US And British Nationals Urged To Be On High Alert After Bangkok Blasts

webfact

US and British Nationals Urged to Be on High Alert After Bangkok Blasts

BANGKOK: -- The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and the British Foreign Office have urged their nationals to be on high alert in the wake of yesterday's multiple blasts in the Thai capital.

Following the multiple blasts in Bangkok's Sukhumvit area on Tuesday afternoon, the U.S. Embassy in Thailand posted on its website a message urging Americans to be on high alert when in public places. They are advised to report to the authorities if they find suspicious items or bags, as well as to keep abreast of the news.

U.S. Embassy Spokesman Walter Braunohler said a further warning has been issued in addition to the existing terrorist alert and Americans can contact the embassy any time. He added that the embassy has been closely coordinating with Thailand's security agencies.

Meanwhile, the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office issued a travel warning for Thailand, particularly Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Ubon Ratchathani, and Udon Thani, citing high terrorist risks.

The UK authorities also advised that its nationals follow instructions from the Thai government and closely follow news reports.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-15

footer_n.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you reported suspicious bags in Bangkok you would be doing it every five minutes, how many Thais leave their bags at a table in food court or other restaurants and go and get their food, I for one would like to see the Shopping centres and other places start educating people, I would willingly go in and start shouting bomb if I saw it to wake these people up.

• Like 1

If you reported suspicious bags in Bangkok you would be doing it every five minutes, how many Thais leave their bags at a table in food court or other restaurants and go and get their food, I for one would like to see the Shopping centres and other places start educating people, I would willingly go in and start shouting bomb if I saw it to wake these people up.

popcorn.gif

I'm not sure anyone else would classify a bag left on a table by a Thai in a food court as they went to get food as being suspicious. If it was a foreigner who left it there and headed for an exit then it would be extremely suspicious and I would report it the moment I got the hell out of the food court.

I'm not sure anyone else would classify a bag left on a table by a Thai in a food court as they went to get food as being suspicious. If it was a foreigner who left it there and headed for an exit then it would be extremely suspicious and I would report it the moment I got the hell out of the food court.

A terrorist can be anyone, there are terrorists in the South who are Thai, also have you ever heard of groups holding prisoners to make people plant bombs, a tactic used by Hezbollah before, with different success rates.

Do you watch the person who places the bag go to the counter to get food, or do you just think that is the way Thais do it?

Edited by beano2274

I suppose we can expect another march on the embassy and the usual obfuscation by the PM clone and the PTP.

Thai Tourism Agencies Eye March On US Embassy Over Terror Warning

http://www.thaivisa....terror-warning/

Is Thailand a new terrorism playground?

http://www.thaivisa....ism-playground/

Chalerm denies threat of terror

http://www.thaivisa....error-thailand/

PM Yingluck brushes aside worries over terror attack plan in Thailand

http://www.thailandn...an-in-thailand/

Lebanese Terror Suspect Had Many Accomplices: Thai Police

http://www.thaivisa....es-thai-police/

Edited by z12

Should be getting the email from my Canadian embassy any minute now.

Oh yeah, they aren't awake there now.

Is Pattaya safe? Well look where the bomber was before he went back to Bkk. I have 4 Mosques around me so not sure if I'm safe or not.

• Like 1

A terrorist can be anyone, there are terrorists in the South who are Thai, also have you ever heard of groups holding prisoners to make people plant bombs, a tactic used by Hezbollah before, with different success rates.

Do you watch the person who places the bag go to the counter to get food, or do you just think that is the way Thais do it?

Actually it is the way many people do in many places in the world do it if they are able to keep an eye on their bag or feel they are in a safe environment. I, and have seen many people, in airports all over (including the US, leave their bag by their seat as they stretch their legs or go get a drink of water. Nothing suspicious there. If you want to live a paranoid life then so be it, start being scared of trash bags in garbage cans too. We can only hope that if a terrorist wants to attack they are not a suicide bomber and does do something out of the ordinary to catch somebody's attention because no matter how paranoid you want to be, there is nothing that can stop somebody determined to blow up people in a public place. Even now there is nothing to prevent somebody from sticking a tube of explosives up their anal cavity and getting on a plane ... all the scanners, magnetic security, pat downs, x-ray machines or shoe removal procedures in place now aren't going to catch this. But then again we could let the fear take over and create a rule that people must defecate before entering a plane and then move to force everyone to remain in a holding cell for 24-hours before a flight for those who may have swallowed explosive related material.

And the chance of a Thai wanting to blow up another group of unknown Thais or farangs in a food courts is pretty remote and not one that I will worry about unless something actually suspicious raises my attention.

• Like 1

Get a life mate. Nothing wrong with leaving your bag at a table while you pick up your food. If you're so paranoid I suggest you see a doctor and get yourself treated.

You're way, way too paranoid.You really need to get treatment urgently.

i think people have forgotten the attack in Bangkok a few years ago where bombs were placed in bins around Victory Monument. Am not paranoid, security my family is very important to me, and if i feel that something is not right then I will get out of the area quite quickly.

But if Hezbollah want to make a point then the best places are the big shopping malls, plenty of tourists around, and security is not switched on enough.

3rd Iranian Suspect Fled to Malaysia

BANGKOK: -- Police have identified a 3rd Iranian suspect in yesterday's bomb blasts in Bangkok as Sedaghatzadeh Masud and immigration police said he's left for Malaysia on an 8.20 P.M. flight yesterday. A CCTV image of the suspect has been circulated.

National Police chief Police General Priewpan Damapong says the second Iranian suspect arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday has denied all charges against him.

He has reported the latest on the case to the PM who has ordered an increase in security for tourist spots.

Police have set up a war room to investigate the 3 blasts in the Sukhumvit Soi 71 area to see whether any Thai nationals are involved.

The National Security Council announces that yesterday's bombings aren't a terrorist attack and will be investigated to see if there are links to Hezbollah. It goes on to say Thais aren't the target of the attacks.

Defense Minister ACM Sukumpol Suwanatat says yesterday's bombings aren't a terrorist attack. Acting govt spokesperson Thitima Chaisaeng also reiterates that they weren't a terrorist attack and says the PM won't let the incident disrupt her provincial tour.

The Foreign Ministry has denied Thailand is a terrorist target despite a travel advisory issued by 10 countries on travel to the kingdom

US State Department Spokesperson Victoria Nuland condemns the bombings in Bangkok and says an investigation is needed to see if they are linked to Iran and the Hezbollah group. Meanwhile, the UK's Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued a travel advisory for its citizens to be cautious when visiting Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, and Ubon Ratchathani.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-15

footer_n.gif

Is Pattaya safe? Well look where the bomber was before he went back to Bkk. I have 4 Mosques around me so not sure if I'm safe or not.

These folk wont sh*t on there own doorsteps if they can help it. You and your 4 Mosques should be safe.........

No problems at all in Pattaya, I can confidently say that as I have never been cowboy.gif

These folk wont sh*t on there own doorsteps if they can help it. You and your 4 Mosques should be safe.........

No problems at all in Pattaya, I can confidently say that as I have never been cowboy.gif

Agree that a mosque probably won't be a target in Thailand, but plenty have been blown up in the middle east. As the head of Al Qaeda in Iraq said before his untimely death, i hate Shias more than I hate Americans.

I just hope an international warrant has been issue ... I also hope the Malaysian and Thai police will work together in this matter .

Malaysia, Asean hub of antisemitism, help Thailand catch an Iranian who tried to murder Israelis? Dream on.

However, since he failed, he probably won't be getting a parade.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I just hope an international warrant has been issue ... I also hope the Malaysian and Thai police will work together in this matter .

Malaysia, Asean hub of antisemitism, help Thailand catch an Iranian who tried to murder Israelis? Dream on.

However, since he failed, he probably won't be getting a parade.

for the time being nobody know the target were israelis ...

Meanwhile, the UK's Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued a travel advisory for its citizens to be cautious when visiting Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, and Ubon Ratchathani.

Yet more completely useless, meaningless waffle from the UKFCO after the horse has bolted. So Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Chang are OK then? Looks like this advisory got self-censored to appease the local tourist authority.

"The UK authorities also advised that its nationals follow instructions from the Thai government"

Luvvly jubbly! - fade into theme tune for Monty Python

for the time being nobody know the target were israelis ...

What do you think? Do you think the targets in Georgia and India were Israelis? I guess you're right, the targets were clearly Bulgarians.crazy.gif

Since nobody has yet connected the three attacks it seems your suggested point is currently worthless. crazy.gif

Edited by Nisa