Why Is Golf So Expensive In Phuket?

ShanePashen

I understand the golfing situation here, for me it is not a good situation!! I do not have to put up with it so that is the reason I do not play very much, it's not a problem as I have many other things to occupy my time!! As you have already pointed out my custom will not be missed, the feeling is mutual!! Lol

Edited by dogpoo

The error is in equating service with price. It's a little bit like someone complaining about a dingy expensive flat in the middle of London and saying that you can get a beautiful house in the middle of nowhere for the same price.

If you choose to play in Phuket, you have no option but accepting the reality there because you're not going to change it so what's the point in trying to shovel water from the ocean.

That being said, in my opinion the only club that is being run close to western standard is Blue Canyon. You'll generally find caddies and personnel there better trained and unlike places like loch Palm, they don't allow mickey mouse things like fivesomes and they generally stick with their tee times and move slow pokes along. This comes at a price though just like it does at Black Mountain one of the most expensive course in Hua Hin.

The error is in equating service with price. It's a little bit like someone complaining about a dingy expensive flat in the middle of London and saying that you can get a beautiful house in the middle of nowhere for the same price.

If you choose to play in Phuket, you have no option but accepting the reality there because you're not going to change it so what's the point in trying to shovel water from the ocean.

That being said, in my opinion the only club that is being run close to western standard is Blue Canyon. You'll generally find caddies and personnel there better trained and unlike places like loch Palm, they don't allow mickey mouse things like fivesomes and they generally stick with their tee times and move slow pokes along. This comes at a price though just like it does at Black Mountain one of the most expensive course in Hua Hin.

Yes I agree with what you have said, Black mountain is cheaper than the courses here, loved that course and the whole Black mountain golf experience!! I will play again but maybe make the trip north now and again!

If you go play in August and September then the golf festival is on in Hua Hin and most courses are 800Baht. BM doesn't participate but usually slashes green fees by about half. I guess it should be 1500-2000Baht in a month or two instead of 3600Baht.

Last summer, I didn't even bother to go...I was quite happy sticking with Sea Pines, Springfield and Majestic for only 800Baht. Now that is value for money.

In May and June, Alpine in Chiang Mai is also 800 Baht which is fantastic value because the course is as nice as anything in Phuket.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a week of vacation in Phuket and played (for the first time) Red Mountain twice. I play regularly at Black Mountain in Hua Hin and have been visiting Hua Hin for 20+ years to play golf. Hence I was curious to compare the two courses.

Red Mountain is a truly memorable golfing experience. The course is one of the most scenically dramatic courses I have played - the majority of the holes are quite amazing visually. And that is I think the strongest point about the course - it is truly spectacular, and the experience will live in my memory for a long time. The first round had a real wow factor. I suspect for some elite level golfers the core underlying golf architecture may not quite live up to the surrroundings or the level of the green fee. My sense is that while the course layout is excellent as a resort course, I am not certain it is a great championship course. Frankly this is not a judgement I am well qualified to make, and time will tell. The condition of the course was very good (not outstanding) and both caddies were extremely competent. It is very hilly with some extremely long path connections from certain greens to the next tee, so complusory carts make sense.

The two main downsides - slow play and cost. Phuket receives a lot of visitors from Thailand/SE Asia and typically these golfers play 4 balls with extensive gambling - significant amounts of money can ride on every shot so they tend to be slow. Because Phuket has relatively few courses compared to the volume of visitors this issue is exacerbated, and Red Mountain perhaps suffers most because it is currently perceived by many people I spoke to to be the best course on the island (ahead of Blue Canyon). My sense is this is a bigger issue in Phuket than, say, Hua Hin.The marshalls try to assist faster players by jumping them forward a few holes but this soon becomes problematic - you forget which holes you have played/are on, loose a sense of the layout, at some point have to go back to play holes which were missed out (thereby cutting in ahead of others), meanwhile other players are leepfrogging you. It is not really a solution. You just have to be prepared for a slow round.

The cost is very high compared to comparable course in Thailand - Bt6700 including caddie fee and compulsory cart. I would not want to pay that on a regular basis but for a truly special experience it was ok. Costs in Phuket cannot really be compared with anywhere else in Thailand other than Bangkok, it is by Thai standards an extremely expensive place. Why? It is the pre-eminent playground of the rich/super rich in SE Asia.

I am much more familiar with Black Mountain in Hua Hin. Both are great courses, but I am quite convinced Black Mountain is the better, overall. The layout at Black Mountain is better, the holes are harder, represent a better test of golf, and are more interesting with more significant risk/reward decisions. Simply the best holes at Black are better than the best holes at Red. The condition as Black Mountain is better - it is and always has been truly exceptional and a result of a vast army of workers constantly toiling away. By comparason in two rounds at Red Mountain I saw very few workers. Red Mountain wows you with its scenery, Black Mountain wins out in my opinion as a pure test of golf. Hua Hin is very significantly cheaper than Phuket in every respect, and this is also the case as regards golf.

These types of comparasons are very subjective, and no doubt others will view things differently. They are both splendid courses and it is a real treat to play either.

• 1 month later...

It's expensive because everything in Phuket is a rip off.

Play in Pattaya, there are dozens of courses of all standards within an hours drive, and they are much cheaper (with a few notable PGA-standard exceptions).