US And British Nationals Urged To Be On High Alert After Bangkok Blasts

webfact

As usual, just american and british warnings. Only these two nations see dangers for their nationals in thailand. All other farangs are safe according to no warning from their governments.

I wonder how the terrorists can make out american farangs and british farangs from all other farangs?

These warnings are TRULY PATHETIC. Why these nations, and not holland or germany or jamaica or nigeria or malaysia or russia or serbia or any other nation? Why are they all safe, but british and american people are at threat of being blown up??

It's truly orwellian.

Actually, there are a number of countries with travel warnings for Thailand. I actually prefer the travel warnings of Somalia. Read them on a daily basis. Read the warnings from NZ:

http://www.safetravel.govt.nz/destinations/thailand.shtml

I think you need to research what travel warnings are all about. It could also be a legal issue. Research what happened with the kidnappings in Sipadan and the lawsuit that followed. Crazy times.

Live your life. Don't blame everything on the US or the UK.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, just american and british warnings. Only these two nations see dangers for their nationals in thailand. All other farangs are safe according to no warning from their governments.

I wonder how the terrorists can make out american farangs and british farangs from all other farangs?

These warnings are TRULY PATHETIC. Why these nations, and not holland or germany or jamaica or nigeria or malaysia or russia or serbia or any other nation? Why are they all safe, but british and american people are at threat of being blown up??

It's truly orwellian.

Actually, there are a number of countries with travel warnings for Thailand. I actually prefer the travel warnings of Somalia. Read them on a daily basis. Read the warnings from NZ:

http://www.safetrave.../thailand.shtml

I think you need to research what travel warnings are all about. It could also be a legal issue. Research what happened with the kidnappings in Sipadan and the lawsuit that followed. Crazy times.

Thailand should be worried, Egypt is a GHOST country now.

Edited by z12

The OP states that "The UK authorities also advised that its nationals follow instructions from the Thai government and closely follow news reports."

That can't possibly be a serious statement by the UK government.

Be led by the Thai government and pay attention to these buffaloes on the news here?!?

I can barely find the words to respond to such a ludicrous and assinine [sic] advisory.

It's truly orwellian.

True. Different countries and governments have differing standards of safety and of international relations, the Thai mythology that everyone loves 'em and all Thais are safe from a dangerous world notwithstanding.

Read the warnings from NZ:

Thanks for the link. I learned something new. I always thought you were technically supposed to carry your passport at all times but it appears, according to the NZ Embassy, a foreign government issued ID should be good enough ...

It is a requirement under Thai law to carry photo identification at all times. A New Zealand driver’s licence or a photocopy of the biodata page from a passport would be adequate identification in the first instance.

.Though I am not sure what they mean by "first instance" but assuming it means for general interaction with authorities (cops on the street) as opposed to if you are hauled into the police station and arrested.

Edited by Nisa

Thanks for the link. I learned something new. I always thought you were technically supposed to carry your passport at all times but it appears, according to the NZ Embassy, a foreign government issued ID should be good enough ...

It is a requirement under Thai law to carry photo identification at all times. A New Zealand driver’s licence or a photocopy of the biodata page from a passport would be adequate identification in the first instance.

.Though I am not sure what they mean by "first instance" but assuming it means for general interaction with authorities (cops on the street) as opposed to if you are hauled into the police station and arrested.

The law in Thailand states foreigners must carry their passports at all times. Thai nationals must carry their ID cards at all times. No other ID, by law, is accepted, including copies of passports or other photographic ID. They may suffice in some circumstances with some officers but the law states passport only.

"By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request. Ensure you complete the next of kin details section in the back of your passport."

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/thailand#locallawsandcustoms

The arrests the FCO refers to happen from time to time during Police shakedowns of nightclubs and such where police use this law to extort money from foreigners not carrying their passports.

I just hope an international warrant has been issue ... I also hope the Malaysian and Thai police will work together in this matter .

Malaysia, Asean hub of antisemitism, help Thailand catch an Iranian who tried to murder Israelis? Dream on.

However, since he failed, he probably won't be getting a parade.

seems your cynicism was misplaced.

http://www.thaivisa....-blasts-police/

Edited by nocturn

I'm pretty sure the US has a 'waterboarding' facility here in the good ol' Land of Smiles...Smile. You're about to be "rendered" to Thailand.

The you would be wrong. The US government has banned waterboarding as of the election of President Obama. This policy decision was supported by a diverse group including some Republican heavy hitters. On the other hand, Thai interrogation techniques are on par with Russian, Indian and Chinese methods and they make the US look like pansies.

The law in Thailand states foreigners must carry their passports at all times. Thai nationals must carry their ID cards at all times. No other ID, by law, is accepted, including copies of passports or other photographic ID. They may suffice in some circumstances with some officers but the law states passport only.

"By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request. Ensure you complete the next of kin details section in the back of your passport."

http://www.fco.gov.u...llawsandcustoms

The arrests the FCO refers to happen from time to time during Police shakedowns of nightclubs and such where police use this law to extort money from foreigners not carrying their passports.

It would seem that knowledge of the actual law is not at all clear ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/321632-carry-copy-of-passport/

http://www.fco.gov.u...llawsandcustoms

It would seem that knowledge of the actual law is not at all clear ... http://www.thaivisa....py-of-passport/

The knowledge of some foreigners might not be clear, but the law is. The Thai law requires that everyone carry "acceptable" identification.

That is why it is compulsory for all Thai nationals to have a national id card. Do you honestly think that if Thai nationals must have "acceptable" id, that this requirement would be waived for foreigners?

Discretion is allowed in Thailand as to an acceptable foreign id. Some foreign id is acceptable depending upon the circumstances. You will find that a street begger that appears to be a foreigner will be dealt with more harshly than the typical Swede that gets stopped on his motorbike for not wearing a helmet. It is no secret that of late people that look middle eastern have been stopped by Thai authorities and asked for id. Those that could not produce acceptable id or a good explanation have usually been taken away for more questioning. It is therefore prudent that an Iranian terrorist would carry his passport at all times , particularly if he might have to escape quickly.

BTW, the consnsus of many foreign governments is that of the UK FCO;

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/thailand

Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens

[/url]

Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens: Explosions in the vicinity of Sukhumvit Soi 71 Bangkok

February 14, 2012

This message alerts U.S. citizens in Thailand that a series of explosions occurred in the vicinity of Sukhumvit Soi 71 in Bangkok on the afternoon of February 14. Thai police are on the scene investigating.

As a reminder we encourage U.S. citizens to maintain a heightened awareness when in public. Be alert for unattended packages/bags in public and report any suspicious behavior to the nearest law enforcement personnel.

The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing [email protected]. The Embassy’s after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000. The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

For the latest information, you should regularly monitor the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet website, where current Worldwide Cautions, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings and health-information resources can be found. You can also obtain up-to-date information on security by calling 1-888-407-4747 (toll free) in the U.S. and Canada or, for callers in other areas, by calling a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

We encourage you notify us of your presence in Thailand by enrolling in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

The knowledge of some foreigners might not be clear, but the law is. The Thai law requires that everyone carry "acceptable" identification.

That is why it is compulsory for all Thai nationals to have a national id card. Do you honestly think that if Thai nationals must have "acceptable" id, that this requirement would be waived for foreigners?

Discretion is allowed in Thailand as to an acceptable foreign id. Some foreign id is acceptable depending upon the circumstances. You will find that a street begger that appears to be a foreigner will be dealt with more harshly than the typical Swede that gets stopped on his motorbike for not wearing a helmet. It is no secret that of late people that look middle eastern have been stopped by Thai authorities and asked for id. Those that could not produce acceptable id or a good explanation have usually been taken away for more questioning. It is therefore prudent that an Iranian terrorist would carry his passport at all times , particularly if he might have to escape quickly.

BTW, the consnsus of many foreign governments is that of the UK FCO;

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport.

http://www.fco.gov.u...ceania/thailand

Do you happen to have a link to the Thai law? Generally when a word such as "acceptable" is used in a law, it will define what "acceptable" means. The perceived consensus of other governments is pretty meaningless when it comes to Thai law. And for all the accusations of corrupt police preying on foreigners for money it is amazing that farangs are stopped all the time and show their home country/state and ID and the police accept it without asking for a few hundred baht not to be hauled to jail for not carrying their passport.

I tend to believe the NZ embassies words more but think it is important to note that they they mention a NZ id is legal in a "first instance" which they are not clarifying but probably means in terms of minor offences such as traffic stops as opposed to being detained for more serious investigation.

Edited by Nisa