Unresponsive Script

Thetyim

I get the following message when accessing Gmail

untitled2.bmp

I have set dom_max script_run_time to 30seconds, but still get the same .

I cannot download a fresh Java from Sun as I always get an error message and I have tried many times.

The only way I can get Gmail to work is to set it to basic HTML

This error is also affecting other websites.

Same error FireFox and IE6.

How to fix, PLEASE, pretty pretty PLEASE

AMD Athlon 2600, XP Pro, FF 1.5, 512MB Ram, shoe size 11

No it's not the firewall. Have the same problem with Firewall disabled.

There is nothing being transmitted during the 30 seconds.

It started about three weeks ago.

At one stage I couldn't send anything, couldn't even post here.

Funny thing is I can send an email via the forum.

No it's not the firewall.  Have the same problem with Firewall disabled.

There is nothing being transmitted during the 30 seconds.

Did you (or might someone else) change any security settings at that time?

If not, the fact that it's in both browsers suggests it's a virus blocking javascript. Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date as of today, and run a scan. If it's Norton, you might have some difficulty updating without javascript :D

At one stage I couldn't send anything, couldn't even post here.

Funny thing is I can  send an email via the forum.

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to post :o As far as I know, the forum software uses HTTP POST, not javascript.

So how long have you been using Firefox 1.5? Have a look over at the Mozilla Forums to see if others are having the same problem.

Firewall would have been top of my list (blocking the Java download) but you said you disabled it. Is it possible your firewall has settings for 2 versions of Firefox? Maybe 1.5 has too high a security setting and the previous version of Firefox had a lower level? If you're not using the Windows firewall have you tried using that instead to see if it makes a difference?

Try disabling your adblocker, clear the cache and reboot.

With Gmail you can access it via http or https l think, it's mentioned in their FAQ, try both.

Before I changed to FF 1.5 I was using Beta 1 and Beta 2 versions.

But I get the same problem with IE6

I have been to Mozilla Forum, thats where I learnt about changing the script time to a longer setting but it hasn't cleared the problem.

I am using windows firewall

Adblocker, clear cache, reboot tried it.

Change OS, change modem, change phone line..... tried it.

Change to yahoo :o

I've always had probs with gmail, mainly pop access, any attachments can't be downloaded, I have 4 mails I can't see on the web based access and can't be downloaded, my yahoo account just always works, just now I couldn't send with gmail, google do do some pretty amazing stuff, but gmail is not one of them

This is from the Gmail FAQ, it may help some people having trouble logging in to Gmail.

How do I get rid of a JavaScript error?

JavaScript errors are usually caused by Internet security software and browser settings.

Here are two potential solutions:

Close all open browser windows and disable any third-party firewall, anti-virus, or ad-blocking software. Open up a new browser window, and adjust your privacy and security preferences.

To adjust your preferences in Internet Explorer, please follow these steps:

Click the 'Tools' menu at the top of your browser, and select 'Internet Options.'

Click the 'Privacy' tab at the top of the dialog box, and select 'Low.'

Click the 'Edit' button, and enter 'google.com' into the 'Address of Web site' field.

Select 'Allow' to override the handling of particular cookies.

Click the 'Security' tab at the top of the dialog box, and change the 'Security level for this zone' to 'Low.'

Click 'OK.'

Next, clear your browser's cache. To clear your browser's cache in Internet Explorer:

Click the 'Tools' menu at the top of your browser, and select 'Internet Options.'

Click the 'General' tab at the top of the dialog box.

Click 'Delete Files' under 'Temporary Internet files.'

Select 'Delete all offline content' by checking the box.

Click 'OK.'

Now open a new browser window and log back in to Gmail. Try clicking on the links that were causing problems.

If this works, you can now re-enable your third-party security or anti-virus software.

Thetyim, you say you can send an e-mail from the forum. If you use Outlook/Outlook Express, can you get into Gmail that way instead of from your browser? For me l've found that sometimes if l have a problem logging in one way, the other way usually works.