Why Is Golf So Expensive In Phuket?

ShanePashen

I love golf, play to a reasonable standard, played to a 13.6 handicap.

Pre divorce, when I was a member of local club here in Brisbane.

Still love the game, and Tennis.

Golf in Phuket is not cheap.

Certainly more expensive for a round, Than around good courses in S.E. QLD. Australia

SO why? everything else in cheaper in Thailand, or is this specific to Phuket.

1. It depends on the location of the course and the standard

Golf in Phuket is certainly expensive. the courses have a high standard and are nice, that costs a lot. The normal customer is rather a tourist then an expat or retiree. Tourists are much less price sensitive. However, prices of a green fee are different in other regions of Thailand. In the Pattaya region we have got about 18 courses, and the average green fee in high season may be around 1'200 Baht (not included caddy fee/tip and cart). While the usual pattaya golfer has a membership with Pattaya Sports Club, the green fee average may fall to 1'000 Baht. That is not too bad in my eyes.

2. Caddy make it expensive

Sometimes, it is nice to have a caddy. Especially when you play a course the first time, you may appreciate the caddys help. On the other hand, when you get used to a course and you get a bad caddy, it is just a waste of money. The caddy fee has gone up during the last year, it may cost between 250 and 350 Baht and the mandatory tipp of at least 200 Baht. So the total cost of 500 Baht for a caddy for each round adds up to a remarkable cost, when you play often.

Henry

it sounds like very reasonable to play in Pattaya.

I made some enquiries around Xmas time in HKT and they wanted around 4500 bath for a round.

And i don't remember having a caddy included, so extra on top.

I'm sure they were nice courses, and beautiful greens,

But was a bit rich from my blood, we are bit spoilt here for good courses, in Sth east QLD.

with the gold coast greater Brisbane area and sunshine coast boasting some fantastic courses.

Usually when you are in the know, you can pay Aud $50 -$75.

We don't have caddies here, I have never played with a caddy, but would I love too.

Especially on an unknown course. for yardage, club selection, and break on the greens, I must have that experience at some point.

It's also never ever the same experience with hired clubs.

As any golfer will know, almost pointless.

"SO why? everything else in cheaper in Thailand, or is this specific to Phuket."

Not true at all. There are a couple of things that are really cheap in Thailand, street food for instance, and shorts. So if you want to live in flip flops and shorts eating noodles and live in a place where you flush the toilet by scooping water into it - you certainly came to the right place.

But if you have a family to raise, education included, and want to drive a German car, drink a bottle of champagne as an aperitif before you take the missus to a nice Italian Restaurant where you want to share a bottle of nice Italian wine - then you're pretty much screwed.

Oh, and for information, golf isn't cheap in any of the cities where foreigners live or spend time (Chiang Mai and alike cities excluded). Why it is HORRIBLY expensive in Phuket I can't say, but get used to the FACT that Thailand isn't cheap unless you're prepared to leave out certain things from your list of "must have- and do:s.

• Like 2

"SO why? everything else in cheaper in Thailand, or is this specific to Phuket."

Not true at all. There are a couple of things that are really cheap in Thailand, street food for instance, and shorts. So if you want to live in flip flops and shorts eating noodles and live in a place where you flush the toilet by scooping water into it - you certainly came to the right place.

But if you have a family to raise, education included, and want to drive a German car, drink a bottle of champagne as an aperitif before you take the missus to a nice Italian Restaurant where you want to share a bottle of nice Italian wine - then you're pretty much screwed.

Oh, and for information, golf isn't cheap in any of the cities where foreigners live or spend time (Chiang Mai and alike cities excluded). Why it is HORRIBLY expensive in Phuket I can't say, but get used to the FACT that Thailand isn't cheap unless you're prepared to leave out certain things from your list of "must have- and do:s.

Ok well in that case, I'll stick to eating phad thai, in my havianas, wearing fake billabong shorts then.

And leave the sticks, and Scotty Cameron at home.

I reckon Italian food is overated, I prefer French, and adore Champagne when I have it.

• Like 1

Lots of cheap good courses in Thailand if you look. Also in many cases you can buy a lifetime membership and only pay caddy fee's to play. Bought my lifetime membership for $3500 for Panorama Golf near Pak Chong

Lots of cheap good courses in Thailand if you look. Also in many cases you can buy a lifetime membership and only pay caddy fee's to play. Bought my lifetime membership for $3500 for Panorama Golf near Pak Chong

Ehhh.....most of us might not want to drive 3-4 hours to Nakhon Ratchasima, but I'm glad you're happy.

Oh dear...

It's called Capitalism. It's the same the world over (well maybe not North Korea, but definately China).

Another name for it is "What the market will bear".

Maybe move to Chayaphum of Naan for cheaper golf.

Where I usually play near Vancouver the local course is built on top of an old tip - and sometimes the smell reminds you of this, so it's cheaper than a course in West Vancouver - the richest city in Canada.

It's called Capitalism.

The prices in Phuket is completely out of proportions. I cant think of anything else that this is caused by a syndicate.

Problem is, the less fewer customers they get, the more they increase the price. Thai style.

I wouldn't even play in Phuket for free.

Golf in LOS runs on the high side in major tourist destinations. From my experience, Pattaya has the most reasonable options for these locations. As for Phuket, this is probably the best known and priciest beach destination in TL, in numerous respects, hence the high prices. Expensive land, expensive resorts, expensive golf. Provincial TL is more reasonable.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

As a follow up to put things in perspective, golf in most tropical tourist destinations is expensive. Hawaii, Mexico, Dominican Republic, etc... In all these places green fees run around $200+ US. Plus hotels are way more expensive. At least in TL you can get a nice hotel at a cheap rate and if you pay for the expensive courses, its usually a true five star experience. The $200 courses I've played in America have been completely disappointing when compared to places like Siam CC, Santiburi, Banyan Hui Hin, to name a few. Won't pay for expensive golf in America anymore, but a round at a top course in TL is worth the occasional treat. As for my locals in California, usually pay $30 - $50 US.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• 1 month later...

I live in Hua- Hin and am a member of two clubs; The 'Springfield G & C club' a Jack Nicklaus designed 18 holes + a very tough 9 holes designed by Scott Curley. Second course is 'Lakeview G & C club' which has 4 9 hole courses to choose from,both these courses cost 3,500+ Bahts + caddy fees of say 250 + tip of 250 if you are not a member. Most of the courses around Hua-Hin cost about the same, with the exception of a Military course which although the course layout is very good it suffers from lack of TLC and this costs about 1200Baht + caddy costs.

Caddies are mandatory at all courses in Thailand ( unless somebody knows otherwise).

From what I understand course in Phuket are much more expensive than the above, probably due to Phuket's reputation as a tourist resort.

I'm travelling down to Phuket this week and will be staying in the Patong area for 5 nights and would like to get a few games in if anybody would like to make up a game or introduce me to their own club. I would be more than happy to introduce anybody that comes to Hua-Hin to my own clubs and thus you would get a round for half the normal price.

I'm a 12 handicap 69 year old, still fit and always walk the courses if I can; as I do not like buggies. as I always reckon that they take the social side away as you can't have a chat with your golfing partners as you make your way down the fairways and only meet up with them on the greens and tees.

Happy golfing to you all and if you are ever coming to Hua-Hin just PM me and we will try and get a game together.

• 2 months later...

Because Phuket is the most well known tourist destination in Thailand the golf courses there are known as some of the more expensive. But they do have some beautiful courses there such as Red Mountain. Other places in Thailand have a variety of courses and prices.

thailandgolfers dot com offers the cheapest tee times or they will refund you 2x the difference. Have a look and see what you think they also offer golf course reviews ect,

Hope this helps

• 9 months later...

As an expat living and working in Phuket the price level of the golf courses is absolutely crazy - and only getting worse. I guess it wouldn't be a problem if I was loaded with cash - but I'm not (unfortunately). I've got a local membership in Loch Palm which reduces the green fee to around half price (2100 THB excluding caddy tip and buggy of course). Every year the price goes up on both green fee and local memberships.

ALL tourists I get teamed up with think the green fee prices in Phuket are out of proportion and many will not return to Phuket for the golf which will only make it even more expensive the coming years as the clubs will just increase the prices to compensate for the lack of players and income. Wonder when this Thai spiral will end? When will they learn they are on the wrong path and that tourists actually have a limit to what they think is reasonable to pay for a round of golf? Don't get me wrong - the golf courses in Phuket are top notch but still...

As for Loch Palm - it's not a real golf club - it's a money machine. No tournaments, championships etc. for the members. Now even the local membership has been divided up in A and B members. A members are the ones that buy real estate on the golf course property.

Sadly Loch Palm is still the best deal for me as an expat that do not have the means to buy a full lifetime membership in any of the golf clubs in Phuket.

Need to find some more full membership owners to play with LOL

Edited by Sawasdeeish
  • Like 1

I love golf but I have now given the game up, I have played at a couple of the courses here in Phuket, the service is poor and most of the time the caddies provided are very poor, I can live without golf and can certainly live without the high green fees, poor service and having a useless caddie forced upon me!!

Phuket golf is like any other resort golf in the world, it's expensive. As pointed out, if you go to any of the Caribbean islands, you'll find these kinds of prices. Heck, someone mentioned Vancouver...drive up to Whistler and prices are more than double what they are in the city. Why? Very simply because they can...they don't have to rely on locals to make money and no one goes into business for charity.

So the answer is simple...If golf is an important part of your lifestyle and you don't have the money, you go somewhere else. The courses in Phuket are OK but certainly not better than many other nice courses elsewhere in Thailand at half the price. My personal favorites are in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai. Nice places to be without much of the sleaziness...

As to caddies, it's part of playing golf here. Once again, if you run a business here, you need to be providing employment to locals. Some enjoy it, some don't...The regular golfers usually find the ladies they like and tip/treat them adequately so that they are always available for them. Whining cheap charlies get what's left at their own risk. In any case, I treat them as bag carriers with no expectations. I've never been disappointed and sometimes pleasantly surprised.

Phuket golf is like any other resort golf in the world, it's expensive. As pointed out, if you go to any of the Caribbean islands, you'll find these kinds of prices. Heck, someone mentioned Vancouver...drive up to Whistler and prices are more than double what they are in the city. Why? Very simply because they can...they don't have to rely on locals to make money and no one goes into business for charity.

So the answer is simple...If golf is an important part of your lifestyle and you don't have the money, you go somewhere else. The courses in Phuket are OK but certainly not better than many other nice courses elsewhere in Thailand at half the price. My personal favorites are in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai. Nice places to be without much of the sleaziness...

As to caddies, it's part of playing golf here. Once again, if you run a business here, you need to be providing employment to locals. Some enjoy it, some don't...The regular golfers usually find the ladies they like and tip/treat them adequately so that they are always available for them. Whining cheap charlies get what's left at their own risk. In any case, I treat them as bag carriers with no expectations. I've never been disappointed and sometimes pleasantly surprised.

Yet again another person quoting cheap Charlie's!! Some of us will not except bad service, golf courses here are rife with bad service, if you are the sort of person who does not care then that is great for you, I choose not play here anymore and it's nothing to do with money!! You pay a lot to play golf here and you should expect excellent service from all aspects within the golf course, you do not get this service because the courses here know ex-pats will put up with anything, they are making a fool out of you and you obviously do not notice it!! enjoy your golf, for me I enjoy watching golf rather than playing! You say you have never been disappointed with a caddie, I am sorry but that is just not possible, the majority of caddies here are useless, I guess it all depends on what you expect of them, if your expectations are for the caddie to look cute, smile, and say what a handsome man you are then of course you will have never been disappointed!! Edited by dogpoo

You then make your choice and not play. The courses will not miss you and that's the whole point. They can afford to do it because of the tours that are dropping golfers by the busloads and the real regulars. Who cares about the guy that shows up once in a while...

As to expectations, if I'm paying someone less than 20USD for basically a whole day of work walking under a hot sun, I'm not thinking she will be doing great things particularly if there's no previous relationship. The amount of abuse they get because golfers can't play properly is ridiculous. If she can keep up with me, clean the clubs and see where my ball went when I miss it, she's done the job I expect from someone who's likely never played the game and has limited training. Everything else is gravy... As I said, you will likely never see the good ones as an occasional golfer, they have their regulars. Turnover is high because there aren't that many regulars and the job doesn't offer reliable pay. It's seasonal and weather related.

In hundreds of rounds in Thailand, I don't remember one caddie that I was truly unhappy with... If you're one of those people who constantly find fault with others and have ridiculous expectations for such a crappy job then it's more your problem than theirs and once again, you will not be missed.

You then make your choice and not play. The courses will not miss you and that's the whole point. They can afford to do it because of the tours that are dropping golfers by the busloads and the real regulars. Who cares about the guy that shows up once in a while...

As to expectations, if I'm paying someone less than 20USD for basically a whole day of work walking under a hot sun, I'm not thinking she will be doing great things particularly if there's no previous relationship. The amount of abuse they get because golfers can't play properly is ridiculous. If she can keep up with me, clean the clubs and see where my ball went when I miss it, she's done the job I expect from someone who's likely never played the game and has limited training. Everything else is gravy... As I said, you will likely never see the good ones as an occasional golfer, they have their regulars. Turnover is high because there aren't that many regulars and the job doesn't offer reliable pay. It's seasonal and weather related.

In hundreds of rounds in Thailand, I don't remember one caddie that I was truly unhappy with... If you're one of those people who constantly find fault with others and have ridiculous expectations for such a crappy job then it's more your problem than theirs and once again, you will not be missed.

It's not a crappy job compared to someone who works on a building site or in the rice fields now is it!! when I was playing golf all I expected from these caddies was to keep up, clean the clubs etc all very simple things, what I did not expect was for these caddies to talk on the phone, eat, yawn and generally show a complete indifference to the job in which they are employed! yes I had a Great laugh with some good caddies but they are few and far between especially for someone who does not play regularly, there is no excuses such as its hot, it's tiring or they have already caddied once so I am tired, not my problem!! if I am paying 5000 bht or more for a round of golf I expect good service, if you are happy to receive poor service then that is why these courses do not care about the level of competence provided by these people and the service provided with every aspect of the golfing experience!! You are allowed to complain, you do not have to except bad service!! I have decided golf is not for me in this country, I will not accept being treated like a mug by anyone!!!!

Just because there might be worse jobs in the world doesn't exactly make it a cushy one either. There are plenty of better jobs which is why there's a high turnover rate. They'd much rather work in a restaurant for example. If and when they can, they change. If they don't, it's either because they are good at it and don't have to suffer a different fool every day and can pick or they are stuck there.

You may be paying 5000 baht to the club but they see none of that. They don't even get the whole caddie fee for themselves. They also come to realize that with certain people, they could lick their boots and not get any more tip.

In any case, you are obviously not the kind of customer that warrant retention and you won't be missed. All that you can do is keep on whining about the situation on an internet forum. Meanwhile, some of us will continue to enjoy playing the game we love. If you truly loved to play, you wouldn't worry about little things and would find a way to make it work. All that negativity is more a reflection of who you are then of the state of golf in Thailand.

• Like 1

Just because there might be worse jobs in the world doesn't exactly make it a cushy one either. There are plenty of better jobs which is why there's a high turnover rate. They'd much rather work in a restaurant for example. If and when they can, they change. If they don't, it's either because they are good at it and don't have to suffer a different fool every day and can pick or they are stuck there.

You may be paying 5000 baht to the club but they see none of that. They don't even get the whole caddie fee for themselves. They also come to realize that with certain people, they could lick their boots and not get any more tip.

In any case, you are obviously not the kind of customer that warrant retention and you won't be missed. All that you can do is keep on whining about the situation on an internet forum. Meanwhile, some of us will continue to enjoy playing the game we love. If you truly loved to play, you wouldn't worry about little things and would find a way to make it work. All that negativity is more a reflection of who you are then of the state of golf in Thailand.

Lol mate, I have other things to do where I am not taken for a mug, I love golf but I would rather watch the professionals on the tv! I want simple things, things these people are unable to provide due to being lazy, if you take time to read another thread on this topic you will see I am not alone in disliking the forced upon caddie service provided in this country!! Enjoy your golf mate!!

The overall state of golf in this country is poor due to poor service, many people will not stand for poor service, I am guessing you are not one of them! as you say if you love playing the game you can overlook poor service!!

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 1

Lol mate, I have other things to do where I am not taken for a mug, I love golf but I would rather watch the professionals on the tv! I want simple things, things these people are unable to provide due to being lazy, if you take time to read another thread on this topic you will see I am not alone in disliking the forced upon caddie service provided in this country!! Enjoy your golf mate!!

The overall state of golf in this country is poor due to poor service, many people will not stand for poor service, I am guessing you are not one of them! as you say if you love playing the game you can overlook poor service!!

Using the word bitter is wrong, I dislike the caddie system in this country as do others, I choose not to play very often because of this, I hate bad service and as I have said before golf courses in this country are plagued with bad service, I have to say though when I played Black mountain it was fantastic, the service there including the caddies were 1st class, if they can do it why can't the courses on Phuket do the same?

Using the word bitter is wrong, I dislike the caddie system in this country as do others, I choose not to play very often because of this, I hate bad service and as I have said before golf courses in this country are plagued with bad service, I have to say though when I played Black mountain it was fantastic, the service there including the caddies were 1st class, if they can do it why can't the courses on Phuket do the same?

Let me suggest you play somewhere other than Phuket. You might try Pattaya and it's 20 or so golf courses and might possibly find something cheaper along with a decent caddy to serve your rigid demands.

I have been playing golf here since 1978 and have had only one bad experience with a caddy that I couldn't resolve by simply telling her to be quiet or put her phone away.

It isn't exactly rocket science how to handle them.

• Like 1

Very simply, because they don't have to...

Even members in Phuket often feel like management doesn't particularly care so the occasional golfer is unimportant. One lost customer and one hundred others are found...

I don't like having caddies either but I accept that in a developing country, it provides employment and most of them do what I expect they can do considering the cost and their level of training. Having played in other similar places around the world, I find that caddies in Thailand remain cheap and offer good value. For example, caddies in China are generally no better yet double the price. In Morocco, they were guys, a bit more expensive, they seem to know the game a little better but less polite and not afraid to have a giggle about hackers.

I completely agree that golf in Phuket is poor value compared to the rest of Thailand and I rarely spend any time there anymore.

If you choose to live in Phuket(as a golfer, I never would). You either accept it and enjoy the times you go out or you go sulking around watching TV whining about it. Most people seem to choose the former as opposed to the latter.