Application For Marriage Extension To Be Submitted 21 Days Before Current Visa Expires?

I have seen this alleged new requirement mentioned on several fora and by a Thai lawyer in Phuket. Is it true? No provenance was given and I have checked the current Immigration website details but found no reference to it. If it were the case then the requirement to have 400,000 lodged in a savings account for two months would have to be actioned fairly smartish. In practice, the visa would only be effective for 69 days and not 90. Incidentally, I have also seen several law practitioners expressing doubt that the lodging of 400,000 is available to all applicants for marriage extensions and then claiming, again without attributing the source of their information, that this avenue is only open to those who were grandfathered in on that basis before 2006. They further claim that new applicants can only qualify for such an extension by showing a monthly income of 40,000 even though the official Thai website states unambiguously otherwise.

I thought I had a handle on this but when one falls over contradictory information doubts do begin to creep in.

Can someone please confirm or refute authoritatively these alleged changes.

Extensions for marriage can be done any time in the last 30 days prior to the visa/extension expiring.

The extension is given from the end of the current permission to stay date, so you don't lose any time by applying 30 days early.

400k in the bank for 2 months (first extension), or 3 months for extensions after that.

OR

40k monthly income. For domestic income you show proof with tax forms, for income from abroad by a letter from your embassy.

As said application before expiration of permitted to stay (within last 30 days most places) and 400k for two months or 40k income are allowed.

That 21 days is the old requirement for conversion to non immigrant visa entry in the process of extension of stay - not for extension of stay. And most places no longer require that amount of time even for that process.

My experience in Pattaya is that they would not allow me to apply for the extension until the week before the expiration date. Went in 2 weeks before, as it fit my work schedule, and was told to come back the following week.

This was for a one year extension of stay for Thai wife or retirement? Most reports from there say up to two months early are allowed so that is a radical change.

Wonder if there might have been another reason such as too busy?

This was for a one year extension of stay for Thai wife or retirement? Most reports from there say up to two months early are allowed so that is a radical change.

Wonder if there might have been another reason such as too busy?

With the immigration offices you never know, they can and do change their own rules sometimes on a daily basis.

If the officer is in a good mood almost everything is possible and when he is in a bad mood nothing is possible.

Hi, newby on this forum asking a silly question. I thought that yearly income + Bank balance should be more than 400K?

This seems to be not well known, maybe because it isn't true? As it happens I have 47K a month so am ok, but I remember my distress when I was initially told that I needed 400K in the bank, and that's it..

Same thing for retirement visa? yearly income + bank balance should be more than 800K?

You do not have a choice of using combination with Thai wife extension - it is either 400k in account two months or 40k per month income. For retirement you can use 800k in account 2/3 months or 65k per month income or a combination to meet 800k per year.

You do not have a choice of using combination with Thai wife extension - it is either 400k in account two months or 40k per month income. For retirement you can use 800k in account 2/3 months or 65k per month income or a combination to meet 800k per year.

Ah, thanks very much . It is all very confusing. Even when I think I have soaked it all up I won't believe it until I actually have the visa in my pocket

Ah, thanks very much . It is all very confusing. Even when I think I have soaked it all up I won't believe it until I actually have the visa in my pocket

It is not so confusing.

As said by Lopburi3

Marriage extension : 400.000 Baht in account ( in your own name only and 2 months for first extension and 3 months for consecutive extensions ) OR 40.000 baht income ( with tax papers if earned in Thailand or with Embassy letter if from overseas )

Retirement extension : 800.000 baht in account ( in your own name only and 2 months for first extension and 3 months for consecutive extensions ) OR 65.000 Baht a month pension/income ( certified by embassy ) OR an combination of those two which results in at least 800.000 Baht income/account money a year. ( sometimes they use the 800.000 Baht a year as guideline and sometimes they use the 65.000 baht a month as guideline )

• Like 1