Sex Education And The Age-Old Issue Of Teen Pregnancy: Thai Editorial

webfact

In my tiny American hometown we enjoy our history, though it only goes back to about 1760. We have a Historical Society and I used to run it. My second in command was a professor at Brown University, a fairly prestigious University and as part of her interaction with both her studies and the Historical Society she researched unwed pregnancies for a time period of around 1860-1880.

What she found was interesting: The rate of unwed pregnancies as a percentage of population was essentially the same in 1860-1880 as it was during 1970-1990.

In reality I believe that if a mother/father does not want their child to become an unintentional mother/father two things must occur.

First, parents of daughters should tell their daughter simply that they are the gatekeeper. That parents do not do this is to not empower the daughter. In many cases it is the male that makes the decision, and the female, who has not been told she is the gatekeeper, doesn't know how to prevent the act, even if prevention is as simple as saying: "I say when, where, and right now I say I'm not ready right now."

Secondly parents need to tell their sons that they will become economically responsible for the next 20 years if the son fathers a child, and make it clear that the parents will enforce this even if the Thai legal system does not.

Do these two things with your sons/daughters and about 80% of unwanted pregnancies will cease.

Although, I think you have a point...good luck with the second part!

In my tiny American hometown we enjoy our history, though it only goes back to about 1760. We have a Historical Society and I used to run it. My second in command was a professor at Brown University, a fairly prestigious University and as part of her interaction with both her studies and the Historical Society she researched unwed pregnancies for a time period of around 1860-1880.

What she found was interesting: The rate of unwed pregnancies as a percentage of population was essentially the same in 1860-1880 as it was during 1970-1990.

In reality I believe that if a mother/father does not want their child to become an unintentional mother/father two things must occur.

First, parents of daughters should tell their daughter simply that they are the gatekeeper. That parents do not do this is to not empower the daughter. In many cases it is the male that makes the decision, and the female, who has not been told she is the gatekeeper, doesn't know how to prevent the act, even if prevention is as simple as saying: "I say when, where, and right now I say I'm not ready right now."

Secondly parents need to tell their sons that they will become economically responsible for the next 20 years if the son fathers a child, and make it clear that the parents will enforce this even if the Thai legal system does not.

Do these two things with your sons/daughters and about 80% of unwanted pregnancies will cease.

Although, I think you have a point...good luck with the second part!

It is true that parents make a huge difference (normal, as that is what parenting is about). But while every parent taking care of their children is their responsibility on the issue, society's responsibility is educate, educate, educate and make contraception available...

JSFlynn points out that the rate hasn't changed in the US. The US has the highest rate among industrialized countries because they fail over all on both counts. For the non-Americans here on TV, take a moment to listen to the comments from the Republicans during the last 2 weeks in the USA - the hot topic? Contraception.

Thailand has examples from around the world showing what works and what doesn't work. They don't need to invent anything, just follow a good example.

I wouldnt want a school teacher teaching my child about sex. I believe this is a parents right of passage for the child to be educated by their parents. Open a forum and if they dont ask questions then tell them the truth. Not just about the physical part but also the responsibility and bills that come with parenthood. Dont sugar coat it! I raised three great kids and they all turned out to be perfect adults.

I wouldnt want a school teacher teaching my child about sex. I believe this is a parents right of passage for the child to be educated by their parents. Open a forum and if they dont ask questions then tell them the truth. Not just about the physical part but also the responsibility and bills that come with parenthood. Dont sugar coat it! I raised three great kids and they all turned out to be perfect adults.

education in the schools does not keep a parent from doing what you have done, too.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a real problem. My ex Thai girlfriend had to take in her niece when she became pregnant. Only 15 years old and her parents cast her out of the house for getting pregnant and my ex was the only one to have some compassion on her. The girl had little sex ed but one thing was she was so shamed she felt abortion was the only way out. My ex told her no way that was happening, that she wouldn't give her money to do that and that she will raise the baby if the girl didn't want to do it. So now my ex is raising the baby after it was born recently. Hopefully the girl can keep going to school now but I don't know what's going to happen if she decides she wants to try to be a mother to the kid at some point. And the boy that got her pregnant wanted nothing to do with her after he got her pregnant. Sad realities that need to be dealt with and talked about rather than ignored and cast away when the shit becomes real. It's just not healthy the way some people deal with this stuff.

The Government (or what passes for one) has spent 60 million baht to purchase 60 million condoms. 1 baht Each? Really?

I remember a few years ago when all condom dispensing machines were removed from universities.

Signed - Confused of Jomtien.