Low Cost Broadband

phazey

I've been after a BB connection of some sort for a while now for my Bangkok house. I'm put off of the high cost of the providers.

I am not to hot on Thai comms laws, but would a "pool" be legal. Basically a group of people all chip in and buy a connection of some sort (ipstar for example) and spread the cost evenly. Then they share the connection by using wireless units (obviously people would have to be in the same roundabouts area, and of course one person would have to be entrusted with having the unit ad their premises).

Ps: wireless boxes would be circa $250 per site...

I know reselling is "illegal" but is "sharing" ?

Cheers,

./P

Your contract with the ISP may contain a clause against it.

In Singapore, Pacific Internet refused connection sharing for their broadband for a while ... but it was more related to additional technical support, than the fact to share the bandwidth ...

I know people who have done this in BKK ... but as this was not an unlimited access ... measuring who was using the bandwidth started to be important ... $$$

Another posibility:

- subscribe for unlimited local (5/600)

- use a fast local proxy to access international site

The one with the Proxy would be paying the international access ...

CSLoxinfo has a 3,600 THB (w/o VAT) for 256/128 unlimited ... below 2,000 THB end of the year ?

I use IPTV in our condominium, we share our connection with around 10 people. Works great... CSLoxinfo does support sharing, they even have free downloads of some basic internet sharing/proxy's on their support pages! This is their clause about sharing :

Remark : According to terms and conditions not being provided for any sharing and commercial use, CS Internet Customer Service reserves the right to support normal use and not guarantee any sharing.

Seems like it's alright non-commercially...

Support page IPTV

Check out the sharing zone (mostly Thai language :D )

To keep track of who uses how many data I use Wingate...Once setup properly (not easy :o ) it works great...

Guest IT Manager

Two glaring thoughts. Clause 7.3 of the IPSTAR contract forbids on-selling the service. The sharing support software is related to networks.

Simple answer is no, they dont want you to do it, but how would they know, when they spend most of their engineers time chasing after the marketing brains who are selling vapour ware anyway.

I have a 40 node network operating faultlessly on ipstar, except when there is an ipstar problem (generally once or twice a week).

iI don't understand what good is having "unlimited local access"? This may be good for gamers but most people need to access the international line.

they will not release unlimited international as long as they can still ripp us off, unlimited local access is just a gimmick, tricking people to sign up with them.