A Delicate Question About Pussies...

We have a cat problem.

The next door neighbour has cats.

They breed prolifically... shit all over our lawn... never on their lawn 'cos their lawn is concrete... sit on the roof and bonnet of my car... sleep with their fleas on our door mats... lie all over any laundry that may be left outside... and generally give me and my missus the absolute shits.

We hate them... :o

And I used to be a cat lover... :D

What can we do?

Two things about cats..

1)they have excellent memory

2)They hate water

This maybe a solution.....Have at your house a loaded water pistol.(Kept in the fridge for max effect) Every time you see one of the cats, you give them both barrels of ice cold water.Apart from the fun you can have doing this (They normally jump at least 1 x metre when hit! :D )..after a while they get savvy and hopefully will not return. :o

My grandfather used to have this problem.  He was an engineer, made a humane cat trip out of wire mesh, wooden frame, and some springs.  Would catch em, and drive em out into the country, to let them go.  Seemed to solve the problem ok.

Yep... I did that once... :D

Even with the trap and cat in the truck of the car, the rank smell of fear that emanated from the cat took more than 2 weeks to eradicate from the car... :D

I wouldn't recommend doing that again... :o

And... we're talking about 8-10 cats by the way... :D

I could be cruel and suggest warfarin but I won't. what about a water sprinkler left running. I know it will increase your water bill but in the long run. Alternatively throw pepper up their noses. Not nice but it keeps the cat who lives in our flats out of my garden. Don't do as my neighbour did when I suggested it to her, she chased the cat with a pepper grinder! i used ready ground stuff and after trial and error found the white worked best. :o

Catnip, what's the advantage?

"Catnip" is the common name for a perennial herb of the mint family. It is native to Europe and is an import to the United States and other countries. The catnip plant is now a widespread weed in North America.

Given to the right cat, catnip can cause an amazing reaction! The cat will rub it, roll over it, kick at it, and generally go nuts for several minutes. Then the cat will lose interest and walk away. Two hours later, the cat may come back and have exactly the same response.

Because there really isn't any scent that causes this sort of reaction in humans, catnip is hard for us to understand. However, it is not an uncommon behavior in animals that rely heavily on their noses. For example, there are many scents that will trigger intense hunting behavior in dogs, and other scents will cause dogs to stop in their tracks and roll all over the scent.

Although no one knows exactly what happens in the cat's brain, it is known that the chemical nepetalactone in catnip is the thing that triggers the response. Apparently, it somehow kicks off a stereotypical pattern in cats that are sensitive to the chemical. The catnip reaction is inherited, and some cats are totally unaffected by it. Large cats like tigers can be sensitive to it as well.

The reaction to catnip only lasts a few minutes. Then the cat acclimates to it, and it can take an hour or two away from catnip for the cat to "reset." Then, the same reaction can occur again. Very young kittens and older cats seem less likely to have a reaction to catnip.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question303.htm

a bit of vinegar in a water pistol --shoot them with it every time they come over. Alternatively --get a small dog that will chase them off.

I've heard this too. When they lick themselves to clean, they don't like the taste.

In the past I've sprinkled paprika on the ground where they decide to lay down, it works for a long time,.

Edited by TizMe

A difficuly one especialy as your neighbour is breeding cats and therefore new arrivals will be bursting on the scene at regular intervals.

Cats in general do not like citrus fruit try the juice and flesh from ma-naao and also throw some crushed gra-tiam cloves around the area bordering your neighbours and your property as most cats do not like the smell of garlic either.

You can buy cat repellent on line in the form of gel and also machines which emit a sonic wave which humans cannot hear, but which animals find annoying.

If all fails a large dog maybe the answer. Good luck. :o

a bit of vinegar in a water pistol --shoot them with it every time they come over. Alternatively --get a small dog that will chase them off.

I've heard this too. When they lick themselves to clean, they don't like the taste.

In the past I've sprinkled paprika on the ground where they decide to lay down, it works for a long time,.

Chilli powder's the go. :o

We have a cat problem.

The next door neighbour has cats.

They breed prolifically... shit all over our lawn... never on their lawn 'cos their lawn is concrete... sit on the roof and bonnet of my car... sleep with their fleas on our door mats... lie all over any laundry that may be left outside... and generally give me and my missus the absolute shits.

We hate them...  :o

And I used to be a cat lover...  :D

What can we do?

Go to the Kanchanaburi Tiger Temple and have them give you some old towels or whatever with the tigers' urine and scent on it. I know they'll do it cause I was just there and they said could.

My father visiting from the states says tiger urin is being sold to keep deer, coyotes and other wild animals off certain lands. It's very expensive there, but the monks in Kanchanaburi would be happy to give it for nothing.

Then just rub the towls around the yard and maybe a few cuttings of it at entry points and you that should be the last pussy you'll ever see, around there atleast.

However I forgot to ask if the sent would attract other wild tigers to come investigate the yard. That might be a good thing to know first.

Perhaps even the BKK zoo could get ya some if Kanchan is trouble to get out to.

I undrestand it makes a killer aftershave as well!

Tigerpiss.... why not! :D

Any tigers down Patty way JD?

Actually the Sriratcha Tiger Zoo in only about 30 minutes away by car... :D

These are good suggestions... I've never asked a tiger to piss into a jar before though. :D

I must admit... I've tried a few deterrents using western methods involving milk... usually part of the staple diet of a cat... but not so here in Thailand... :D

People here do not drink (nor feed their cats) milk. :D

PS. Thanks bronco for your suggestions... but milk just doesn't work here... :o