you said it can be a combination of money and pension as certified by Embassy. So for most people there is no need for that much in a bank account here if they have a pension of close to 65k or more.

i dont want to transfer my pension to Thailand is that,that it cost alot of money and the thaibanks never book the money at the same date,but at the date when the exchange rate is good for them

I had a similar experience some years ago with a remittance to a Thai Farmers Bank account (have boycotted that bank ever since). All other times, my remittances got credited to the Thai bank account (am using Bangkok Bank and Bank of Ayudhya) on the same day the amount is debited to my Swiss bank account or at the latest on the following working day.

One thing to look out for is that your Thai bank should be a correspondent bank of your home (German) bank for the currency (EUR) you transfer. In other words, your German bank should have an EUR account with your Thai bank. If this is not the case, the remittance gets routed through an intermediary bank and this may delay the transaction and also incur additional bank fees.

But talking about pensions, I always understood that the requirement is for funds in a Thai bank OR proof of income (in your case an embassy letter confirming your pension amount) OR a combination of both. In the case of a pension, I thought you could leave the money in your account abroad and remit to Thailand, or withdraw in Thailand from ATM machines, whatever you need at a time. Wait for Lopburi or somebody to confirm if this is so.

Hi Maestro,i thought so too.but the embassy letter was not enough,and actually i didnt care much,every 3 months i take my family toMalaysia,but like i said now i wonder a bit if i get a new Visa

I transfer money from my US account to my Bangkok Bank account on a regular basis and the money is here within 14 hours vis SWIFT. There should be no holding of money by banks here anymore.

As for using a visa agent it is normally cheaper than taking taxi two times if you use Penang. I do not believe you will have any problem getting a multi entry O visa in Penang be it number one or number twenty-one but it is a problem as some Consulates and not having to make those visa runs can be nice as we get older. For a retirement extension of stay it is one visit to immigration each year and I would think well worth the cost of a Swift transfer or two.

As for "laws" there are laws and there are rules. The rules do change fairly often and the laws are broad enough to allow that change. It is usually not a very productive idea to start citing laws in a foreign country.

Im not citing anything like i said if there is alaw or rule then i accept it,no problem with that,but i just dont know if there is a law or rule for it,anyways Lopburi that swift stuff sounds interesting,thank u

I know you have not taken the law route yet just wanted you to know that it is often not very productive (even when it works) and that you do have a very good option by using a couple of wire transfers each year of having extensions of stays - you can always obtain a re-entry permit and travel if you like the trips but would not be obligated to do it on specific dates. Wire transfer does work well these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but after reading the above I just slightly more confused that when I began, although my situation may not have been addressed here to begin with, but am not sure.

I got a Non-Imm "O" visa about 90 days ago in Penang. The date stamped in my passport is Dec. 27, 2005, which is exactly 90 days from my re-entry into Thailand. I qualified for this "O" because I now have a son born to my Thai girlfriend.

So on or before this date my options are what?

- I go to an immegration office for an extension? How long is it good for? Not a year as I have read earlier, right?

- What about my having to prove my financial standing. Will I need to when I go in this time or is that only if I am looking for a different long term extension? Could I get it if I qualified or does this not even apply to what I need to do next?

- Make a visa run and return with a new 90 day stamp, which will continue to require me to go to the border at this interval for as long as I carry a Non-Imm"O" (dependant) visa.

- Last I have multiple entry visa, but is that the same as paying for multiple visas, like buying three at once and not having to return to the Penang imbassy for three years like I had done in the past with 60 day tourist visas.

It is very inconvienent for me to make a visa run on the 27th this month due to family holiday arrangements.

So, what should I expect from the guys down at Suan Pluh immegration when I arrive, other that the 1,900B fee.

*Sorry to be so dense - perhaps this is not even the right place to ask about all this...

Thanks

1. You do not qualify for an extension of stay (support Thai wife or support [with court order] Thai child).

2. Financial standing is NA because you do not qualify per one above.

3. If you intend to stay here you will have to make 90 day border crossings and obtain a new visa every 15 months or so.

4. You do not have the option to buy multi/multi visas - it is one at a time and very limited (Penang is the only local Consulate where it is normally available).

5. You might get a few days extension for your 1,900 baht; or you might not.

Long term options are marriage for support Thai wife extensions.

Court order that you take care of child or child says this after age 7 for support Thai child extensions.

Investment of 3 million baht in specified condo or securities.

Age 50 or over retirement with financial 65k/800k requirements.

Yes. This is the right place to ask questions like this.

- Last I have multiple entry visa, but is that the same as paying for multiple visas, like buying three at once and not having to return to the Penang imbassy for three years like I had done in the past with 60 day tourist visas.

It is very inconvienent for me to make a visa run on the 27th this month due to family holiday arrangements. 

A Non Immigrant Multiple entry visa is valid 1 year (normally) from date of issue.........it is what it says a visa that allows multiple entries into the country, you could if you wished go out and back in everyday and nothing (probably) would ever be said.

The tourist visa you had before was not multiple entry (there is no such thing) but rather a visa that was issued with either 1 ,2 or 3 entries attached to it............the validity of such a visa in which to use the entries is normally 3 months in the case of a single entry and 6 months in the case of 2 or 3 entries...................these entries can be used at any time during the 3/6 months i.e you could use all entries within a week of entering Thailand if you wanted to do a bit of travelling to neighbouring countries but once they are used thats it, the visa itself may have validity left upon it but is effectively useless as the entries have been used up.

If the 27th is inconvienient go to the border a week before.......ok you/ll have had to do the run a week early but you can't have it all ways. :o

1.  You do not qualify for an extension of stay (support Thai wife or support [with court order] Thai child).

2.  Financial standing is NA because you do not qualify per one above.

3.  If you intend to stay here you will have to make 90 day border crossings and obtain a new visa every 15 months or so.

4.  You do not have the option to buy multi/multi visas - it is one at a time and very limited (Penang is the only local Consulate where it is normally available).

5.  You might get a few days extension for your 1,900 baht; or you might not.

Long term options are marriage for support Thai wife extensions.

Court order that you take care of child or child says this after age 7 for support Thai child extensions.

Investment of 3 million baht in specified condo or securities.

Age 50 or over retirement with financial 65k/800k requirements.

Yes.  This is the right place to ask questions like this.

Thanks for the straight scoop.

Maybe I forgot to mention that I am still married to a Thai woman who now lives in the US (not the mother of my son).

Only now, because of my son and comitment to my new gf I have finally hired a lawyer and the divorce is underway and set to be finished by no later than March.

So do I have to wait to re-marry in order to get a year extension although I support of our son and he has my last name? And if I'm not married by the time this visa expires might they deny me a next multiple Non-Imm 'O' as I've been reading?

Also if you get 30 days when extending a 60 day tourist visa, you'd think a similar extension of stay would apply to each 90 day period of the 'O' type visa - right? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

1. Yes you will have to marry to have the child become your responsibility as said before to obtain an extension of stay for other than investment.

2. Wishful thinking. The tourist visa is intended to allow a 30 day extension. The non immigrant is not.

3. I do not believe you would have a problem getting another multi entry O visa from Penang unless there is a change made.

Yes.  This is the right place to ask questions like this.

Probably not if this if a typical example of a response. Doesn't answer the questioner and is factually incorrect.

:D

I can see you will be popular.

Thanks for your input anyway. Welcome to thaivisa.com

:o

Hewhonose.................i/m sure if you ever get to Thailand we can discuss this further.......................pm me if need be :D

Edit apols....Hewhonose after reading all your posts's ( :D )................i was wrong , i had you marked down for someone with one quota of inteligence (sp?)

Edited by thaiflyer1

US citizens can go to the US Embassy and get a letter verifying their income for Thai immigration. Those of us who have done that know that the US Embassy checks nothing and they take your word for the amount of income you put on the paper. I did that for my first retirement visa. The second visa I put the 800,000 in my Thai bank mainly because I was about to buy a new car. This time I went back to the US Embassy and got another letter. I wire transfer money a couple times a year as needed. My old bank book was full so I got a new book. That copy of the new book was not acceptable to immigration. I had to go home to get my old book and make copies of every page in it as well as the new book. The lady at Pattaya immigration took a keen interest in how much had passed through my Thai bank for the year. I am now married to a Thai lady but went ahead with the regular retirement visa because it is simpler and I meet the income requirements.

The question is whether Thai immigration is wanting to see if you actually spend the 800,000 baht per year. Last year I spent more than that because of some rather large purchases. This year I won't spend anywhere near that much.

I believe they are more interested in seeing some input from your foreign sources to confirm you are not working here rather than expecting to see any fixed about of transfers. That is why they would want to see the old passbook as well as the new one.

:D I have retire visa all funds in the states,no problem. :o:D

1.  You do not qualify for an extension of stay (support Thai wife or support [with court order] Thai child).

lopburi3, with all due respect for your knowledge and experience, I do believe having a Thai citizen dependent child entitles one to a non-immigrant O visa and extension(s) of stay. My belief is supported by the information on the Royal Thai Consulate of Los Angeles website (link: http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-non-im-o.htm ) and on the Thai Immigration Bureau website (link: http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=service ).

Both websites state that with a birth certificate indicating one is the child's father, one is entitled to the non-O and the extensions of stay; please correct me if you have information to the contrary as this is the route I was planning to take when my 60 day multiple entry tourist visa expires.

:D I have retire visa all funds in the states,no problem. :o:D

90 day runs ?

lopburi3, with all due respect for your knowledge and experience, I do believe having a Thai citizen dependent child entitles one to a non-immigrant O visa and extension(s) of stay. My belief is supported by the information on the Royal Thai Consulate of Los Angeles website (link: http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-non-im-o.htm ) and on the Thai Immigration Bureau website (link: http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=service ).

Both websites state that with a birth certificate indicating one is the child's father, one is entitled to the non-O and the extensions of stay; please correct me if you have information to the contrary as this is the route I was planning to take when my 60 day multiple entry tourist visa expires.

Don't fell bad about questioning as I am as human as anyone else and make the same mistakes. And I do want to get it right so if I am wrong really appreciate knowing about it. But the best information that I have is that is you will not receive such an extension of stay with only a birth certificate. This is based on reporting in this forum of those that have tried. But if anyone has success please inform us so that we can get the word out.

The LA site you mentioned the key word is may when speaking of extension of stay. You will not that the world will is not used as it was in the previous paragraph on getting a 90 day stay stamp.

As for Immigration the key paragraph is #8 "The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents if necessary." In the case of this type of extension of stay they have required proof that you have a legal requirement to support the child rather than using this as a means to stay in Thailand.