Ombudsmen Asked To Look Into PM Yingluck's Conduct At Bangkok Hotel

webfact

PM'S MYSTERIOUS VISIT

Ombudsmen asked to look into PM's conduct at hotel

The Nation

30175820-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A political pressure group linked to the yellow shirts petitioned the Ombudsman's Office yesterday for an investigation into alleged misconduct by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra in connection with her recent appearance at a Bangkok hotel.

The Green Politics group, represented by Jaturan Boonbenjarat, asked the agency to investigate whether the premier had violated any code of conduct for doing "personal business during work time" and failing to provide a satisfactory explanation to the public.

Sa-ngad Patthawi, deputy secretary-general of the Ombudsman's Office, said after accepting the petition he would forward it to the ombudsmen at their next meeting - tomorrow, when they will decide whether to investigate the matter.

Last week, government critic Akeyuth Anchanbutr said that he saw Yingluck on Wednesday afternoon at the Four Seasons Hotel. He claims he was assaulted by someone in the PM's security team, but this has been dismissed by many government figures.

Yingluck insisted later she "did not do anything wrong" during her visit to the hotel, and rejected Akeyuth's suggestion of indecent conduct.

Jaturan said yesterday that Green Politics had requested the Ombudsman's Office to urgently look into the matter. He said the prime minister's explanation failed to clear suspicion that she skipped a parliamentary meeting that day for personal business at the hotel.

"If that matter she was involved in at the hotel had something to do with public interest, why didn't she tell the public?" he said.

Akeyuth, a staunch critic of Yingluck's brother, ex-premier Thaksin, challenged Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesterday to conduct a joint press conference about his claim he was attacked by a man working for Thaksin. He was responding to Chalerm's denial of his claim.

Akeyuth said he might change his mind and file a complaint with police about the alleged attack.

Chalerm yesterday turned down Akeyuth's challenge for him to join a joint press conference. Chalerm said he had nothing to do with the matter and repeated his call for Akeyuth to file a complaint to police "to make things easier". He also dismissed Akeyuth's remark that Chalerm knew the identity of Akeyuth's alleged attacker.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-14

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of hers but most PM's don't have "set" office hours and work way longer hours than most.

Seems to be just another attempt to keep the story in the news. As you say, there is no reason that the PM shouldn't be allowed some personal time to the point where, according to another article in the same paper, the press were told before hand which is why they weren't present at the time. The second 'charge' is just contradictary in that, if it was personal time, why does she have a constitutional duty to provide any explanation to the public.

Well I had hopes after she was elected that she would surprise us all and be a good leader. Didn't take long to let us down.

But this charge is ridicules. Akeyuth obviously has a hidden agenda. The police should investigate and charge him with slander. The whole thing stinks.

As a earlier poster said A Prime Minister works far more hours than normal people. Even if it is just posing for photo ops and going to superfluous parties that cost the tax payer 10,000,000 Baht that could be spent on flood relief.

Well I had hopes after she was elected that she would surprise us all and be a good leader. Didn't take long to let us down.

But this charge is ridicules. Akeyuth obviously has a hidden agenda. The police should investigate and charge him with slander. The whole thing stinks.

As a earlier poster said A Prime Minister works far more hours than normal people. Even if it is just posing for photo ops and going to superfluous parties that cost the tax payer 10,000,000 Baht that could be spent on flood relief.

Nothing hidden about Akeyuth's agenda: he doesn't like the PM and will do or say anything, no matter how trivial or irrelevant, to make her look bad. Thai politics......sheesh.

If she is having a private business lunch with a major land speculator at this time it is quite inappropriate.

Since a lot of her family members are involved in real estate and she herself headed up a property development company it must be difficult for her to avoid them.

With all the family connections, including the control freak in Dubai, it would surprise me if the PM was getting her own hands dirty and involving herself in some shady dealing especially in such a relatively public setting as one of Bangkoks top hotels.

She had a personal meeting with a real estate developer. She has business interests in real estate. Why was she meeting him? Especially when parliament was in session and she should have been there.

Parliament is in session so the PM and all MP's should be there?

I guess you subscribe to the same misguided school of thought that when all schools are open so all teachers and students should be there. Or the law courts are open so all lawyers should be there.

Silly concept really.

They are not serious about these allegations - they are just intent on hounding her and watching her every move until she either makes a real humdinger of a mistake whereby she is impeached or can take no more and calls it a day........and then I woke up from my dream, hugely disappointed that she was still there!!!! Looks like I will have to wait another night at least.

She had a personal meeting with a real estate developer. She has business interests in real estate. Why was she meeting him? Especially when parliament was in session and she should have been there.

Parliament is in session so the PM and all MP's should be there?

I guess you subscribe to the same misguided school of thought that when all schools are open so all teachers and students should be there. Or the law courts are open so all lawyers should be there.

Silly concept really.

Lawyers don't have to be in court all the time. Teachers are paid to be school, so I wouldn't expect them to skip classes to attend a personal meeting. Students aren't paid to be in school, so they're irrelevant.

Politicians should either be in parliament when it is in session or attending to their constituency's issues. They shouldn't be taking time away from parliament to deal with their business interests.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 2

If she is having a private business lunch with a major land speculator at this time it is quite inappropriate.

Emphasis....Business Lunch.

Private.....meaning no media

Nothing inappropriate, other than agenized suggestive impropriety.

Not complicated.

What is she doing conducting business while she is PM?

• Like 1

Not complicated.

The Nation's business is often business.

That is what Prime Ministers do.

Edited by CalgaryII

I'm not a fan of hers but most PM's don't have "set" office hours and work way longer hours than most.

Seems to be just another attempt to keep the story in the news. As you say, there is no reason that the PM shouldn't be allowed some personal time to the point where, according to another article in the same paper, the press were told before hand which is why they weren't present at the time. The second 'charge' is just contradictary in that, if it was personal time, why does she have a constitutional duty to provide any explanation to the public.

it's a big joke and not surprising that the yellow posters all say 'jolly good job - having a lunch? outrageous! never happened when Dems were in power too busy killing people in Bangkok for lunch nonsense'

Not complicated.

The Nation's business is often business.

That is what Prime Ministers do.

Maybe she was doing undercover business.

Edited by z12

it's a big joke and not surprising that the yellow posters all say 'jolly good job - having a lunch? outrageous! never happened when Dems were in power too busy killing people in Bangkok for lunch nonsense'

I believe ex-PM Mark did 9 to 5 Mon-Sat plus over times. No skipping off work to attend private business like going to the bank or organise a coup etc.

"A political pressure group linked to the yellow shirts petitioned the Ombudsman's Office yesterday...."

And linked to the Parliamentary Opposition.

Basically, another example of one of the numerous elements of the Opposition taking initiatives.

Actions that in mature Democracies would be confined to Parliamentary debate.

Reminds me of the PAC groups working on behalf of American Politicians, supposedly independent of said Politicians.

A sham as everyone knows, and also a 'shell game' here. It is a favorite ploy of the Parliamentary Opposition, advancing their political challenges through channels other than themselves.

They also like to create what they call 'networks' protesting everything under the sun, seemingly unrelated to Opposition agenda's, but promoting those agenda's all the same. Same goes for Polling, researchy type instruments.

That is what I call "Agenda laundering"

Edited by CalgaryII

"A political pressure group linked to the yellow shirts petitioned the Ombudsman's Office yesterday...."

Basically, another example of one of the numerous elements of the Opposition taking initiatives.

Reminds me of the PAC groups working on behalf of American Politicians, supposedly independent of said Politicians.

A sham as everyone knows, and also a 'shell game' here. It is a favorite ploy of the Parliamentary Opposition, advancing their political challenges through channels other than themselves.

They also like to create what they call 'networks' protesting everything under the sun, seemingly unrelated to Opposition agenda's, but promoting those agenda's all the same. Same goes for Polling, researchy type instruments.

How are they linked to the Parliamentary Opposition?

How are they linked to the Parliamentary Opposition?

It is my belief that the Opposition has a number of tentacles, working in concert with each other.

That is probably the case here.

I list several of those tentacles in my post.

When it all boils down, there are two sides to the Political divide in Thailand.

Each side has entities focussing on their particular area of interest.

Most Political Junkies here could list out a number of these entities and associate them accordingly.

All those so-called networks protesting in front of Parliament, even before Ms. Y. took office, did not arise spontaneously, but in the same way as this group going to the Ombudsman.

My Post deals with those on the Opposition side, but one can say the same for the Govt.

The UDD/Red Shirts are a separate entity, but everyone knows they are Govt. linked, often involving the same people and all on the same side of the Political divide.

When I see a researchy based Poll that reflects the Oppsosition agenda, I know it is the Opposition advancing their agenda by other means. In effect laundering it, by making it appear Opposition agenda's are shared by population segments.

Misleading to those unaware.