South West Wind

Gone

Just tested that out on the wife, she looks at me like I'm crazy and says "what the <deleted> are you talking about". At least her English is coming along fine....

Tested what out?

I had heard of this "translation" before and quized the locals and they had no clue to what I was talking about ? I also heard it called the South "East" Monsoon wind ?

Now if we can only get all expats and visitors to pronounce PATTAYA correctly......if you go round the bars and Go Go joints - you might hear an old song about the town...

it gives you all the clues how to say it.

Pattaya, Pattaya Hello sexy man I like you very big.....etc...broken down the word is PAH THAI YAH......now just run those words together - easy and nothing like anyone says it on local Expat radio and Cable channels....I know I might be a bit pedantic but ....could it be more simple...?

Edited by lonewolf99

I had heard of this "translation" before and quized the locals and they had no clue to what I was talking about ? I also heard it called the South "East" Monsoon wind ?

Now if we can only get all expats and visitors to pronounce PATTAYA correctly......if you go round the bars and Go Go joints - you might hear an old song about the town...

Pattaya, Pattaya Hello sexy man I like you very big.....etc...broken down the word is PAH THAI YAH......now just run those words together - easy and nothing like anyone says it on local Expat radio and Cable channels....I know I might be a bit pedantic but ....could it be more simple...?

Even that so-called "superstar" DJ in Pattaya, the over-exposed one on local cable TV, cannot even pronounce it the same within the same TV commercial: we hear him say both 'pa-tee-ya' and 'pa-tie-ya'

If I remember right we had this discussion shortly.

Correct spelling and pronounciation (rarely heard to be honest) is easy to lookup at thai-language.com.

http://www.thai-language.com/id/139148#def3

พัทยา

1. a tax or tithe

2. the southwest wind

3. Pattaya, the beach resort on the Gulf of Thailand, southeast of Bangkok

Pronounced like this:

http://www.thai-language.com/mp3/E139148.mp3

If I remember right we had this discussion shortly.

Correct spelling and pronounciation (rarely heard to be honest) is easy to lookup at thai-language.com.

http://www.thai-lang.../id/139148#def3

พัทยา

1. a tax or tithe

2. the southwest wind

3. Pattaya, the beach resort on the Gulf of Thailand, southeast of Bangkok

Pronounced like this:

TAX, ha!

OP says American servicemen in Pattaya in 1959.

Is this correct --- not aware of time line for which war. Can somebody make sense, please ?

For centuries, Pattaya was a small fishing village. But a change occurred on 26 April 1961, when the first group of about 100 American servicemen who were fighting in the Vietnam War arrived in Pattaya for relaxation.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya
Due to the early presence of American troops in Vietnam the start date of the Vietnam War is a grey zone. In 1998 after a high level review by the Department of Defense (DoD) and through the efforts of Richard B. Fitzgibbon's family the start date of the Vietnam War was changed to 1 November 1955. U.S. government reports currently cite 1 November 1955 as the commencement date of the “Vietnam Conflict,” for this was the day when the U.S. Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) in Indochina (deployed to Southeast Asia under President Truman) was reorganized into country-specific units and MAAG Vietnam was established. Other start dates include when Hanoi authorized Viet Cong forces in South Vietnam to begin a low-level insurgency in December 1956, whereas some view 26 September 1959 when the first battle occurred between the Communist and South Vietnamese army

Source: http://en.wikipedia....te-start_date-0

Edited by BB1950

OP says American servicemen in Pattaya in 1959.

Is this correct --- not aware of time line for which war. Can somebody make sense, please ?

For centuries, Pattaya was a small fishing village. But a change occurred on 26 April 1961, when the first group of about 100 American servicemen who were fighting in the Vietnam War arrived in Pattaya for relaxation.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya
Due to the early presence of American troops in Vietnam the start date of the Vietnam War is a grey zone. In 1998 after a high level review by the Department of Defense (DoD) and through the efforts of Richard B. Fitzgibbon's family the start date of the Vietnam War was changed to 1 November 1955. U.S. government reports currently cite 1 November 1955 as the commencement date of the “Vietnam Conflict,” for this was the day when the U.S. Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) in Indochina (deployed to Southeast Asia under President Truman) was reorganized into country-specific units and MAAG Vietnam was established. Other start dates include when Hanoi authorized Viet Cong forces in South Vietnam to begin a low-level insurgency in December 1956, whereas some view 26 September 1959 when the first battle occurred between the Communist and South Vietnamese army

Source: http://en.wikipedia....te-start_date-0

Yeah, what he said. lol. I didn't say anything actually. Just posted the link. I just thought it was kinda cool to know a little about the place I'm staying.

Even that so-called "superstar" DJ in Pattaya, the over-exposed one on local cable TV, cannot even pronounce it the same within the same TV commercial: we hear him say both 'pa-tee-ya' and 'pa-tie-ya'

haha I hate that too. Same when they pronounce Chiang Mai as Chang mai.

I agree with both of you. I cringe when I hear people, who should know better but don't, mispronouncing the name. Same goes for the hundreds of visitors and so-called residents saying Jontiem or Wah Hin. It's Hua Hin, (pronounced Hooa Hin).

Edit: Spelling Ha ha ha

Edited by GamLing

Anyway.....

even on Koh Phangan the south west wind is known as "lom pattaya" and brings fierce if short lived winds and horizontal rain. It goes as fast as it comes. Always a sight to see, the entire horizon black as the clouds move in and then one hour later, all is clear and there are broken branches everywhere.