New Visa For Me Or ... What'S Better?

coffee1.gif First the background info.

I originally came to Bangkok on a 1 year multi entry visa in October 2010.

In October 2011, just before my original visa ran out I applied for and recieved a retirement extension.

So it clearly states in my passport that I am allowed an extension of stay in Thailand until 15 October 2012 and is stamped "Retirement".

Of course, I'm doing 90 day reporting on my retirement extension.

No problem there....but now the questions.

It appears I will have to return to the U.S., possibly until October starting in September 2012...not related to visa but for other reasons. I expect to be back in Thailand before that October 15th 2012 date when I will need a new visa or to renew my retirement extension. However, I can't be 100% sure of that.

I understand that if I get an exit re-entry permit in September before I leave that will reset my 90 day reporting clock when I return.

But what about my VISA? If I have to stay until past 15 October 2012...when I'm supposed to have a new visa or somehow renew my retirement extension...what happens then?

Would it be to my advantage to get a new visa while in the U.S. in September and come back to Thailand on that visa?

And if I did get a new visa to re-enter Thailand with in September...then what would be the status of my current retirement extension after 15 October 2012?

Finally, if I did get a new visa in the U.S. in September....would I need to go through the whole process of reapplying for a retirement extension again?

Need help from the visa/retirement extension experts on what is my best choice.

licklips.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Most offices will not allow application for new extension prior to 30 days so September 16 but if you show a ticket they may allow earlier issue so try that first. If allowed then get a re-entry permit after it is issued. If not allowed get a re-entry permit with hope you can return before the October 15 date it will be valid until and can make extension then. If you can not return by that date obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa for entry and then 60 days later obtain normal one year extension of stay. The whole process is the same every year so nothing more will be needed than doing it from a previous retirement extension.

Everything Lopburi said is right. And if you obtain a retirement extension more than one month in advance, we'd love to know where you did it.

Otherwise, you could go with my favorite route for Americans -- just come on in under the 30-day visa exempt status and then obtain a 90 day O visa once here and then extend that visa for 12 months due to retirement (AKA "the two-step process") To my knowledge this can only be done in Chiang Mai and Bangkok (come on, people, anywhere else?)

This is great if you're far removed from a Thai consulate in the U.S. and/or taking care of urgent matters in the U.S. and just don't have time to apply for an O visa in the U.S.

I know Americans feel like it's a sign of failure to "start over", but there's nothing the matter with starting over in the process to get a new "retirement visa".

Edited by NancyL