Halifax Bank

Between 2000 and 2005 I divided my time between england and thailand. In 2006 I received a retirement visa and live wholey in Thailand.During all this time halifax bank have sent me 3 new cheque books, and debit cards which I need to pay for services I receive from England. In 2011 halifax sent a cheque book to the wrong address, and I never received it. I asked them to cancel the book and send a new one to the correct address. They said new regs have now come out preventing cheque books being sent to Thailand. I said if true send me a copy of the regs, but they refused claiming they are not lying to me.

Does anyone else in Thailand have a halifax bank account and if so have you received a new cheque book or debit card since Nov 2011

I have a Halifax account. Yes they don't like to send things here. If you have an ISA you can't put more money into it if you tell them you live here. I use a work friend I have known for 30 years & she lets me use her address for Halifax, she then posts things out to me. ((% of things you can do with Halifax you can do on-line, you can pay anybody on-line & they get the money in their account in 2 hours.

2 months ago I had a problem with them about my ISA, I was fuming & they deleted my contacts who I send money to so I had to set it up again, I claimed for 100 pounds but got 135 pounds.........result.

I have a Halifax account. Yes they don't like to send things here. If you have an ISA you can't put more money into it if you tell them you live here. I use a work friend I have known for 30 years & she lets me use her address for Halifax, she then posts things out to me. ((% of things you can do with Halifax you can do on-line, you can pay anybody on-line & they get the money in their account in 2 hours.

2 months ago I had a problem with them about my ISA, I was fuming & they deleted my contacts who I send money to so I had to set it up again, I claimed for 100 pounds but got 135 pounds.........result.

Everyone's contacts were deleted when they had a system upgrade.

It also takes a day longer now for funds to get to Kasikorn Bank.

Thailand is also on the list of countries Lloyds TSB won't send a debit card to by regular post. They use a courier and charge GBP 30 to send to a Thai address. But, given the high percentage of overseas items that get lost by Thailand Post, I can't say I blame them.

Use an offshore bank that has experience with customers from all parts of the world and you won't have a problem.

I thnk you might have a different set of issues especially if you are mainly wanting to pay UK accounts for various bills then it would probably be expensive to do it this way - also you have the initial hoops to jump through to open the account.

Use an offshore bank that has experience with customers from all parts of the world and you won't have a problem.

I thnk you might have a different set of issues especially if you are mainly wanting to pay UK accounts for various bills then it would probably be expensive to do it this way - also you have the initial hoops to jump through to open the account.

You have to jump through hoops to open an account in UK onshore also.

My offshore bank charges me nothing for making payment in UK by standing order or by cheque.

My offshore bank charges me nothing for making payment in UK by standing order or by cheque.

Can you say who that is? I have onshore for UK stuff and do it all via their internet banking - how do you use cheques from Thailand?

Can you say who that is? I have onshore for UK stuff and do it all via their internet banking - how do you use cheques from Thailand?

Standard Bank Isle of Man.

I write a sterling cheque and put it in the post.