My New 4S Takes Pictures Upside Down

2008bangkok

I recenlty went from a Blackberry to a 4s and must say im a bit bit disapointed.. where as the BB was not good for apps it was very good for easy use for messaging especially with the unfied inbox for all messaging, text,email,twitter,facebook,whatsapp great they all come into the same inbox..whcih is something the Iphone does do noit do but for the apps it is good.

Anyway i have quesion for 4s or IOS 5.01 owners

When i try the old style charger with the white box looking thing and plug it into the wall it does not charge but charge with USB, but somebody at work has a different type of charge it is a 3 prong plug with the usb plug into that and that works, anybody else has this problem..

How long does people battery last? It seems a bit unfair to have to turn off location services/push/siri just to get a day out of the battery, does anybody have 2 days battery in there 4s?

And now onto my big beef..

Why is it when you take a photo normally when you transfer to PC it is 90 degrees to the left, and when you take a photo using the volume up button as said the new features for IOS 5 the image is completly upside down when you transfer to a PC, this is also on iphone 4 running 5.x, this is crazy man, there is many discusssions on apple re this, but this is crazy man 26k for 32kb for pictures to come out bad.. this is not good..

I still run a iPhone 4-G that cost me 27,000 baht last year. I haven't went to the 4-S yes as I have managed to get "Siri" installed on my 4G.

I am also interested to know your issue and just want to know if you have actually read the "user manual" that comes inside the device (built into idevice"?

I have heard that the new 4-S are to be used with MacBook's on OS X Lion etc.Apple didn't target their sales around Thailand & Asia but more less in the USA, Canada and Europe as apple does and thinks that everyone owns a Mac.

Try reading the "Camera" section under the User Manual first and play around in settings etc. I stay in Pattaya and not sure where you are but you can pm me if you want.

If not then just return it right away (within 7 days in Thailand).

The reason the pics are upside down... Is because you are holding the phone upside down. No I'm not joking, yes you are that silly.

coffee1.gif any serious anwsers?

That was serious..... Turn the freaking phone the other way up and you will see. Jeeeeeeze

Well obviously if I turn the phone upside down it will come out correctly in windows but then it's going to be upside down on the phone and that ain't what I paid 26k for.... Jeeeeeze

TheLaugingMan: Don't be an idiot here when someone is asking for help please.

You pay 22k for an iPhone you obviously don't want to turn your phone up side down every time you want to take a pic.

Jeeeezzzzzzz

PS: Dude what happens when you use the video and download it to your notebook? Is it ok or up side down?

Omg.... Are you joking with me? Seriously at this point you are just messing with me right? Lol if you take a pic with the iPhone with home button at bottome or home button at top it will still look normal in your photos app! But the home button needs to be down in order for th pics to show up in windows the correct way up. Lol you are killing me man.

I'm not being a jerk hahahaha I was serious from the beggining and a, still serious. IT IS HE that is holding it upside down when he takes the pics and therefore they come out in windows upside down. I'm not telling him to start holding it the wrong way, I'm telling him to stop holding it upside down lol

You pay 22k for an iPhone you obviously don't want to turn your phone up side down every time you want to take a pic.

Jeeeezzzzzzz

PS: Dude what happens when you use the video and download it to your notebook? Is it ok or up side down?

Guys im trying to be serious here its really buggin me..

Ok i will explain it better if you look at the link below ands scroll to no1 10 taking a picture either of those way on IOS 5 does not show the pictures the correct way up when you transfer to PC it is either 90 degrees to tleft in portrait and upside down in landscape

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2011/10/30-of-the-best-ios-5-features.html

and here is a 13 page discussion on apple forum about it

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3431867?start=0&tstart=0

Maybe some one who actually has OS 5.x on Iphone 4 or 4s can comment instead of all the wise cracks..

Jeeezzzzeeee

In landscape the volume buttons need to be on the top

The volume buttons are on the top right which is the correct way up, i think it would no if I was using it the wrong way up trying to use the buttons from underneath...

Edited by 2008bangkok

Jeeeezzzzzzz

The volume buttons need to be on the left or the phone is considered upside down, I don't know how I can be any more clear on this without looking like I'm joking?!

In landscape the volume buttons need to be on the top

Well if your volume buttons are positioned like I described and they still are upside down then that's a serious bug, all I know is, if I turn my camera the wrong way, the pics are upside down, but if volume buttons are on the left or on top for landscape then they come out just fine on my pc.

Are you using OS 5.x? This is what im trying to get at if it is something with OS5 as i tried on a Iphone 4 which was updated to OS5 and my new 4S and they both the same

I have an iPhone 4S, running iOS 5.0.1, and my pictures sync to my computer oriented the correct way. Indeed this is the first time I have heard or seen this issue raised. Granted, I am syncing to a Mac, but I have never had a picture sync upside down. Reading the thread you linked to regarding this, it's clear that there is an issue, and it's just as clear that the issue is not with the iPhone itself, but the viewing software - in every instance Windows. The fact that Apple released this without ensuring it works across all computer operating systems is, IMO, poor form, but the fault does not rest with Apple alone. The cause of this issue is the orientation flag in the image's EXIF data not being read correctly by the Windows image viewing software - this orientation flag has been an EXIF standard for nearly 10 years, so the fact that the majority of Windows image viewing programs do not read it correctly is not the fault of Apple - their only error was expecting Windows application developers to be with the times, which is poor form in itself... (I say "majority of Windows image viewing programs", because some do read it correctly)

Regarding the battery, it has always been <deleted>, ever since my first iPhone 3G, but it's been getting better incrementally with each iOS update, and each new hardware release. But, being a heavy user, I can still barely make it through an entire day on one charge.

This "old style charger" - are you referring to the power adaptor that came in your 4S's box? If so, it sounds to me like you may have received a dodgy one.

I have an iPhone 4S, running iOS 5.0.1, and my pictures sync to my computer oriented the correct way. Indeed this is the first time I have heard or seen this issue raised. Granted, I am syncing to a Mac, but I have never had a picture sync upside down. Reading the thread you linked to regarding this, it's clear that there is an issue, and it's just as clear that the issue is not with the iPhone itself, but the viewing software - in every instance Windows. The fact that Apple released this without ensuring it works across all computer operating systems is, IMO, poor form, but the fault does not rest with Apple alone. The cause of this issue is the orientation flag in the image's EXIF data not being read correctly by the Windows image viewing software - this orientation flag has been an EXIF standard for nearly 10 years, so the fact that the majority of Windows image viewing programs do not read it correctly is not the fault of Apple - their only error was expecting Windows application developers to be with the times, which is poor form in itself... (I say "majority of Windows image viewing programs", because some do read it correctly)

Regarding the battery, it has always been <deleted>, ever since my first iPhone 3G, but it's been getting better incrementally with each iOS update, and each new hardware release. But, being a heavy user, I can still barely make it through an entire day on one charge.

This "old style charger" - are you referring to the power adaptor that came in your 4S's box? If so, it sounds to me like you may have received a dodgy one.

Well i tried various programs to see if it opens correctly and all the normal ones like windows photo viewer, IE, paint, Paint.net all show upside down but Picasa will show it correctly, I downloaded a program to read EXIF data and for orientation it shows unknow but pictures from other phones ect will say 'left'so maybe that is it, im not sure who is to blame whether it is Apple or MS, but for me it is apple becuase they at the end of the day the buck stops with them to make sure that the pictures are correctly viewable from default of the most popular OS in the world, every other camera whether it be a Blackberry or normal camera show it correctly so MS is readig that info correctly unless every other camera maker in the world writes the EXIF info incorrectly to adjust to MS bad form(which I doubt)

I guess with the battery I will just have to live with charging every night again..for the charger problem, I had a old Iphone charger floating around the house which is what I tested it on as i didnt need to unrap the new one if I had one kicking about this is the one that didnt work, but after i wrote the original thread i went home and used the charger that came with the phone and that works, these 2 chargers look exactly the same the only difference is the new one splist into 2 but the old one didnt, so i guess even though they look identical they are not and new 4s cannot use the old style chargers maybe on the 3, 3g, or 4, well for my Iphone you cannot.

Thanks for the sensible anwser,

iPhone 4 with iOS 4 = great battery life, easy 2 days with heavy usage, more with light usage or when turning off some features. iPhone 4 with iOS 5 - battery life is now one day - I can work with that but it's significantly worse than before. Really lame & hope they'll fix it soon.

From friends with the 4S - the 4S is worse and doesn't make it through the day sometimes. It's a ridiculous situation and I can't understand why Apple is taking so long to fix it. I recently saw a woman in the Starbucks talking on her iPhone - while the phone was connected to a wall plug. So much for mobile. Steve Jobs would throw a tantrum, may he rest in peace.

Never heard of the photo issue but if Picasa is showing the pix the right way around then I can only assume that the picture orientation info is in the images and it's the windows programs that can't deal with this correctly. So either use Picasa, or manually turn the images the right way...

I usually get two days out of my 4S battery. Not as good as the old phone, I expect something that I use more, and do more stuff with to burn through the battery faster. When I drove my ’74 big block C30 I had to stop for fuel more often than I did when I drove the Corolla, just sayin’

I assume there will be some patches that will make the battery last longer, but I’m happy with the phone either way.

Well i tried various programs to see if it opens correctly and all the normal ones like windows photo viewer, IE, paint, Paint.net all show upside down but Picasa will show it correctly, I downloaded a program to read EXIF data and for orientation it shows unknow but pictures from other phones ect will say 'left'so maybe that is it, im not sure who is to blame whether it is Apple or MS, but for me it is apple becuase they at the end of the day the buck stops with them to make sure that the pictures are correctly viewable from default of the most popular OS in the world, every other camera whether it be a Blackberry or normal camera show it correctly so MS is readig that info correctly unless every other camera maker in the world writes the EXIF info incorrectly to adjust to MS bad form(which I doubt)

I guess with the battery I will just have to live with charging every night again..for the charger problem, I had a old Iphone charger floating around the house which is what I tested it on as i didnt need to unrap the new one if I had one kicking about this is the one that didnt work, but after i wrote the original thread i went home and used the charger that came with the phone and that works, these 2 chargers look exactly the same the only difference is the new one splist into 2 but the old one didnt, so i guess even though they look identical they are not and new 4s cannot use the old style chargers maybe on the 3, 3g, or 4, well for my Iphone you cannot.

Thanks for the sensible anwser,

I can understand your frustration. If it was happening to me, I'd be pissed off too. We can only hope Apple fix this issue in the next iOS release; perhaps a complaint to them might help: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html In the meantime, I can only suggest you try IrfanView - I always used that when I was a Windows user, it's fast, easy to use, and very light on system resources. According to that thread, it displays images with the correct orientation.

While we're on the subject, I found that I always held the camera 'upside down'. I mean, in the three years (and three iPhone models) before last October's release of iOS 5, I had always placed the camera so the shutter button was near my right thumb - which places the lens at the top - when taking a picture, as that seems the most logical place for the lens to be. In the four months since iOS 5, it's taken quite a bit of time and conscious effort for me to open the phone and turn the top towards the right, so the up volume button is at the top. This might be why the rumours of a camera-position shift in the upcoming model are circulating...

iPhone 4 with iOS 4 = great battery life, easy 2 days with heavy usage, more with light usage or when turning off some features. iPhone 4 with iOS 5 - battery life is now one day - I can work with that but it's significantly worse than before. Really lame & hope they'll fix it soon.

From friends with the 4S - the 4S is worse and doesn't make it through the day sometimes. It's a ridiculous situation and I can't understand why Apple is taking so long to fix it. I recently saw a woman in the Starbucks talking on her iPhone - while the phone was connected to a wall plug. So much for mobile. Steve Jobs would throw a tantrum, may he rest in peace.

Never heard of the photo issue but if Picasa is showing the pix the right way around then I can only assume that the picture orientation info is in the images and it's the windows programs that can't deal with this correctly. So either use Picasa, or manually turn the images the right way...

I can only ever get it to last two days if I don't use it, and turn off push email; but as mogandave says, I expect it to burn through more battery, because I'm always on it.

This is the annoything thing, there are plenty of websites that give info on how to save battery like turn off siri, turn off location services, turn off notifcations, turn off push email ect but these are the reasons why you buy the dam_n thing in the first place.

I need to have email on and having push email should not use any battery because if im right in thinking 'push notifications'should mean that you register that particualr service ie email with the apple push servers then the push servers monitor your email and then send it to you , if the push notifications use extra battery i can only assume that it has a permant connection with the severs which is really just polling rather than pushing, pushing should not use any extra battery.

I think i have fallen into the marketing power of apple and i feel like i have been conned out of 26k rather than a happy customer..

I mean just look though the settings and i dont seen any way to change it from 8mp to say 6 or 4 if you want to

Sounds like you did fall for the hype, rather that make an informed decision. That's no good I guess.

For me, no phone is perfect; nor will any manufacturer ever make the perfect phone - there will always be some tradeoff when it comes to the physical size of the particular device. Still, when you look at the 4S and actually think of all the technology that they have managed to squeeze into such a small device - and I mean hardware, not software, such as a dual-core 1GHz processor with dual core-graphics, an 8MB digital camera with auto focus, face detection, and an LED flash that can shoot 30fps 1080p HD video, a second VGA camera, a three-axis gyroscopic sensor, an accelerometer, a GPS, an ambient light sensor, a digital compass, a Wi-Fi receiver and transmitter, bluetooth, a 3.5 inch 960 by 640 multi-touch display, and, let's not forget, a phone... But, I digress...

It is not the Jesus phone, but it is a bloody amazing little piece of technology that I love. I have had every model iPhone since the 3G was released in July 2008, and was not entirely convinced about the 4S, but I'm glad I got one - if only for the much better picture quality. Sure the battery life sucks big time, but I can deal with that for the size of the device. I'd hate for it to grow in proportions to that of some of the newer Android devices. That all being said, Apple don't always get it right - such as this image issue - and I was an avid jail breaker on every iOS version right up to iOS 5 last year. For some, jail breaking is about getting the phone to do that little bit more, or do what it already does a little bit better, as opposed to being able to install pirated apps. In the beginning, it was mostly about cut, copy & paste - which didn't appear natively until iOS 3.0 in June of 2009 (but when it did appear, Apple's version was a much more elegant and refined implementation than any of the 3rd party attempts) and MMS, which appeared in the same release as cut, copy & paste. Again their implementation was like it had always been there. There are still some tweaks that I used while jailbroken that I would like to have, but I'm happy enough with iOS 5 to let them go until Apple decide to implement them themselves...

Anyways... Apologies for the tangent; the misses is watching a soap...

I'd suggest stick with it for a bit; try to focus on what it can do, rather than what it can't, and hope that Apple decide to account for Microsoft's disdain for their "loyal" users (by refusing to adopt a ten year old international standard).

Edit: Well, well, well, look what I just found: looks like Windows 8 will finally respect picture orientation metadata... I wonder if they'll patch Windows 7...

Edited by jamesbrock

Are you using the default Windows photo importer? The one where, when you plug your iPhone in, the 'AutoPlay' dialogue comes up? When you click 'Import Pictures and Videos', and the 'Import Pictures and Videos' dialogue box appears, there's an 'Import Settings' link on the bottom left - in that there's a check-box to 'Rotate pictures on import' - is that checked?